Quantcast

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes Of An Elusive Age

kristianity77

Unless I can't find it I cannot see a topic for this? Is no one playing probably the best jrpg of this generation??

40 hours in here, probably just under half way through. Loving every minute of it!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I'll jump in at some point. Sunk over 120 hours into Persona 5, so having a jrpg break, but this is next on my rpg list when I want to dive in again..

prezzy

Started this yesterday but on the PC - cracking game.

prezzy

Finished this today - well not finished but done the main story have proper rushed it wanted it done before the new creed next week.

There is a shedload of post game stuff to do.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
This is a much better looking game than any screenshots have you believe, 3 hours in and I can feel the quality. Old school JRPG with excellent production values. First enemy had to be a slime :D

Minor downside, why do all the female characters sound like they're in Oliver Twist?

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Got it for Christmas and fired it up for the first time yesterday while the wife was distracted with Sims 4. Lovely graphics as per usual for a DQ game, and the music isn’t as grating as I expected. The voice acting is a bit cringey though!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
The voice acting gets so much better once Erik joins your party along with a few of the others that make it quite fun. Such a relaxing game once you've sorted your party. The various tactics work really well, I pretty much only switch to full control when there's a big battle or boss fight. 18 Hours in and just got the boat!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Over 40 hours in and just got to Act 2! The audio in this is quite hit and miss, the tunes are well done but repetitive and the intro music must be ramped up to 11 as it blares at you when it loads. Does me no favours when I fire it up when the rest of the family are still in bed!

The voice acting does get better, but what they've done is taken cliché accents from around the globe and used them for each location. This almost works until you hit a beach location where they all have Aussie accents and use cliché Aussie phrases, its almost comical.

The main characters are good and there's some nice humour starting to shine through, but I don't like them not giving the main character a voice, I don't know why JRPG's do this. Turns the main character into a mannequin.

I class act 2 as when the world gets burned by the big bad. You've been everywhere, but now you have to go everywhere again without fast travel until you build it up again.

Ah well, we'll see how it goes. But I do find it rather addictive and relaxing to play..

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Finished this over the weekend after 120hours of play, what a wonderful old school JRPG this is. Not long after my post above, I got a bit bored midway into Act 2 and rushed this act a little, which I now regret, although, I don't think you're punished for it.

This is a 3 Act game and once into Act 3, I was back on bored 100% and stretched it out to catch up on what I'd missed and maxed out all the characters, something I don't recall ever doing in any other RPG I've played.

The story starts off entrenched in cliché and jrpg tropes, but as the acts go by, it becomes interesting and a bigger story revealed. Traversing the map is made easy and the eye catching visuals make it a pleasure to run or ride around when you don't want to fast travel.

The main grind is made more fun with the Metal Slime bonus and I would have gone for the platinum, but the couple of collectible trophies I have left are just too time consuming for me to crack on with. But I can 100% say I've had value out of this game. I have Zestiria next on my JRPG pile, it has a tough act to follow..