1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draper or Da-Lite?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gary Lightfoot, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi all,

someone has asked me which matt white pull-down screen would suit his HS10 better - a Draper or Da-Lite.

He's after a 92 x 52 screen for his lounge.

Any advice for him?

Many thanks

Gary.

2. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Gary,

I have a Draper Luma matte white pull down 72" wide screen, I must say for the money its quite good and it gives a very satisfactory picture with my HS10 but it does have one or two wrinkles and they can distract me from time to time on panning scenes in films. Its much better than the painted wall I was using before though.

Overall I would recommend Draper for your friends first screen but if I were to buy a screen now I would spend the extra and buy an Owl, I saw one recently which was nice and flat and the electric control would be great.

Klippie.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    thanks for that Klippie, I'll pass the info on.

Cheers.

Gary.

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Gary,

I have recently bought a Draper and cannot say that I'm that impressed. Regular horizontal lines/wrinkles across the screen, presumable where it is attached to the internal roller. My initial thought was to get a DRH screen ( www.drhscreens.co.uk ) but I was seduced by the Draper High Contrast Grey. Obviously I don't know if this is a factor in the problem I'm seeing. Don't get me wrong the image is still perfectly watchable but occasionally these do intrude.

Paul

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DaLite Model B 80" screen which also has ripples.

I get the impression that all cheap (£200) screens get this. To avoid it i think you need to buy either a screen made from thicker material (£500) or a tensioned screen (£700).

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Great info guys. He was wondering about spending a bit more than £200 - £300, and those are good reasons for doing so.

Thanks again

Gary.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Gary,

I bought a grandview electric from www.intoav.com which is a very good da-lite copy. It cost about £500.00 and its very good. There is a very slight curl on the right, but as the screen is staying down as in dedicated AV room, I simply hold the 'slight' curl back with some blue tak.

However, when I was demoing a few PJs after my Z1 saga, I actually saw an OWL electric and I have to say that I wish I had bought one of these. I was offered a six foot screen by a local dealer but turned it down as it was a bit too expensive, given my budget, and the Grandview was already bought.

Anyway, it creamed on all other screens. When it dropped it was completely flat and there was absolutley no curl ,rippling or defects to be seen. In the context of the demo room I saw it in, the screen must have been up and down like a fidlers elbow. A First class product.

So, tell your friend to check out OWL.

Hope this helps.

Cap

8. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Da-lite model B 52x92 that I love, cant say I've noticed ripples as such, but I've got to get rid of it as it doesn't fit in my new house :( touches the wood burner when in use.

A colleague has a Draper Luma which I quite like, not the same quality as the Da-lite IMHO but a decent enough substitute.

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Messiah also swears by his Owl for the same reasons as 'captain said. Like glass IIRC...