Dracula in UHD on BBC I-Player

Glad I saw this, it is on my list to catch up on, 4k, even better. BBC have done well so far with what they can in 4k.

I know it's not a regular thing yet, but who would have thought that BBC would broadcast a programme in HDR before Sky.

I read something somewhere that HDR on Sky is unlikely to be this year, which is quite ridiculous, given the amount that it costs and that it’s been available on Sky Italy for a while.

BBC have been doing it some time now, HLG the preferred. BT have done it after BBC (though HDR10), not sure why Sky have issues. I expect there is a good technical reason.

Probably deciding how much extra they can get away with charging for it :D

Not sure what technical issue it could be, isn’t the box the same in all countries?

I don't have sky. How do they get their 4k around? IP and Dish or IP only? BBC and BT only have to worry over IPTV.

Guessing here. Issues providing the HDR over both are giving them grief then? Hold back until both get it.

All the BBC are doing is one prog per year (we've now already had our 2020 ration) plus some sport in UHD - thats not really a launched services and possibly the most expensive UHD on the planet

The recent wildlife programs (Blue planet 2, etc.) live sports, what, 3 or 4 UHD events (breakdown into days for episodes, two weeks for Wimbledon etc.), given their resources, not bad.

Not sure the cost, but Sky, BT etc, will be using the same kit essentially for 4k and then the presentation of HDR (what ever version) on the back of tha. BT tried to justify and extra £5 for HDR, then dropped it then jacked the 4k package prices up anyway by £4. fag packet calculation 70 quid a month (inc 4kmax and BB), and what 800 a year? BBC are a shadow I think to that.

Apols. I am going OT.
Drac is looking good here. The fly, ergh!!!!!!!!! itchy eyes now......

It's absurd that UHD programmes are only in stereo on iPlayer. Surely the former is a much more difficult proposition compared to providing surround sound.

It's absurd that UHD programmes are only in stereo on iPlayer. Surely the former is a much more difficult proposition compared to providing surround sound.

I agree, it does seem strange. I haven't checked, but I think all the i-player content is stereo only.

I recorded this via Sky Q (in HD) but have not got round to watching it yet. I was browsing through the I-player today and was very surprised to see that it is available in UHD. This raises two questions for me. First, why does the Sky Q box not pick up the best version and second, is this the start of BBC offering content in UHD on a more regular basis? As far as I was aware, the only UHD content shown by BBC is the various trials, e.g Planet Earth type programme clips.
Where does it say uhd? Just gone into i player cant see any info on uhd. Thanks.

I recorded this via Sky Q (in HD) but have not got round to watching it yet. I was browsing through the I-player today and was very surprised to see that it is available in UHD. This raises two questions for me. First, why does the Sky Q box not pick up the best version and second, is this the start of BBC offering content in UHD on a more regular basis? As far as I was aware, the only UHD content shown by BBC is the various trials, e.g Planet Earth type programme clips.
Can you tell me where it says uhd? Cannot see that. Thanks

Attachments

• Drac.jpg
    Drac.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 97
Dracula is mentioned now on the iPlayer help pages - iPlayer and Prime dont like making UHD easy.

I can view the UHD episodes on my Sony XE9305...using TV app
.....but can't see the UHD bit when viewing from Sony X800 player, nor from the PC.

It would help if I could work out how to get them from the Sony X800????
Anyone??? :)

.....but can't see the UHD bit when viewing from Sony X800 player, nor from the PC.

There are different versions of the i-player App. Not all of them are capable of UHD. My LG B8 App shows UHD, my Apple TV App does not.

There's a list of supported devices for UHD here Can I watch programmes in Ultra HD on my connected TV? | iPlayer help They're mostly going for TVs but some boxes do give UHD HLG too but I dont think blu-ray players and I know not on PCs or ATV 4K. If it works on your TV then you're getting the best available that way. There's nothing we can do - the BBC decides.

iPlayer has a beta mode. In the settings, enable that and see if it shows the test UHD loop. Not seeing that then you are unlikely to get it?? I am using the Panny 820 player for the HLG and couldn't find it on the BBC list but it plays the test loop.

Funny, i have got exactly what you showed me on screen now. But no uhd. Are you going through a sky q box? Or main tv?
Good question. The picture was from the LG (B8) TV app. Sky Q is not supported according to the BBC:

Can I watch programmes in Ultra HD on my connected TV? | iPlayer help

As mentioned by other posters, it's dependent on HLG support. My Xbox One with exactly the same app version as the TV doesn't support it either because it uses Dolby Vision or HDR10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom