1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dracula: The Legacy Collection

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by srobbo999, Apr 6, 2004.

1. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might not be of interest to a lot of you out there but you can get this superb collection of 5 Universal horror films from the 1930's and 40's for the very small sum of $27.99 Canadian. This equates to about £12.00.

For this you get 5 titles

Dracula (1931), Bela Lugosi

Dracula (1931), the Spanish version, due to America's large Spanish speaking community, after filming was finished for the day on the American actors would vacate the set and their Spanish speaking counterparts would come on and film their scenes, so its basically the same film but with Spanish speaking actors. I have to say I think it actually looks better than the Bela Lugosi version.

Dracula's Daughter (1936), Edward Van Sloan and Gloria Holden

Son of Dracula (1943), Lon Chaney Jr,

House of Dracula (1945), Lon Chaney Jr, John Carradine, Lionel Atwill and Glen Strange. The last of Universal's cycle of horror films, not one of the best but a real must see none the less. A happy ending for the Wolf Man as well

Also available for $27.99 Canadian is Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection with

Frankenstein (1931)
    Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)
    Son Of Frankenstein (1939)
    Ghost Of Frankenstein (1942)
    House Of Frankenstein (1944)

Last but by no means least, for $26.99 Canadian is

Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection with

Werewolf of London (1935)
    The Wolf Man (1940)
    Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman (1943)
    She-Wolf of London (1946)

The best buy I've seen all year. But then folks do think I'm a bit sad:confused:

p.s. DVD Soon is the place to go;)

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Have you checked out "The Monster Legacy Collection" box set of all 3 sets plus the three busts? Nice. And at DVD Soon's price well worth risking customs duty on.

Got a few of these movies in their original releases (which incidentally are still worth hanging on too, as these new versions don't have the same amount of extras - in many cases none at all), but at these prices it is well worth buying just for the missing movies.

"Dracula's Daughter" is a gem - many rate it above the Lugosi "Dracula". "She Wolf of London" is a bit of a clunker, but "Werewolf of London" is well worth having.

Now if only they'd do the same with their "Mummy" series and that would wrap things up nicely.

3. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Got "The Monster Legacy Collection" on order myself and I also intend on keeping the original releases that I have. As 'the_pauley' says it's well worth getting for the extra few films, plus I'm a sucker for a good bust. :D

It would be a plus if they have remastered some of the films - for example, the print for Bride of Frankenstein could definitely use some work and it was also too tightly cropped on the original disc - but from what I've read I think they've just re-used the same prints from the original releases. Still looks like a great box set and well worth adding to the collection.

I agree about the Mummy set but a similar release for the Invisible Man & Creature From The Black Lagoon films would be welcome too.