Draper Screens What do you think?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorwanvfr, May 1, 2007.

1. Gorwanvfr

Gorwanvfr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I’m after getting a Panasonic PT-AE1000 what a wonderful machine:thumbsup: . Now it’s back to that age old question what screen to put with it. Pumping the figures in to the throw calculator it comes out with a 106” diagonal screen 16:9 format. That’s the easy part over, what gain should I be looking at? The system will be going in to a sitting room where the light can be reasonable well controlled, most of the time. Reading different threads it appears a 1.2 to 1.3 gain would be ideal but I can’t get a screen with that gain in the type of screen I want so would a 1.0 gain be ok?
    The big issue with the type of screen is, I can’t hid the screen behind a pelmet so it has to be recessed in to the ceiling and so far only found one manufacture that does a automatic door that closes the screen housing off completely when not in use, Draper Screens (http://www.draperinc.com/index.htm).
    The two screens they do are
    Ultimate Access/ Series V
    (http://www.draperinc.com/Screen_Pages/UltAccV_projection_screen.htm)
    Signature/ Series V
    (http://www.draperinc.com/Screen_Pages/SignatureV_projection_screen.htm)

Both are tab tensioned and available with different gains but the highest gain is still only 1. Does anyone know of any other companies doing screens that the opening for the screen is closed off when not in use? The reason this point is some important is the screen will be in front of a bay window so it will be sitting out from the wall approximately 5 feet. It has to come down in front of the plasma when in use and be almost invisible when not in use. The projector is going in the room behind the sitting room. I have knocked an opening in the wall between the two rooms and there is a automated sliding picture to cover the pj when not in use.
    Has anyone used these screens before? And if so how would you rate them?
    Thanks

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    looks nice. Have you checked the measurements would fit into your ceiling void, or would you build it out under the ceiling like a pelmet?

Have you looked into a diy solution that'd let you use any case? eg a normal electric screen with somethign on the bottom that'd cover over the gap when retracted?

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I used projector calculator before buying my AE1000 and used it to choose my screen before I received the PJ....big mistake. I've since found out that the calculator uses 75% lamp brightness in the calculation and also doesn't take into account the variation between brightness at max zoom (the most bright) to that at min zoom (dimmest picture). The variation is more extreme with PJs that have a wide range of adjustment (like the AE1000), ie a zoom range of 1x to 2x.

I have a 120" Graywolf II screen with a gain of 1.8, unfortuanetly I ordered it before I received the PJ so it was too late to cancel. I now am using ND filters to dim down the (too bright for my taste) image. Given that I could have got a screen with a gain of 1:1 it would have been a better option for me I feel.

I would recommend that you try the PJ at home on a blank wall (even if it isn't the position that you will end up with due to your window). If you think it is too dim, then by all means go for the 1.8 gain, if not then at least you know what a 1:1 will do (if your walls are fairly light that is:D ).

Finally, if you are any good at DIY, you could maybe make a hinged trap door using MDF painted the same colour as your ceiling (like a thin but wide loft door)? You will need to make a bit of a hole in the ceiling anyway to install the screen and this would allow you better access in case of service/breakdown.

4. Gorwanvfr

Gorwanvfr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the good info. Did not realize that the throw calculator worked that way think I will hold off on placing the order for the screen and try it on a roller blind first for a couple of movies. I’m guessing a tab-tensioned screen is the closest you can get to a permanent screen? Are they worth the extra money over a normal electric screen? I was not sure if something was fitted to the bottom of the screen to cover the hole if it would affect the screen or the motor? Never had an electric screen before.:)

5. The Dentist

The Dentist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

My ae1000 is due any day and i've the same problem. I have a really nice 4:3 screen but will try and sell it. I've decided to set the PJ up and then measure off the size i would need.

I need electric as my ceiling is high. Don't know anything bout screens so will watch your thread.

Cheers

6. carlknichel

carlknichel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the IN 76 projector and got a 7ft Grandview cyber screen as a package deal from into av. Thought the screen was great, and when installed infront of the window didnt let any light through. Would def reccomend it.

And the screen casing looked attractive on the wall to, so points from the wife :)

7. FilmWatcher

FilmWatcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

I too have a PT-AE1000 and am about to choose a screen. I also want a in ceiling solution but am not sure if I need tensioned or not - it willl come down in front of the plasma. Thanks for the advice re gain - I will stick to 1 - 1.2.

Any updates on your projects and which screen you went for - do you think tensioned is necessary? I like the look of the Beamax in-ceiling but does not appear to have a tensioned option.

Thanks