Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gliese 581c, Aug 10, 2010.

1. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Going to give it another couple hours right now though... so can't be too bad.

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,779
    To be honest I couldn't say at this moment in time, I'm still playing through DA:O :rotfl:
    Definately making a rogue character first off in DA2, nice armor and loved the moves from the demo.

With a bit of luck the new nVidia driver's will arrive this week and maybe a patch sometime to help the main game have a little more improved performance at max settings with DX11.

I think I finally found a definitive play order for all the DLC so I can play it all in the right order to have save imported from one to another....
    You cannot, apparently, import a Warden (your character) from a save made in a 'later' module backwards to an earlier one.

1. Origins (includes Stone Prisoner, Wardens Keep, and Return to Ostagar).

After finishing the main Origins plot:

2. Leiliana's Song - for the extra item that can be used in the main campaign.

3. Darkspawn Chronicles - (more or less anytime after
    the main questline as it is a "What if?" situation. Not giving away any spoiler's)

4. Awakening's

These next two are meant to be able to be played in any order, as you can import the save from Golems to Witch Hunt or vice versa.
    Golem's then Witch Hunt seemed to be the most listed play order that I can find.

5. Golems

6. Witch Hunt

And not forgetting....Dragons Age 2 when all done :smashin:

So hope this help's other's going through origins to prepare for DA2 too :)

tris

3. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    No worries mate, take your time with it, don't rush through it just because you have the second waiting.

4. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    Sod the gaming what about Textured DX11 Boobs/bums :D this is the info we/i need to no,
    oh yea i am asking this Question for someone else, so i am the Messenger :rolleyes:

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Tecos at @28.90, not in stock, Game @ £35. Downloading now from Steam at £30, means I have a £5 for the DLC.

I love my fuzzy logic :D

6. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Got this game the other day due to work mate drooling over it, i have to say it's quite enjoyable. Not played the 1st so the game is brand new to me, which leads to some confusion on my part on what attributes/spells etc to give to my party.. i'm a mage myself and want to be badass dmg giver, so i've been giving myself magic mostly.

Anyone care to give some brief tips on what my other party members should be doing? I've not really used the tactics either as that confused me too.

:D

7. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I usually go with one tank fighter at the front to soak up all the damage. One damage dealing mage. One mage that mostly heals. Then a choice of either a good fighting rogue or another damage dealing fighter (two handed weapons for the big guns).

8. Member 513627

Member 513627

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Got the game, and I must say I am pretty disappointed with it.

Enemies spawning right in front of you is really annoying.

*sigh*

9. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Just playing the first bit, not out of the demo yet - it didnt help that I changed my mind about my face, and so started again to change it. Huzzah for mutton chops!

[​IMG]

Dont Like, or Theydons nitpicking

Inventory menu - it looks like a decent webpage or powerpoint presentation, and not a dirty inventory with scaled down pictures of the item to hand, just an icon to represent that item. :(

Companion Inventory - They are all wearing jumpsuits! No special boots for the Mage of the party....not sure how this will work, will I have to sell mage boots that my mage could wear to buy a mage jumpsuit? :confused:

Stat continuaty - A silly thing really, more a typo? In one screen Armour or Defense reads as xx% / xx and then on another page reads xx / xx%

Codex - Represented as pages of a book in the last game, here, a pop up window like on a modern webpage. :(

Attached Files:

10. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Yeah. it's like they stripped out all the RPG bits for people with attention disorders.

I am leaving the game until the first patch comes out, but to be honest I haven't had the urgent feeling I need to get back to playing it like I do with a top RPG.

I am just really glad you can change the faces so you can do your mutton chops still!

11. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    More on the stat continuity, I am one of those RPGers that is pretty anal, and so writes down stats etc. :blush:

The Attack, Defense and Armour scores simply do not make sense :confused: I have been upping Dex and Cunning, roughly on a 2/1 scale as I go up levels (4th now) and these are my stats

2nd
    Attack: 64% / 73
    Defense: 23% / 68
    Armour: 17% / 79

3rd
    Attack: 65% / 81
    Defense: 23% / 73
    Armour: 12% / 80

4th
    Attack: 64% / 85
    Defense: 25% / 83
    Armour: 9% / 80

I have one armour change, a pair of boots that improoved the armour by 1 point. Why has my armour percentage gone down? Why has the attack percentage gone up then down, even though the number after it has gone up?

12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Injuries - They dont show up in the Attributes or Inventory views - just a word next to your picture with the heath bar. Also, using an injury kit seems a little klunky, and I could not work out what I did to use one, it appears they act like potions now, or drag it onto the person in the Inventory screen. I could not see how my injuy effected me (in DAO, you could have concusssion, a cracked eye etc)

Talents - Missing? The ability to make potions and poisons has been removed from you, but Persuassion, traps, Stealth, tracking etc - have they been removed or moved into skill trees?

Star Ratings - Items rated so that stupid people can tell if an item is better than what they have already. Cant they do that by the stats themselves, or does having an item with 4 or more stats to compare slightly too complicated for some people? Plus, when an item is equipt, if you hover over the item to see the stats, you cant see the star rating anywhere, so if you cared enough to want to wear all 5 star stuff, you would have to take it all off to check. Why bother?

Traps - Liked these in the original, I never created any, just had a really good skill in spotting them. In this game, I get no xp from disarming them? There goes a nice way to get extra xp :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Just wait until you get to the one size fits all dungeons, houses, and fetch quests.

14. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Merchants - :confused: What have they done to this? Why have a merchant you can click on to talk to, who does not talk to you, but you have to click on the pile of merchandise instead. Why not just interact with the person to buy stuff?

15. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    It's for those attention deficient people again... they don't want to have to click on eomeone and navigate through one screen of dialogue to get to ye olde shoppe :rolleyes:

Coincidentally, there was an NVIDIA driver released today that gives a nice boost on Dragon Age 2 at maximum settings. I went from about 35fps to 45fps. There's still a bigger performance fix coming though.

16. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I must admit that Enchantment? Enchantment! Used to get on my tits, but Why not have the sellers immediately go to the shop if clicked on?

17. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    :laugh:

That's one of the few things that made it through from the first game... double unlucky!

I read an angry comment posted somewhere that there was no romancing Sandal option in DA2 :rotfl:

18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I know, I met him :D But you still have to click on his bag next to him to buy stuff or get enchantments (and there are no swapping enchatments round this time either)

I am just about to level, so will be back on again soon - I will then be able to don my Issacs armour (6th level) and with the daggers I just bought, I am slaughtering things willy nilly - I may have to up the difficulty from Normal, as my leaping spider attacks are causing people to explode left right and centre!

19. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Eiren did you buy the signature edition? I am thinking of grabbing the Exiled Prince DLC (£4.33) and just wondered if its best to slot it in somewhere at a specific level or something to get optimum use of it, as the Archer bloke can be a charcater if you need him.

20. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Woohoo for DX11 Sister Breast enhancements!

http://dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2190

21. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I must admit that I won't be playing this anymore. It's really confusing me, with all the tactics etc and also the above pointed out. It's taking me longer to work out what to do than actual play the game. Shame.

22. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I did something I said I would never do :blush: .. I bought the day one DLC because it wasn't available on Steam. I just went and got him straight away, since I thought it was better to have your team members sooner rather than later.

The game actually shows her like this... as I think the first time Varric tells the story he is telling it exagerated... including Bethany's boobage :laugh:

I also started the game 4 times to start off 4 different characters, and one of the things I do really like is that if you change your character's appearance... the rest of your family change as well to look similar to your character. That bit is very clever!

I played a bit more and the story is starting to develop nicely, so I can probably forgive the many shortcomings and crack on with the game to see what happens.

Did you import your Origins save? I've come across a few nice things that must be specific to what you did in the first game(s) and that started to make me warm to things a bit more. It started to make it feel like the same World again, and that makes a big difference.

However, I really hope that Bioware do an Infinity Ward and all quit, then go start their own company making some hardcore RPGs like the days of old. EA are really sticking their oar in far too much these days.

You wont have this for long... in fact far less than most RPGs. The first hour or two is spent learning the ropes, and then away you go.

You don't really need tactics in DA2 unlike the first game, so you can ignore the bits that don't take your fancy. Once you get in the flow you'll be well into it. Bioware always tell a good story, so my advice is get into that as soon as you can. Don't bother with the messing around with side quests if you're not that into them.

23. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Yep, please dont take my nitpickings for anything other than observations. Half of them are probably ok to be different from the main game - ie the Talents, I always got annoyed on the levels were I got a Talent rather than an Ability, so to increase the ability tree section is better, and just because I made the odd potion, and did not touch traps, posions etc, this way is probably better.

The storyline is fantastic, I love the combat (although I am going to step it up a notch to Hardcore or whatever it is next) and as Eiren mentions, the tactics slots, I have not used at all other than default (I am only 5th level though)

I am just running through some frame rate tests and have downloaded the 11.4 beat drivers to test, but will be back playing properly later this afternoon.

I did import my DA save, I wanted the History from the first game to come through, although I have not seen any of it yet (other than meeting
    Anders
    ) - I want to see my Muttonchopped hero of DA as a staue, and then someone in game saying to my new character, "Hmmm, you look like a hero!"

As for the DLC, not that it would take much persuading, but it looks like I will be buying that in a minute then. :smashin:

24. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I am sure I mentioned it before, but why is the DLC purchasing so conviluted? Why not just pay by paypal for the DLC, rather than buying points by paypal and then redeeming them? Stupid process.

25. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    What difficulty is everyone playing it on? I'm trying hard atm and some parts are a challenge.

26. Member 501176

Member 501176
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I need to get involved with this game, just scared it will take over my life.

27. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I was playing on normal and died 3 - 4 times trying to kill the elven warriors near the beginning of the game. Ended up letting them kill the werewolf guy instead.

Which is why i thought i had to mess with the tactics but it doesn't make any sense to me.

28. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I started on Normal, but have been breezing through everything, so upped it to Hard. I finally got my arse handed to me I am only 6th and
    on the main quest on the mountain, after freeing the Witch and fighting about 8 shades and a bloody hard Invisible bloke
    ) I fought my
    first Revenant shortly before the above fight
    as well, and used my Twin Strikes ability, scoring a magnificent 270 and 200+ strikes! I had a screenshot, but my fraps are coming out black in 11.4 beta drivers :(

I am using two 12 damage daggers (Thrice Bound can be used next level when I have 21 Dex) and my armour is huge as I have Issacs armour on, which makes you look like the bloke from Dead Space, glowing helmet and all. Thankfully I have helmets turned off, and again, my screenies turned black for me to add them.

29. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I am playing on hard as well, as that forces you into using the tactics... as mashing buttons will get you killed fairly swift. Nightmare mode is very hard, so didn't go further than the intro bit on that mode.

I've had a few subtle bits from the first games in mine, Mutton Chops. Like I spared Andraste's Ashes and allowed people to go visit them for healing purposes... and then in low town there's a swindler who is trying to sell a bag of them. I am guessing if I desecrated them this would be different?

30. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    You still get xp for disarming traps. Next time you do look at the bottom centre of the screen and an xp figure will flash up