For Sale Draytek 2820n & Netgear N300 WNR2000 v2

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by Rebel154, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Draytek 2820n ADSL Modem/Router

Due to an upgrade, I am selling this modem/router. The modem side is ADSL only but there is a WAN port for connecting a VDSL modem such as that supplied by BT for BT Infinity - which is how I was using it.

The device has been in near continuous use for several years (I think I bought it in either 2008 or 2009 but I can't be sure). The aerials and top of the case in places have 'yellowed' through age but this obviously has no effect on the operation of the unit.

Full specifications for the router can be found here at the Draytek web site.

I have the original box and the unit will be supplied with power supply (no other cables included - ignore the phone cable in the pictures as it is the wrong type and belongs to a Sky box). The unit has been factory reset.

£35 including 1st class postage (Signed For).

Draytek 2820n - 1.jpg Draytek 2820n - 2.jpg Draytek 2820n - 3.jpg Draytek 2820n - 4.jpg Draytek 2820n - 5.jpg

Netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000 v2

I bought this in March 2011 when I (mistakenly) thought my 2820n (above) wouldn't work with a fibre connection (the now defunct Digital Region of South Yorkshire). It was only used for a couple of days at the most as I eventually figured out how to set up the 2820n. It's been collecting dust ever since. There are some minor scratches on the highly polished sides but nothing that will detract from its performance. The original protective film on the front face is still in place.

I have the original box and it will be supplied with the original stand and power supply (no other cables included). The unit has been factory reset.

£25 including 1st class postage (Signed For).

NetGear WNR2000 V2 - 1.jpg NetGear WNR2000 V2 - 2.jpg NetGear WNR2000 V2 - 3.jpg NetGear WNR2000 V2 - 6.jpg

Payment via bank transfer or PayPal Gift only please. Cash on collection is also an option.

Price and currency: See text
    Delivery: Delivery cost is included
    Payment method: Bank Transfer or PayPal Gift. Collection possible
    Advertised elsewhere?: Not advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I have no preference

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Any offers?

3. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Which would you say is the better of the two routers? I'm looking for something to replace our HH5. I still have an OR modem from when we were using a HH3, so I assume I'd need to connect that to whichever of these I went for?

And how good is the wifi on each? We have solid walls so need something with a little bit of oomph. Having said that the HH5 doesn't seem to have problems reaching any room in the house so as long as its replacement is no worse than that it'll be fine.

4. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's hard to say. I have used the 2820n for several years with no issues. It only has one 1GB LAN port (the other 3 are 100mb). I believe the HH5 is all GB ports. The Netgear ports are all 100mb.

You would need to use the OR modem with either of these routers - there's a dedicated separate WAN2 port on the 2820n and an 'Internet' port on the Netgear. Both accept standard RJ45 network cables.

Wi-Fi wise, both support the 2.4GHz band only (so no 5GHz or ac wifi). I live in a bungalow which is 13m long and with the 2820n, I could get a signal (albeit it a weak one) from one end to other after passing through 3 walls (2 brick) but obviously I cannot speak for (or guarantee) the performance in your home. I can't recall the wi-fi performance of the Netgear but I'm reasonably confident that I would have got signal similar to the 2820n.

Please bear in mind that neither of these routers are sporting the latest technology although they obviously will still work. The 2820n will also work with ADSL directly but I assume you're on BT Infinity so not something you would need. The Netgear is a cable only router with no ADSL facility.

As I said in the OP, the Netgear was only used for 2 or 3 days until I managed to get the 2820N working with my then fibre connection - which has now disappeared from the market. I have never tried the Netgear with BT Infinity but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Finally, the 2820n is a business level modem/router with loads of features that the average home-user (like me) will never use or possibly even understand. Please have a look at the reviews of these routers to see if they fit your needs and please remember that they are not the latest technology (I thought it worth repeating that bit).

Thanks for your interest.

5. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A quick update - I've just dug the boxes out of the loft and can now state that the 2820n will also be supplied with one unused network cable and one unused telephone cable (RJ11 at both ends) as well as an installation CD. There should be a quick start guide but I don't know where that is but if I find it, it will be included.

The Netgear will be supplied with one unused RJ45 network cable as well as some paperwork that was kept in the box.

These extras are in addition to the power adapters etc that were listed in the OP.

6. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Hi!

Thanks for the quick and extremely detailed reply!

Yes, we're on BT Infinity.

I don't think that the router being "not the latest technology" will be a problem for us as we only tend to use our kit for internet browsing and streaming Netflix/NowTV, and not shifting huge files around at high speeds. However please correct me if I'm missing something blindingly obvious with that statement...

A friend at work really rates his Draytek unit (although he bought a brand new current model) so I'm leaning towards your 2820 more than the N300.

How much of a faff was it getting it working with your fibre service (don't know if you had/have BT?). In my (simplistic) mind I'm hoping it's as simple as swapping the cables over and setting the new router up for the BT broadband account and away we go! :D

However I'll take your advice and do a bit of research though, just to convince myself I'm not setting myself up for hours of anguish when I can't get something to work properly. Hopefully I'll get back to you over the weekend, assuming it hasn't been sold in the interim.

7. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It is quite easy to set up using the WAN2 port. It's just a case of entering the default username ([email protected] with no password) for BT Infinity, which is what I was using it with, check a few other settings and away you go.

I have actually still got the screenshots I made when transferring to my new modem/router so I could double check any settings but as it happens I didn't need them. I could upload them to my Dropbox account if you want to take a look.

Thinking about it, I could set it up for BT Infinity and make sure it connects before I post it out and then it should be as easy as plug'n'play. There's none of my personal info in the router (although there is some in the screenshots I mentioned - I'll omit those or doctor them accordingly).

In case you're wondering why I upgraded, it was because I wanted a wi-fi network that supported the several 5GHz devices I have in my home.

The only other thing I want to reiterate is the discolouration of areas of the upper surface of the case and the antennas. If the cosmetic appearance is important to you, you may want to look elsewhere.

8. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The discoloration doesn't bother me. My wife on the other hand... :D

Anyway I'm getting very tempted with this!

How low can you go with the price? (This might sound like I'm being tight (which I probably am) but in my mind I'm playing this off against, amongst other options, a new TP-LINK TD-W9980 which is £60 and with a 3 year warranty. I'm a natural ditherer...).

9. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I've priced this based on what they have generally gone for on a certain auction site whilst also making an allowance for the discolouration. I am reluctant to go much lower but I am obviously also open to sensible offers. I've also included 1st class signed for delivery will eat £4.45 of any payment.

As for the TP-LINK TD-W9980, that would suit you a lot better as it is an all in one box and you wouldn't need the OR modem.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if I were you, I'd go for the TP-Link unless money was a problem.

10. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Apologies for the tardy response - busy weekend!

I appreciate your advice, thank you. I'll have a bit more of a think about it - away for a bit now anyway so can't commit to anything in the short term. TP Link option sounds okay but obviously I'd prefer to spend as little as possible! :)

11. LotusElan

LotusElan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Hi!

Just to keep you up to date I've made an offer for a router on another thread on here. I'm being a cheapskate as I'm not sure if it's an issue we have with our current router or BT itself (despite many calls...) so don't want to fork out too much if we just end up with the same problem but using different hardware!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

12. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll be listing both of these routers on ebay this weekend if there is there is no further interest on here.

13. Rebel154

Rebel154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I never did get these devices listed on eBay so I'll offer them here again for one last time before I close this thread.