Dracula: Moffat & Gatiss

hope its not a dull contemporary adaptation

Last edited:
Probably will be a contemporary setting, but that's okay if it's not dull right? :)

Anyway, how refreshing, as we rarely get vampire drama.

Could have been worse. They might have wanted to do a police drama. :laugh: I thought Moffat's update on Jekyll And Hyde was very good. I'm hoping for a return to form from him on this

Bri

I think it's about time Dracula had a rest. Do we really need another version?

The Unquenchable Thirst of Dracula, an unmade Hammer Horror script set in 1930s India, will star Lewis McCleod as the infamous Count, Nikesh Patel (Indian Summers, The Midnight Children) and The Crown’s Anna Madeley. Michael Sheen narrates. Directed by Mark Gatiss.

This goes out on Radio 4 at 2.30 pm on Saturday.

Bri

I thought Moffat's update on Jekyll And Hyde was very good.
I never saw it but I did see it get hammered for being *****.

On YouTube as

"Sherlock is Garbage and Here's Why"

I never saw it but I did see it get hammered for being *****.

On YouTube as

"Sherlock is Garbage and Here's Why"
Like Bri I enjoyed it. It took a few episodes to get into it and the style but once I had I seem to recall I was hooked.
There a few UK series that take some dedicated viewing to get into them.
I had that Beowulf recorded and watched the first 2 episodes and gave up on it then months later I went back and though perseverance got though episode 3 and I was hooked and loved the series. I know there loads that really hated it.

Like Bri I enjoyed it. It took a few episodes to get into it and the style but once I had I seem to recall I was hooked.
There a few UK series that take some dedicated viewing to get into them.
I had that Beowulf recorded and watched the first 2 episodes and gave up on it then months later I went back and though perseverance got though episode 3 and I was hooked and loved the series. I know there loads that really hated it.

Looking at the Jekyll thread it looks like it got going after the first 2 episodes set it up.

Jekyll (BBC)

Bri

Looking at the Jekyll thread it looks like it got going after the first 2 episodes set it up.

Jekyll (BBC)

Bri
I think one thing that put me off as well was the dutch shots, which
I really hate sort of knocked my pleasure of the first Thor film off.

I'd love more Sherlock but this sounds like it could be decent and in 90 minute outings will give it bite - yes, I went there.

Award-winning Danish actor Claes Bang (The Square, The Girl in the Spider's Web) will star as Dracula

DtGuSqiWoAAjJCR.jpg

Last edited:
Moffat said.“There’s lots of things that are challenging about Dracula,”

“Having an evil lead character is actually really difficult. That’s been the main challenge I think. But how we’ve handled, that you’ll have to wait and see.”

“It’s been very exciting though,” Gatiss added.

“Because we sort of made a promise to ourselves and the people who are making it, paying for it, that we’d make Dracula the hero of his own story, and less of a shadowy presence.

“And that’s a really clever idea, but we had to make good on it!”

In Bram Stoker’s original epistolary novel of 1897, Dracula is only ever seen through the eyes of humans trying to escape him or bring him to heel, with the Count representing a malevolent threat to humanity without any real sense of his inner life or perspective.

According to Moffat and Gatiss, their new Dracula – played by Danish actor Claes Bang – will bring that interiority on screen. Though, as noted above, it’s not been quite as easy as they anticipated when they first pitched the reinterpretation…

“We quickly found out why he’s often kept a shadowy presence!” joked Moffat.

“So it’s hard work, but I think it’s worked. It’s worked well I think, so far.”

Dracula will be “the hero of his own story” in radical reinterpretation by Sherlock creators

Sounds intriguing. Were others doing it I'd be concerned at a PC outing.

additional cast;

Jonathan Aris (Black Mirror: Bandersnatch)
Sacha Dhawan (The Boy With the Top Knot),
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett (Misfits),
Catherine Schell (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Space 1999),
Youssef Kerkour (Jack Ryan),
Clive Russell (Game Of Thrones)

Behind the camera

Westworld‘s Jonny Campbell is set to direct the opening episode,
with Damon Thomas (Killing Eve) and Paul McGuigan (Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool) helming the second and third outings, respectively.

“It’s seriously delightful that our new ‘Dracula’ is being shot at Bray Studios, the former home of Hammer Films. This wonderfully atmospheric and legendary studio gave birth to so many famous monsters and stars – most memorably Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. As we watch Transylvania once again rise on the sound stages of Bray, it’s amazing to be able to say that Count Dracula has finally come home.”

Mark Gatiss

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom