Dr Who Well What Did You Think?

E

Enquirer

Its very funny with the batman and robin type music as they run about

There seem to be some promise there but if all the other programs in the series are the same I’m not going to like it.
Some of the humour is very forced especially the dustbin burping
I was thinking Billie Piper was going to let the show down but if anyone let it down was Christopher Eccleston going round with a silly attitude with no sense of danger happening round him what so ever. No mention was made of his regeneration and from what an other person in the program showed it look like he was the only ever Doctor. Any way let see what develops.

The production values were excellent especially for a British production.

A great peice of nonsense Tv, really enjoyed it, looking forward to next week :)

Thread Merged you just beat me to it Enquirer by writing a short post :mad: ;)

I laughed at his reasoning behind the accent - "even other planets have northern parts" (or something like that) Overall i rather enjoyed the first episode. I think they could have mixed a few of darker tones, with the overall lighter touch given though. The dummies were also a lot less sinister looking than the very first incarnations - perhaps its just something about shop dummies from the 1970's .

Anyway, i'll definetly be watching again next week (oh, and i thought Billie whatsername was good in it too).

joe

Are the remaining episodes 2 parters because that one
after all the intros was all over in about 15 mins.Looks
promising though :cool:

Found the music very irritating.
It seems to treat itself with a little too much irreverence to the point of ham-fistedness .
Not exciting at all in fact I found it very boring especially considering its the opening episode.

Thought the acting generally was a bit daft.

Visual effects....terrible.
Editing .....terrible.
The actual cinematography was quite good though.

And did anyone get some wierd fading in sounds of crowd cheering then some guy briefly talking in the basement scene at the start....seemed to be a mistake??

Remember "Bugs" ... this was worse.

I liked it

My 3 children were glued

Better than Ant or Dec

And did anyone get some wierd fading in sounds of crowd cheering then some guy briefly talking in the basement scene at the start....seemed to be a mistake??

yes i noticed this too - thought it was a channel cross-over problem (with ant & dec [shudder])

MartinImber said:
I liked it

My 3 children were glued

Better than Ant or Dec
A frontal labotomy is better than Ant & Dec...........

Still it was fun, needs less music and Billie is annoying, but not Bonnie Langford annoying.

Still - 3 more to go before we see a Dalek ;)

This is in essence a 40minute story after intros and titles and does not give a lot of time for the tension to slowly develop or any real cliff-hangers. It may suit those with low span attention but I found it all rather hurried, although it had to introduce new characters which were more on Rose than the Doctor.
I much preferred the 6 part episodes where the plot could fully develop. Even most of the American shows now have a continuing story arc, with a few exceptions.

MartinImber said:
My 3 children were glued
Think I will have to contact the social worker over that. :D

This is in essence a 40minute story

is this going to be the format for the rest then? - dont like the sound of it at all - just for the drawbacks you mention.

I read somewhere that there are going to be a couple of 2-part stories. Otherwise, yes it's the 45 minute per story format.

I know what you mean about the music. Absolutely terrible synthesised pap, though the theme is okay (prefer the movie one better). Billie Piper was superb, far better than I expected. The whole look is good, too. Effects are just as bad as any in Angel or Buffy, mind. I just don't think there is the budget for good effects for TV (unless you count some Trek efforts)

Strangely, as I write this, I am watching the first episode of Farscape. To be honest there are just as many things wrong with that than there is this first ep of Dr Who. While you may not have liked Farscape, the episodes did get a lot better with a good mix of humour and danger and aliens and just plain fun.

Personally I think that this new series has a lot of potential, the second ep looking far better than the first.

Russell

I liked it
would prefer it to be two episodes per story tho to allow the villians to be explored in more depth!

No tension, no excitement, it felt extremely amateurish and cheap, the script had nothing going for it at all, the acting was fine i just felt there was nothing to keep ones interest its 2005 and they give us such a bland opening story, not promising at all.

An O.K introduction. The only really disappointing things for me were ....

1) The burping wheelybin - mis-timed humour & not appropriate

2) Squeezing the whole story into about 40 mins

I hope that later episodes (perhaps the 2 parter's) will show more development of the Doctor's character. He seemed to have less screen time than Rose. We shall see.

I watched the follow-up programme on BBC 3 & it looks as though it could get a lot better. Funny looking aliens an' all that..

Quite enjoyed it but it was a bit piloty (sorry made up word) , maybe the paul mcgann episode was more polished. Looks promising for the future.

Watched bits of doctor who, pertwee/baker/davidson, never understood why he can't go back in time to correct things if something goes wrong, just like other shows with a bloody time machine? like that didn't work out, lets go back 30 minutes.

Graham Norton for timelord

Well I liked it.
I suspect it was a bit of a special just to get started (I guess that's what piloty means).
Didn't notice the music.

Tom Baker was the best, they need to draw the line between humour and tension, at the mo i'm thinking theyre going for humour which to me is a mistake, not convinced at all.

Well.... as an avid Dr who fan in my youth I feel I have an amount of expertise (lol), I felt the new show was fresh, someone posted earlier that the new Dr didn't observe the danager!!! Lets be honest what Dr has?

Synth music - doh! thats a Dr who trade mark

So enjoy it for it is, all the previous Dr added there own mark as will this one.

I liked the fact they built Rose's role up, and the Dr did note his regeneration when in Rose's front room.

Enjoy it

BizBo

Synth music - doh! thats a Dr who trade mark

Synth music is fine and if that is their aim then so be it - the music just after the Doctor first leaves Rose in the park next to the railings was actually pretty good. However, when the synth is trying to be an orchestra then it all seems flat and artificial, probably because it is. Like I said, the titles are fine, the old Dr Who eerie synth noise fitting in well, but the in episode music was very distracting.

...someone posted earlier that the new Dr didn't observe the danager!!! Lets be honest what Dr has...I liked the fact they built Rose's role up, and the Dr did note his regeneration when in Rose's front room

Absolutely. One of the good things about Dr Who was that he didn't have a sense of danger. After all he can die 13 times so why should he? Rose seems to be a very good character indeed, looking forward to where her character goes.

Is it just me, though, but is anyone else a bit dissapointed that the Daleks are exactly the same? Won't they seem a bit daft?

Russell

BizBo said:
someone posted earlier that the new Dr didn't observe the danager!!! Lets be honest what Dr has?

BizBo
Probably most of them, there is a difference between going into danger with trepidation and making light of it in the face of the enemy and this one where you get no real scenes of peril although terrible things are going on.
Even the bin was turned into a comedy to lighten things up. On the other hand when Jon Pertwee faced similar enemy there was a plastic doll which frightened a lot of people and that was shown at a earlier hour. Tom Baker could lighten a scene up but never undermined the tension.

To this Doctor everything seemed one big game and a bit of fun.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom