1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draper or Da-Lite

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sem1604, Jun 25, 2003.

1. sem1604

sem1604
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Just recently got a projector (PTAE100), and now im after a screen im after a pretty cheap one as im now skint so could i please have any comments on either of the above brands manual screens in matt white finish. Ive never seen either of them in the flesh so any comments would be highly appreciated to help me decide which to go for.

thanks
    steven (sem1604)

2. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    how about an ikea blakckout blind, 2m for 20 quid, i bought a grey one over the weekend, initial thoughts were not promising but as soon as i projected on the other side of the blind, was very impressed, i really couldnt justify spending another 200 and my cousins 250 draper Luma is not that much better !!!

3. sem1604

sem1604
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Cheers, looked at the ikea tupplur blind unfortunatley ive got a large rectangular room and the smallest i can get the picture to and have a decent seating arrangement is 7.5 foot so the ikea blind is out of the question, do you think there wasnt much advantage in the draper screen.

4. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Having just disposed of my Draper Luma screen through ebay i can quite honestly say .....

Try something else - I wish I had :D

The main problem was a vertical 'sag' that appeared after a couple of months and became very distracting when watching anything - especailly on horinzontal pans.

Now using an Owl electric which is super flat - and has the advantage of lowering from the ceiling with one command of the Pronto (at the same time as the lights going down, receiver switching to DVD, the DVD starting to play :clap: :clap: )
    Cheers

Kevin.

5. sem1604

sem1604
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    couldnt justify the cost of an electric screen, not looking to promising for the draper screens, anyone got or had a da-lite.

6. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    to be honest with you mate, I think my cousins Projector was not setup up perfectly whilst i have spent a lot of time tweaking my settings, Ive just recently raised my projector so im using 0 keystone and the difference in Quality is amazing, so if he tweaked his it may look better but i cant warrant the cost difference.

Another option for you might be a DIY permanent screen using blackout cloth but most retailers only stock them in 54" drops so you may just about be able to build one around 7.5 ft.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I am using the Da-lite modelb 80" wide, as with KW1816, I also get vertical sag, I guess you will struggle to get a flat screen for under £200. I got round the problem by adding tension to the screen by fitting 22mm plummers clips to the rear of my speakers, and clipping the screen bottom tube to them. This will not cure edge curling, but the curling cannot be seen when watching a Film.

8. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    With the screens that hang down (blind-style) i.e. non-fixed flat ones: what about using soe sort of wire to tension it to a weight on the floor - any ideas on what could be used.

9. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    KW,

How much did you pay for your OWL electric screen and associated IR electronics to make it work with your Pronto?

And where would you reccommend as a supplier?

I can feel my wallet burning in my pocket:devil:

10. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Owl screen was second hand (about £300 IIRC), these are the bits you need to remote control it.

http://www.letsautomate.com/10337.cfm?

If you don't already have an IR to X-10 interface you'll also need one of these .....

http://www.letsautomate.com/10162.cfm?

You can then add in X-10 control for your lights and before you know it you'll be rewiring the house and looking at the cat to see if you can get an X-10 module for it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very happy with Letsautomates service.

Cheers

Kevin.

BTW>> I believe Owl also sell their own remote control setup, I seem to remember it's RF rather than IR and cost £200 + ??

11. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers Kevin, Will check it out

PS - A good buy for 300

12. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    sem1604,

I've got a Draper Luma pull down matte white 72" x 40.5" and I am generally pleased with it, but it does have a couple of wrinckles which can be a bit of a pain at times but not too bad.

I have seen an Owl screen and was very impressed, no wrinckles just a nice flat screen it just looked much higher quality than the Draper.

You only get what you pay for........and I should have spent the extra.

Klippie.