1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragonslayer R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Disney for all it's faults has allways been experimantal. Sometime this has produced it's best results. Fantasia, Tron and Dragonslayer.

This co-production with Paramount is not the usual safe product. It's dark and brooding and deals with the passing of sorcery by christianity.

The R1 release although in the right ratio (at last) is still sourced from a flawed print. But the colours are quite lush and it benefits from a new 5.1 remix. Sod all extras though. Shame this was not treated with the same reverence as Tron.

But what really amazes me is the classification. This film was rated PG both in the US and UK.

This film will scare small children and check out the priest getting torched! But I was gobsmacked by the scene in which the sacrificial victim meets the baby dragons. Hello! They're eating her foot!

Ralph Richardson performs admirally and the plot is unusually thoughtful for the time. Consider the other Sword & Sorcery material doing the rounds at the time.

Now the FX's are outstanding for the time. Phil Tippets work is innovative particulalrly the design for the dragon that has her walk like a bat when on the ground. No CGI here!

Excellent location filming in Scotland and Wales. The Alex North score is appropriate too.

Despite the lack of extras, I still recommend it.

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    me too. I'd forgotten quite how violent and bloody it gets in places.
    Nice to see John Hallam getting a role with a bit more meat to it for a change, rather than his usual "man in medieval costume that says 5 words through the course of the film".
    On the whole, the dragon fx still hold up well today. Nicely done.

I can easily forgive the shortcomings of the disc at this pricepoint (paid under £7 for mine), although like you say, something in the way of extras would have been good.

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    whereabouts in wales was it filmed,never knew that,closest i got to a film crew was last year when die another days closing sequence of the helicopter on the cliff edge was filmed about 5 miles up the road.

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    These are the locations stated on the IMDB

Filming Locations for Dragonslayer (1981):

Isle of Skye, Scotland, UK

North Wales, Wales, UK

Saye Island, Scotland, UK

Snowdonia, Gwynedd, Wales, UK

Sorry it's not more precise.

5. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    This is one of my favourite fantasy films and I waited an age for it to be released on dvd:

I even held on to my laserdisc player just so I could enjoy a reasonably good picture and widescreen version of it.

It's a fantastic film, very pagan and it looks incredible: there has never been a better dragon portrayed onscreen than Vermyflax.

Classic, classic, classic -- massively underrated. The only people who tend to regard it well are SFX types who namecheck it all the time.

And you're right about it being strong viscerally: my girlfriend watched it with me and couldn't believe it was a PG. They used to cut it to Hell when it was on tv.

regards,
    anephric

6. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just had this delivered on Friday so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    My favourite film to feature the real menace of a dragon, and i think the only decent fantasy, before LOTR came along.

Though i still have a soft spot for the very wet 'Krull' ;)

8. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Bumping this thread as I've just noticed on Play's site that a R2 release is coming on 5/4/04 from Buena Vista.

No details on extra's/ratio/sound at Play or Amazon, so I imagine it'll be a bare bones release. Wonder if it will be cut as the R1 Paramount disc contains a little more gore in the princess/baby dragon scene that has been in previous UK video versions?

Anyone heard anything else about this release? - it seems to have come out of nowhere!

9. widescreen

widescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was very impressed with this DVD. Whoever did the transfer knew what they were doing, it is better than I had hoped. Obviously they were working with a dark and subdued shot film which is difficult to encode well but there's no mpeg artifacting and minimal edge enhancement.
    I've waited a long time for this DVD, not having watched the film for a long time, and noticed how well it has stood the test of time. Phil Tippet's dragon is still the best ever. It's still my favourite fantasy film.
    I have to agree with the certificate, the foot eating is way above PG so I wouldn't let kids watch it.