Dragon Ball Z: Season 1 (Amazon UK Exclusive) (Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Purchase link: Amazon.co.uk

Release date: 09/11/2020

DBZ_S1.jpg

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Oh god, this is going to get expensive :(

Anyone knows if the aspect ratio has been respected on these bluray remasters?
Cropping / different scales compared to the originals?

I got the original French dvd boxsets for DB and DBZ and even though its dvds, i love them in 4:3 and the boxes are amazing.

Guess they will release the 9 remastered seasons on Steelbook?
For me to even consider these, the new cuts must be excellent without cropping, without quality variations between episodes, steelbook artwork needs to be something special with a decent treatment. If they are matte and flat, i'll not even consider them.

Edit: Also Are the UK cuts censored?
French dvds were uncensored

Last edited:
I've just read that the 30th anniversary boxset release for 25/11/20202019 includes the 4:3 remastered discs.
If anyone could confirm that the steelbooks include these 4:3 aspect ratio remastered discs
Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I've just read that the 30th anniversary boxset release for 25/11/2020 includes the 4:3 remastered discs.
If anyone could confirm that the steelbooks include these 4:3 aspect ratio remastered discs
Much appreciated!

MangaUK:
They are 4:3, the same disc content as our previously released Collector's Edition.

Man I’m so gutted to read this. I’ve just bought the Blu Ray set in June and now I hear that they’re coming out in the 4:3 aspect ratio?? I don’t think I’ll be buying them again. It will be the third time I’ve bought this set. So annoying!

Man I’m so gutted to read this. I’ve just bought the Blu Ray set in June and now I hear that they’re coming out in the 4:3 aspect ratio?? I don’t think I’ll be buying them again. It will be the third time I’ve bought this set. So annoying!

The 30th Anniversary box with these remastered 4:3 discs was releases in November last year.
I learned this today too.
If i was you, i would quickly sell yours to get some cash for it and invest for the new discs.
If you wait too long, you won't be able to sell yours when the new discs are out.

I'm not sure i'll grab the steelbooks but i'm sure i'll grab these new discs in the future.

The 30th Anniversary box with these remastered 4:3 discs was releases in November last year.
I learned this today too.
If i was you, i would quickly sell yours to get some cash for it and invest for the new discs.
If you wait too long, you won't be able to sell yours when the new discs are out.

I'm not sure i'll grab the steelbooks but i'm sure i'll grab these new discs in the future.
Nah, I’m not playing that game. I can’t be mithered. Cropped will have to do. I got used to it when I watched the old orange bricks, I’m sure I’ll do the same here. No doubt these discs will be missing something, like the original Japanese music, and then they’ll re-release them again with that in a few years time and I’ll be back in the same boat. If the steelbooks had a price and all 9 were coming out at once then maybe.

Looking at these comparisons they’re not as badly cropped as I thought. At times, I thought they were severely cropped as the top of the head was missing etc but looking at the original the head is cropped there too. Plus I like the colours of the Blu rsyset, they are very vibrant. I think I’m ok with This set I have, the steels would’ve been nice tbough if they get the right treatment.

Oooh I might be interested in this.
As well as the widescreen aspect ratio, the main thing that put me off the old funimation BDs was they’d scrubbed all the grain (& a lot of the detail) so it all looked blurry/smeared. Didn’t like that look at all.

Will have to find some more reviews about that 30th anniversary set to make sure it was a good remaster.

Edit: seems this set still has heavy DNR (smeary/loss of detail) & then they added artificial grain after the fact (which doesn’t restore the scrubbed detail):facepalm:

Last edited:
Looking at these comparisons they’re not as badly cropped as I thought. At times, I thought they were severely cropped as the top of the head was missing etc but looking at the original the head is cropped there too. Plus I like the colours of the Blu rsyset, they are very vibrant. I think I’m ok with This set I have, the steels would’ve been nice tbough if they get the right treatment.

I like how you're trying to not care about the new discs... :D
I understand though, if you just bought the previous set a few months ago

They rarely cut heads when cropped or going from 4:3 to 16:9... but you miss some details for sure.
With animations, i'm way too difficult and will only buy if aspect ratio is respected, hence why i only bought the French dvd remasters a long time ago and they are uncensored too.

@ssbib @hippo99
Do you guys know if the previous UK releases are uncensored too?
Less blood in some scenes and some Roshi scenes cut out etc...

I like how you're trying to not care about the new discs... :D
I understand though, if you just bought the previous set a few months ago

They rarely cut heads when cropped or going from 4:3 to 16:9... but you miss some details for sure.
With animations, i'm way too difficult and will only buy if aspect ratio is respected, hence why i only bought the French dvd remasters a long time ago and they are uncensored too.

@ssbib @hippo99
Do you guys know if the previous UK releases are uncensored too?
Less blood in some scenes and some Roshi scenes cut out etc...
Hahaha, don’t pull at that thread. I have learned that the 16:9 have a bit more detail at the sides, which is a little weird, but I’ll take it.

Yes, the UK DVD release “orange brick” sets were uncensored as far as I am aware, but they were cropped too. The old single DVD releases that had about 2-3 episodes per disc, were hesvily censored though. Not sure if they ever finished the run of those either. The Blu Ray set I got from the states is uncensored too.

Hahaha, don’t pull at that thread. I have learned that the 16:9 have a bit more detail at the sides, which is a little weird, but I’ll take it.
My understanding is they did the framing on the cropped Blu-rays better than on the Orange DVD sets.
ie the Orange sets were framed bang in the middle regardless of what was on screen. The framing on the BDs was moved around depending what was on screen, hence less chopped heads or important elements being cropped etc

Looks like i won't be buying the UK 30th anniversary discs either.... :(
They are 4:3 but still cropped, crap DNR etc....

Yeah I’ve since found more reviews saying it still has heavy DNR, but they’ve added fake grain after the fact (which won’t restore the scrubbed detail) so it’s not as obvious that it’s had DNR applied.

That doesn’t sound good, I’ll have to check this out later.

Included a 2nd video too with comparison...
Interesting imo.

My understanding is they did the framing on the cropped Blu-rays better than on the Orange DVD sets.
ie the Orange sets were framed bang in the middle regardless of what was on screen. The framing on the BDs was moved around depending what was on screen, hence less chopped heads or important elements being cropped etc

Incredible how they manage to avoid doing a perfect remaster that respects the aspect ratio, the details, the story etc...
Probably done on purpose to be able to release another one every few years or simply incompetent.

Yeah I was aware of that before I ordered them. I watched the orange bricks before and it was quite obvious in the earlier episodes but it was alright later on. These Blu Ray sets do appear to be doing a better job of the cropping most of the time. Sometimes you can still tell it’s not quite right but more often than not it’s ok.
Yeah I’ve since found more reviews saying it still has heavy DNR, but they’ve added fake grain after the fact (which won’t restore the scrubbed detail) so it’s not as obvious that it’s had DNR applied.
whats the point of doing DNR only to add fake grain? Makes no sense.

whats the point of doing DNR only to add fake grain? Makes no sense.

Incredible how they mess things up even more....:facepalm:

I get a jumbo vibe from that steelbook images I know it won’t be, being only 4 discs, but looks like it on first glance for some reason.

By pure dumb luck (as Amazon.com once had them on sale for ~$20) I have the US Dragonbox DVDs, so will stick with those.

By pure dumb luck (as Amazon.com once had them on sale for ~$20) I have the US Dragonbox DVDs, so will stick with those.

That's pure luck yes, those are going for silly prices on the Bay.

I'm going to wait for the remasters of DB and DBZ from AB Studio in France, My DVD collectors boxset did not disappoint and i know the blu-rays will be remastered with care. I'm not expecting these before 2021 or later though as AB Video said they would not release these if they are not sure they are perfect.

Patience is my best bet, until then i'll rewatch my remastered dvds a few times :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom