Dragging system into 21st century - help required!

musketman

Standard Member
Although I don’t feel able to offer advice on the speaker front (I own and have previously owned, legacy british made speakers from the 1970s/90s), on the streamer front, could I suggest that you have a look at something based on a Raspberry Pi, which you can then either delete from your list of possibilities or include it for further consideration?
Two options, really.
First, go completely ‘DIY’, starting from a basic Rpi, adding the components needed (e.g. DAC module, case, etc). This approach needs either a degree of ‘computer type fiddling/tweaking’ (but nothing too serious) or a willingness to learn and have a go. This is the route I followed (I am not an IT or computer expert) and now have a rather excellent streamer for not much (i.e. sensible) money. It may sound a bit overwhelming but it’s really not!
Second option; look at something like the Allo Boss player (also sold by Audiophonics in France - I only know AP by name, I have not previously purchased from them). Allo have taken a RPi 4, combined it with their Allo BOSS DAC (I have previously owned an earlier version of this) and put it inside a rather nice case. It comes with preloaded software. Price about €220 I believe.
I won’t touch bluetooth for streaming. I’m just not interested. Although I have a separate DAC, it carries out the same function as the ALLO BOSS - connection to the amp is via twin RCA.
Although my streamer gives me several options (including internet radio stations), my use is principally limited to streaming FLAC files (which I converted from my own CDs).
Hope some of this might help. If it doesn’t, then I do hope i haven’t confused the situation.
Good luck.
Thank you but the DIY home electronics approach is probably beyond me. I'm already struggling to get up to date with DACS/streamers/optical etc etc! Would prefer a plug and play approach (or as near as possible) at this point.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
@Going Grey Now I would have recommended a pi, but it sounds like streaming will be from apple music, and the pi, whilst brilliant for music stored on a home network, would not be as good just for use purely with a streaming service. Although, it can be done, and some OS even allow for airplay, a simple plug n play option would probably be better suited if not using a music server.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Thank you but the DIY home electronics approach is probably beyond me. I'm already struggling to get up to date with DACS/streamers/optical etc etc! Would prefer a plug and play approach (or as near as possible) at this point.
You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get started, as it can be as simple as loading a program onto a sd card and then changing settings of the pi via a web browser. This option also allows for you to change the software, tweak as much as you like and upgrade hardware with numerous options for integrated dacs, or even digital outputs if you decided on either an integrated amp with built in dac or a separate external dac.

Going Grey Now

@Going Grey Now I would have recommended a pi, but it sounds like streaming will be from apple music, and the pi, whilst brilliant for music stored on a home network, would not be as good just for use purely with a streaming service. Although, it can be done, and some OS even allow for airplay, a simple plug n play option would probably be better suited if not using a music server.
My apologies.
I failed to notice the OP mentioning Apple Music. If I had, like you, I most probably wouldn’t have mentioned/suggested the Pi.
Thanks for pointing this out.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
My apologies.
I failed to notice the OP mentioning Apple Music. If I had, like you, I most probably wouldn’t have mentioned/suggested the Pi.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Still a worthwhile suggestion 👍. As still think the pi is one of the best options for a music streamer out there especially considering the price and options.

NifkinFZ6

Yamaha WXC-50 is a great one-stop solution to modernise a system: wifi, bluetooth, analogue and optical inputs, digital (optical & coaxial) and analogue outputs. Can be used as a pre-amp or a source/player, enables multi room via its Musiccast functionality (with other Musiccast speakers etc) and has a bloomin' good DAC on board (better than the one in the WXAD-10), nicely finished in stylish aluminium casing. What's not to like?

FootHealer

Hi,

Personally, like others, I'd recommend an inexpensive streamer and a new set of speakers. Your amp appears to be 40w per channel into 8Ohm, so be sure to get a reasonably efficient speaker if you hope to play it loud or from far away. The speakers are definitely the weak link in your system. The Elac Debut B5.2 should be fine at 86db sensitivity (1m/2.83v).

For your £350 budget, this would get you a big improvement on what you already have :)

Last edited:

musketman

Standard Member
Hi,

Personally, like others, I'd recommend an inexpensive streamer and a new set of speakers. Your amp appears to be 40w per channel into 8Ohm, so be sure to get a reasonably efficient speaker if you hope to play it loud or from far away. The speakers are definitely the weak link in your system. The Elac Debut B5.2 should be fine at 86db sensitivity (1m/2.83v).

For your £350 budget, this would get you a big improvement on what you already have :)
Thank you. This is pretty much what I've decided (though edging towards something like the Concept 20s on account of space constraints).

musketman

Standard Member
The fact that it appears to have been discontinued by Yamaha along with all other 'WX' series products.
It's still to be had around these parts but at €400 - which I think would be better spent on upgrading the speakers.

NifkinFZ6

The fact that it appears to have been discontinued by Yamaha along with all other 'WX' series products.
Why would that matter? It's still available here. Suggesting that something is undesirable simply because the manufacturer has ended the line is ridiculous. Richer Sounds business model for at least the first 25 years was based on selling end-of-line AV and hifi stuff and they were very successful at it too.

FootHealer

Thank you. This is pretty much what I've decided (though edging towards something like the Concept 20s on account of space constraints).
The Concept 20s are a great choice. They are a little easier to drive than the ELAC Debut b2.0 and are definitely on another level in terms of clarity. These cost around £370 when they were first released in 2012. I reckon if they made them today, they'd be closer to £500. At the current price (UK) of £240, they are a good bargain. I own a pair and they are small, "wife-friendly" in terms of style, and are comfortable in small spaces near walls thanks to low cabinet resonances and a well-designed rear bass port. If you have enough left for a little streamer, I reckon you will be happy. Your amp should drive them easily.

dogfonos

if I plugged the Yamaha WXAD10 (or Zen, or Chromecast) into my existing amp, which input would I use? CD? That could be complicated. Would AUX or tape inputs work equally well.

The outputs of the Yamaha WXAD-10 are designed to be plugged into an amp (or powered speakers) so the amp's AUX input should be fine though a tape input would probably be just as good.

edging towards something like the Concept 20s

The QA Concept 20 may be an old design but are nice speakers, allegedly. Got great reviews even at the original selling price of £350 back in 2013. Being small (as are the Wharfedale Diamond 4) they are better suited to the smaller room. Tonal balance and sense of impact will likely diminish when used in rooms larger than approx. 15 - 20 sqm. (other factors can affect this too).

FootHealer

Tonal balance and sense of impact will likely diminish when used in rooms larger than approx. 15 - 20 sqm. (other factors can affect this too).
Yes, that's my experience too. They seem to do better in smaller rooms. I use mine upstairs in a bedroom. I tried them in the lounge (4mx7m) and they felt like they were drowning in the space. I guess a subwoofer would compensate for that. I use the Concept 40s in this room instead. If the OP has been using a Diamond 4 and been happy with it, then it may be fine in a room of the dimensions he is using.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Personally, I’d go straight for the Chromcast. It’s more expensive than it was new. But that’s simply the case now.

Next is the speakers. By god they are old....👍

I’d consider used speakers before anything else. Both the Arcam and Denon are good budget hifi and can be replaced/upgraded as and when cash allows.

The tuner is a legend and will more than suffice until it dies. If it does.

FootHealer

Next is the speakers. By god they are old....👍

I’d consider used speakers before anything else....
I have seen QA Concept 20s going used for around £150-70 on Ebay recently. I've seem people selling them with matching stands here in AVForums for around the price of a new pair. Just in case the OP wants to save a few bucks...

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
These are very well respected and keep you within budget including the CCA.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I have seen QA Concept 20s going used for around £150-70 on Ebay recently. I've seem people selling them with matching stands here in AVForums for around the price of a new pair. Just in case the OP wants to save a few bucks...
There was a pair of white ones with the matching stands not sure if still available, and was a good price.
Edit: here they are, great price.

FootHealer

There was a pair of white ones with the matching stands not sure if still available, and was a good price.
You're right...I was thinking of those actually. I believe they were in Glasgow, collection only, but if the OP is willing to travel and they are still available, they are a steal, bearing in mind the cost of fuel, of course.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
You're right...I was thinking of those actually. I believe they were in Glasgow, collection only, but if the OP is willing to travel and they are still available, they are a steal, bearing in mind the cost of fuel, of course.
Agree, yes slight paint damage and no bungs, but £100 for a quality speaker and matching stand is an absolute bargain. The stands are £169 on their own new.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
These are certainly excellent speakers.

With the postage and tax into France, they come to around €320 I think (quick calculation in my head).

A worthy buy if you can’t find any used in Europe.

FootHealer

Haha! Yes. The fly in the ointment. Nonetheless, I've found some here: €220 used or €299 new (special offer). Pleased to hear that they ought to fit the bill.
That sounds good :) I hope you enjoy them, if you decide to go ahead...I think you'll be pleased by the difference between the Diamond 4s and these. Don't forget that streamer tho' ;)

Helix Hifi

There’s Marantz PM6004 for 200 euros on eBay. Add chromcast, the Elac speakers. And you should have pretty decent setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV