Draught from recessed spot lights

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an extension completed three years ago, 3 metres out the back, the entire width of our house.

Whilst we have radiators in the existing building, we have underfloor heating in the new build and it works great. However, on occasions and in certain areas, there's a right draught.

I've figured out this draught is coming from the recessed light fittings in the flat ceiling. Travelling down the slopping ceiling and down the walls and hitting you on the shoulders if sat in the wrong place.

I've googled a bit and it appears to be a common problem, and there's all sorts of solutions that may or may not be possible.

The space above the lights is just timber and roofing, there's no access to any of it without removing the roof or ripping down the ceiling.

Has anyone successfully addressed a draught problem like this or have any good suggestions?

Attached is a picture from just over 3 years ago before we completed. There's is a total of 9 recessed spotlights stretching a length of 10 metres.

Last edited:
Picture

Attachments

• Ipad Pictures 1255.jpg
    Ipad Pictures 1255.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,636
Are they fire rated down lighters? If not I assume fire rated ones are by definition draught proof and the simplest fix would be to swap them over for fire rated ones..

i put in these downlights recently in our extension, great light and as it is sealed unit there no draft through the light.

Savona AC LED Downlight
for added peice of mind i will be putting a sealant (not sure which one yet) onto the outer ring to stop any chance of a draft (although there is none atm)

it does mean if one goes faulty you have to change thee whole unit, but i dont expect that to happen anytime soon.

Are they fire rated down lighters? If not I assume fire rated ones are by definition draught proof and the simplest fix would be to swap them over for fire rated ones..

Not too sure. I'm going to suggest they're not as I remember the builder building boxes around them out of fire resistant board. But obviously not well enough.

Our kitchen downlights are also drafty, although I only really noticed when I changing bulbs from halogen to LED.
You get these things called 'Thermahoods' as per below link, but I never took it any further as it didn't look like retro-fitting was feasible.

Downlight Attic Seal - Thermahood Downlight Cover

Thanks. I can't see how you could fit these retrospectively without damaging the ceiling, and there's no way there's enough cable up there to do anything other than pull the light fitting 1/2 an inch towards you when changing bulbs.

I don't think I can change the fittings too easily, and don't really want to at this stage. I was hoping for a sealant solution or maybe some sort of gasket?

What's the roof covering? Is it a flat roof or tiled?

@DJT75 It would seem my initial advice was wrong. I've just been looking at fire rated lights and they aren't draught proof. What they do is seal themselves in the event of a fire. Which isn't the same thing at all.

Well in that case you can remove the tiles pretty easily and get access to the spotlights. You shouldn't have to take them all off. I did this to my extension the other week so I could insulate on top of the plasterboard. Took me a few hrs that's all.
You can put the laths and membrane back on. You shouldn't have to take many courses up and they're easy to re lay in the same pattern.

Thanks. Was rather hoping for an easier solution, something that doesn't involve taking the roof tiles off. It's 10m across & they all interlocking I think so that's a pretty big job, not to mention the membrane & Fire boarding.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom