Drayton Wiser TRV Problem

wahman

Hi, on Friday there I bought the Drayton Home Wiser kit with 1 thermostat and 2 TRVs from amazon for 85 quid. This is perfect for our small apartment where we can control the living room and bedroom radiators, and have a hallway thermostat as before.

Managed to install everything which amazed me as I am absolute plop at DIY/Home improvements... however, there is a slight issue with the TRVs.

The TRVS replaced old Danfoss ones, which was an easy swap. They have connected to the system without issue. However the living room one, even when I put it on boost, will not allow the radiator to warm up. I can hear the solenoid open so should allow hot water to flow but it will not warm up :(

The same with the bedroom, however it warms up ever so slightly, like as if it was the old Danfoss TRV set to 1 or 2 out of 5.

Can anyone offer any advice please? Thanks

Fabien

Do the rads warm up when you remove the TRVs completely?

If so, check if there is further calibration to be done on the new TRVs

If not, check that yours rads don’t need bleeding

Fabien

wahman

Do the rads warm up when you remove the TRVs completely?

If so, check if there is further calibration to be done on the new TRVs

If not, check that yours rads don’t need bleeding

Fabien

Yeah when I unscrew the smart TRV the radiator starts to warm up as normal. So I am not sure if the calibration needs changing, when i took the Danfoss TRVs off I had them both set to 5... not sure that would have made a difference as I presume the pin is on a spring to open fully when not adjusted?

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Hi
the £85 deal was a steal
I have a Drayton Wiser system and it works perfectly so I am puzzled by your problems

first have you checked that the small pin on the valve body is moving freely,you should be able push it down so that the flow stops when released it should pop up again and flow restarts?

have you bled the radiator?

calibration cannot be simpler,
were the 3 lights flashing when you screwed the TRV body tight onto the valve?

once mounted you should just need to turn the TRV to the right for 2 seconds,you should hear the TRV close and that's the calibration complete

to test the system turn the top of the TRV to the left and let go that will boost the temperature in that room by 2deg you should hear the valve open and the boiler should come on

turn to the right and let go to stop the boost

wahman

Hi
the £85 deal was a steal
I have a Drayton Wiser system and it works perfectly so I am puzzled by your problems

first have you checked that the small pin on the valve body is moving freely,you should be able push it down so that the flow stops when released it should pop up again and flow restarts?

have you bled the radiator?

calibration cannot be simpler,
were the 3 lights flashing when you screwed the TRV body tight onto the valve?

once mounted you should just need to turn the TRV to the right for 2 seconds,you should hear the TRV close and that's the calibration complete

to test the system turn the top of the TRV to the left and let go that will boost the temperature in that room by 2deg you should hear the valve open and the boiler should come on

turn to the right and let go to stop the boost
Aye I had a camelcamelcamel notification on for when Amazon would next have the kit for sub £100. :)

So i think i did push the pin last night and it wouldn't budge/didn't move easily... so maybe that's the issue?

Setting it up and adding to my app etc was easy indeed! i think once the TRV issue is solved i will be delighted with it.

Out of interest, for others in the home that want to control the system on their phone, do you give them your login details and they log in to the app that way, or should they register as being 'not the home owner'?

thanks again for feedback

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Aye I had a camelcamelcamel notification on for when Amazon would next have the kit for sub £100. :)

So i think i did push the pin last night and it wouldn't budge/didn't move easily... so maybe that's the issue?

Setting it up and adding to my app etc was easy indeed! i think once the TRV issue is solved i will be delighted with it.

Out of interest, for others in the home that want to control the system on their phone, do you give them your login details and they log in to the app that way, or should they register as being 'not the home owner'?

thanks again for feedback
seized or sticky pins can always cause problems
when calibrating the WiserTRV will run closed until it hits resistance so a sticky valve is not good

Try a drop of WD40 on the pin
then you can very very gently give the pin a tap with a hammer
or take something solid and push the pin down a few times to exercise it
failing that unfortunately you would need to replace the valve body

As for multiple users I don't really know, ask on Google or contact Wiser support they are very good in responding

PsyVision

Distinguished Member
Do your TRV install directly on the thread of the radiator valve or through the use of an adaptor? For example some of the Tado TRV adapters are quite large and thus come with pin extenders to enable the TRV to push the valve properly.

wahman

Do your TRV install directly on the thread of the radiator valve or through the use of an adaptor? For example some of the Tado TRV adapters are quite large and thus come with pin extenders to enable the TRV to push the valve properly.
It came with an adapter for the kind of TRV i had previously so should be fine i'd hope

gr1nch

Novice Member
I've been reinstalling our Wiser TRVs recently as we are going through the phases of a home renovation and had similar problems to yours OP, now resolved.
Suggest you go through these steps for each TRV - they worked for me.
  1. Reboot. Reinsert the batteries after a short gap, e.g. 10 seconds. Make sure you get a strong red LED and that the solenoid electrically retracts the pin into the body to its maximum, so the TRV is fully open. If this does not happen, then swap the batteries out with others until it does.
  2. Ensure the black plastic adapter is fitted fully onto the radiator valve - down as far as it will go and screw that little bolt on tight enough that you can't pull the adapter off by hand.
  3. Fit the TRV screwing it by hand as far as it will go. You should still hear the water streaming through as the TRV is still fully open.
  4. Calibrate the TRV by turning and holding it to minus (the blue LED). The TRV pin should descend onto the valve pin and close off the valve.
  5. Once that is all fine, test the valve opens as you'd expect and hope, both manually by hand (with a short twist to plus) and via the App.

wahman

I've been reinstalling our Wiser TRVs recently as we are going through the phases of a home renovation and had similar problems to yours OP, now resolved.
  1. Reboot. Reinsert the batteries after a short gap, e.g. 10 seconds. Make sure you get a strong red LED and that the solenoid electrically retracts the pin into the body to its maximum, so the TRV is fully open. If this does not happen, then swap the batteries out with others until it does.
  2. Ensure the black plastic adapter is fitted fully onto the radiator valve - down as far as it will go and screw that little bolt on tight enough that you can't pull the adapter off by hand.
  3. Fit the TRV screwing it by hand as far as it will go. You should still hear the water streaming through as the TRV is still fully open.
  4. Calibrate the TRV by turning and holding it to minus (the blue LED). The TRV pin should descend onto the valve pin and close off the valve.
  5. Once that is all fine, test the valve opens as you'd expect and hope, both manually by hand (with a short twist to plus) and via the App.

Thanks I did this with both TRVs last night. Also put a spot of WD40 on the wee pin to make sure it moved more freely, and they now work :)

My issue is now....... the kitchen radiator comes on whenever the bedroom or living room rad tells the boiler to fire up. I realise this would have happened previously when I had one thermostat in the hallway that told the boiler to heat the whole flat (ie any radiators fully open)... but now I am thinking- if tell the bedroom to heat up 9-11pm, and the living room 5-10pm etc- will this just mean the boiler is on from 5-11pm? If so- how would I start saving any money?

Would having the boiler firing on, and wiser TRVs turning the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom rads off, and just the living room radiater being heated... would this save me money, or is it a case of boiler on for 3 hours heating one rad will use same as if the boiler is running heating 4 rads? Maybe a dumb question sorry

neilball

Just because your boiler is allowed to run for the period you have set it will only fire when the water temperature is low enough for its control thermostat to call for heat (the thermostat on the boiler itself). As there are fewer radiators allowed to operate then the water will be heated more quickly and therefore the boiler will switch off more quickly. Depending on the boiler it will actually close off its gas valve too to modulate the burner when the flow and return temperatures are close to each other as it uses this as a measure of heating demand - large differences in flow and return mean high demand, closer temperatures mean low demand. So yes, you will save gas compared to the original setup. I’m not fully aware of the Wiser system but assume it also has a boiler demand relay module that means if all it’s TRVs are satisfied it also turns off the boiler, so again once the room temperatures are satisfied the boiler will also stop firing.

wahman

Just because your boiler is allowed to run for the period you have set it will only fire when the water temperature is low enough for its control thermostat to call for heat (the thermostat on the boiler itself). As there are fewer radiators allowed to operate then the water will be heated more quickly and therefore the boiler will switch off more quickly. Depending on the boiler it will actually close off its gas valve too to modulate the burner when the flow and return temperatures are close to each other as it uses this as a measure of heating demand - large differences in flow and return mean high demand, closer temperatures mean low demand. So yes, you will save gas compared to the original setup. I’m not fully aware of the Wiser system but assume it also has a boiler demand relay module that means if all it’s TRVs are satisfied it also turns off the boiler, so again once the room temperatures are satisfied the boiler will also stop firing.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. really informative.

I am worndering if for being economical, if the shedules for all the rooms should match such that... if its an evening time, the living room wants to be 21C, the bedrooms can be left off as with the kitchen and bathroom (kitchen normally warmed by oven being on)... but rather than the other 3 rooms being OFF completely and left to just drop in temp entirely, but rather set their thermstats to 18/19 just so that a trickle of heat keeps them ticking over? and maybe that would use less energy later on when its getting to bed time and the boiler needs to get the room fromm 16C up to 21? TIA

neilball

In most cases I would have rooms that are not being used at that particular time set back to 16 degrees - cool enough to save energy but not so cold as to take an age to warm up to comfort levels when you want to use them. In most cases you save more energy by not using the heating in a room than by just dropping the temperature by a degree or two. The beauty of the room-zoned controls is that you can target the temperature settings if each room precisely based on your regular movements through the house but still easily override when you need too.

I have underfloor heating throughout at home, which responds more slowly than radiators, but still benefit from setting the main rooms to be heated when we use them rather than the whole house being on or off at the same time. So bedrooms and bathrooms are heated morning and night, kitchen, dining and office/study are on through the day (but office not on at weekends) etc. My eldest son is away at Uni so his bedroom is kept a 16 degrees 24/7 just now, but will go back to timed control when he returns for the Christmas holidays in a week or two.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Really need more info how many rooms and what is controlling the temperature in those rooms
because there are so many variables I am going to ignore the boiler for the moment

I assume you have one Wiser thermostat
and 2x Wiser TRV's
I also assume that the Thermostat in the Hall
one TRV in the living room and one TRV in the bedroom

the logic behind smart TRV's is you don't heat empty rooms this only really works if every room has a smart TRV
when the Hall, living room or bedroom TRV calls for heat it fires the boiler any room that doesn't have a means of controlling its temperature will be heated

Wiser devices work by Heat on demand so use a schedule for each device
make sure the temperature you set outside of a schedule is low enough to prevent the device from demanding heat when you don't want it

ie. Bedroom TRV, one time slot = bedroom to heat up 9-11pm at 21deg
second time slot 11pm to 07.00am at 15deg (min overnight temperature)
third time slot 07.00am 18deg to keep the room at 18deg minimum temperature all day

wahman

In most cases I would have rooms that are not being used at that particular time set back to 16 degrees - cool enough to save energy but not so cold as to take an age to warm up to comfort levels when you want to use them. In most cases you save more energy by not using the heating in a room than by just dropping the temperature by a degree or two. The beauty of the room-zoned controls is that you can target the temperature settings if each room precisely based on your regular movements through the house but still easily override when you need too.

I have underfloor heating throughout at home, which responds more slowly than radiators, but still benefit from setting the main rooms to be heated when we use them rather than the whole house being on or off at the same time. So bedrooms and bathrooms are heated morning and night, kitchen, dining and office/study are on through the day (but office not on at weekends) etc. My eldest son is away at Uni so his bedroom is kept a 16 degrees 24/7 just now, but will go back to timed control when he returns for the Christmas holidays in a week or two.

Thanks a lot... I think you have convinced me to get two more smart TRV's and put them in the bathroom and the kitchen. The kitchen rad is a fancy looking one that is ment to look old but is actually about a year old, I saw it on gumtree marked as new/unused from a posh area near where i live, they didnt end up using it in an extension and i got it for a steal... but when its on it kicks out so much heat i think it was too powerful from the room :laugh: but it looks good :) so a smart TRV which will irk my wife no doubt will help our bill as i am sure it really eats up the combi use... so no point having that on at full beans whenever the bedroom/living room fires up

wahman

Really need more info how many rooms and what is controlling the temperature in those rooms
because there are so many variables I am going to ignore the boiler for the moment

I assume you have one Wiser thermostat
and 2x Wiser TRV's
I also assume that the Thermostat in the Hall
one TRV in the living room and one TRV in the bedroom

the logic behind smart TRV's is you don't heat empty rooms this only really works if every room has a smart TRV
when the Hall, living room or bedroom TRV calls for heat it fires the boiler any room that doesn't have a means of controlling its temperature will be heated

Wiser devices work by Heat on demand so use a schedule for each device
make sure the temperature you set outside of a schedule is low enough to prevent the device from demanding heat when you don't want it

ie. Bedroom TRV, one time slot = bedroom to heat up 9-11pm at 21deg
second time slot 11pm to 07.00am at 15deg (min overnight temperature)
third time slot 07.00am 18deg to keep the room at 18deg minimum temperature all day

Yeah this is what I have currently. so I think i need a smart TRV on the bathroom and kitchen to stop them firing up thru the evening when the boiler is being told to heat the living room up- as it is then leaving the kitchen and bathroom rad on full

whitegold

Hi there - NEVER give your own email/login details to other people.
INSTEAD : Create a new gmail (or hotmail etc) account/email address specifically for your Wiser Hub.
Then you can happily share that with other people. Obviously you'll need to reset the Hub, to delete your own email and create a new wiser Account for future use. There's a section in the user manual that explains how to change your email address.
The help desk are pretty good, especially if you use email - phone support is patchy and not easy to get level 2 assistance.

sheath

Novice Member

sheath

Novice Member
I am new to this forum, but continue to have all of the issues that were raised by gr1inch. I have worked in numerous calls with Wiser help desk, but still have the same issue. The issue is that while the electronics sound like they are working, the valves either open too much or not at all. I have Danfoss RA valves (confirmed by Danfoss) so have used the supplied Danfoss adapter. After calibration which itself seems to sound like the solenoid inside the TRV takes around 10 seconds to close, when the TRV is sent a signal to open, it sounds like the opening only lasts 2 seconds, net result no heat. I have done the WD40 but but still no joy. Any advice on how far down the adapter is supposed to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom