Drag & drop files from windows explorer to HD1/HD3

D

d_raux

Hi,

I wonder if someone had a chance to try the NW-HD3 with Sony's Vaio Music Transfer utility, primarly made for their (quite massive) Vaio Pocket music player (VGP-AP1)

I've just installed it (latest available version v1.2 that came with the firmware upgrade of the VGP-AP1 that gave this player direct mp3 decoding)...

Good news -> it works (could be worse)
Bad news, when used with a HD3, although both devices natively support mp3, it DOES convert mp3s to atrac before transfering them to the player, thus reducing the interest of a drag&drop feature....

I guess Vaio Music Tranfer performs a firmware check on startup to allow direct mp3 transfer ? Still trying to make it fully work, but if someone feels like a windows registry cowboy tonight, and is lucky, please let us know

Thanks in advance & all apologies for my english

Good news (first post was too quickly sorry)

It works fine with HD3 !

For a reason I don't get my first attempt resulted in a mandatory mp3->atrac conversion process. But since this first try, my HD3 now accepts mp3 by drag & dropping them onto Vaio Music Transfer window, without conversion.

Quite nice for people like me that don't want to bother too much with sonicstage and just want an easy way to get their mp3s on their player

david

Bonjour à Paris,

c'est magnifique! Le Drag'n Drop fonctionne trés bien et sans une conversion d'ATRAC. Alors, c'est exactement le missing link pour rendre le baladeur NW-HD3 le meilleur choix.

Tu es le héros du jour :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

All apologies for my bad french ;)

thanks !

It now - really - makes the HD3 a real nice player (combined with the EU volume trick)

Have a nice day

Your french is good BTW ;-)

Can anyone get there hands on this software??

If so, can we all start uninstalling sonicstage???? :eek:

Thanks,

Is this the same thing?

Do i need version 1.1 for this to work?? I think i need to keep sonicstage on the pc though, but at least i don't have to use it!!

Will try it when i get home and let people know how i got on tomorrow.

Thanks again :clap:

This is the same thing

However you need to keep SonicStage installed because Vaio Music Transfer and sonicstage share some components used to access to the player, but you don't have to use it (unless you want to delete some tracks on the player, where SS is still mandatory)

Hi there,
I really wonder what sonic stage is doing with the songs during transfer. It should be possible to simulate this with another programm - for a friends IPOD there is even a little programm that you store on the device and lets you use it as a MP3 mass storage without special software on the computer.
Having something like this would be great.

Cheers from Mexico

hughesy said:
Thanks,
Will try it when i get home and let people know how i got on tomorrow.

Not great!! :thumbsdow This application opens a little window and lets you drag folders and tracks into it. As mentioned to take tracks off u need to use sonic stage so it might be handy for just putting tracks onto the HD3. Unfortunetly it's slower than sonic stage so i personally can't see myself using it.... :nono:

It does work and enables you to input, file and control your music without SonicStage (although as said you need to leave it installed). This seems v. good since Windows Media Player is SO much better than SonicStage!!!

I take it I can just run the installer linked above on a none vaio PC which has no previous Sony software installed bar the Sonic Stage that came with the HD3 or do I need to download other Sony based software first?

Guy

Did anybody manage to drag/drop files and convert them into atrac during transfer?

has no1 realised that using this vaio software mucks up the id3 tag? the artist is changed to "NoName", the Title is changed to <Artist> - <Title>, the Genre is changed to "NoName", and the track number is changed to 0!

I've tried this with my hd3 and it works fine, tags included. Anybody know if you can still get version 1.1, and where?

I actually want to convert my mp3s to atrac, but, unless i'm missing something, sonicstage only converts either all tracks to the lowest atrac3plus 48kbps, or non native formats to a chosen atrac bit rate. I find the 48kbps too low and would like to use a slightly higher rate but you don't get the choice when converting all in sonicstage. :thumbsdow

I read the change between 1.1 and 1.2 in the vaio music transfer app was that mp3s are no longer converted. So 1.1 should do what I want, but of course it could just stop it working with the hd3!

magic

I tried this with my HD1 (not upgraded) and it worked really well. I dragged and dropped a load of WMA lossless files, left it running overnight and in the morning my HD1 was full of AtracPlus256 tracks with correct tags.

The only annoyance for me is that the tracks are no longer played back gapless. This always happens when converting to Atrac from a format other than CD and isn't specific to this method. It's only ever so slight (we're not talking ipod 2 second gaps) but I guess with gapless it either is or it isn't.

That said this is a decent alternative to Sonicstage if gapless playback isn't a priority.

I tried my HD3 with Vaio Transfer 1.2, it doesn.t work. It says: "The ATRAC HDD cannot be used with this version of VAIO music transfer" !!! :(
Had someone this subject ?????
Help !!!

Sorry mate, i had no problems using it :rolleyes:

As i understood, when i installed Vaio Music Transfer 1.2, i can can open HD3 harddisk in explorer !?
There is folder named 'OMGfiles' or something like that... I deleted all files and folder on disk and write a test mp3 folder, but the player says 'Database not found'....
How can i write files to it ?????

You have to have sonicstage installed aswell. You then open the viao music transfer which opens a window. You then drag and drop files into this window which places them on the HD3.

Goodluck :smashin:

This program has made me not sell the HD3. Brilliant, easy to use, you can drag whole folders having changed all tags in windows beforehand.

The only reason to use Sonicstage now (as far as I can tell) is to delete or edit tracks still on the player.

However, the transfer speed is slower than SonicStage obviously................
but anyway, an alternative is always a good news!!!
Is it possible to make it become a "green software"? which need not to install........
As my company does not give me permission to install new software~~~

Thanks for this....works a treat on my mp3 upgraded NW-HD1.
a great xmas present....goodbye to sonicstage!!

Transferred 2 albums quickly enough with no problems, file names
and tags intact.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom