1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr Who Is To Return.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Richard E Grant will the 9th Dr Who (his voice) in animated adventure of the Doctor to mark the 40th anniversary of the program.
    It has been wrote by the author of many an other Dr Who book, Paul Cornell. Who if I have got it right is a big X-Men fan.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Richard E Grant?!

Oh, God. :mad:

There are so many people who have would have been a better Dr Who voiceover than him. How about Ian Richardson? Robert Hardy? Alan Rickman?

(Or Tom Baker! :) Although he probably wouldn't do it. :( )

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    I think he would. But it would have to be a story on the 4th Doctor.
    It shame he is not made more use of he has a real good sense of humour, get him back on Have I Got News For You, maybe as a permanent chairman.

Ian Richardson I too think would be great as the Doctor.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Did you catch the final episode of "Strange"? Ian Richardson is a regular baddie, but in that episode they also had Tom Baker as a guest star. The two of them only had one scene together, and it was only about a minute long, but it made the whole of the rest of the program worth while! :)

Both have tremendous presence, and vocally it was fascinating.

I remember reading an interview with Tom Baker once, in which he said that a director had once told him "Tom, you couldn't walk through a door convincingly." He commented "he was probably right; but I wouldn't want to do it convincingly, I'd want to do it interestingly!"

Good philosopy. :smashin:

I actually think either Richardson or Baker would have been a better choice for Saruman in the LOTR movies too. Christopher Lee does a very good job, but his voice is sadly no longer quite what it once was. :( I can imagine Tom Baker doing a wonderful job of the line about "Saruman of many colours!" (Which actually didn't make it into the film at all. Hmph.)

Baker had relevant experience, of course: he was a fine evil magician in "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad". :D

Although he, Richard O'Brien and Jeremy Irons really should have had the sense to steer clear of "Dungeons And Dragons". :eek::nono: :boring:

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    No comment on the Christopher Lee as I’m a fan of his and do not want to get into an augment. But I thought it was a shame they did not make more of the Dennis Wheatley 'Duke de Richleau' stories. Chris was the mutts ***s in the Devil Rides Out.

I missed the last Strange I must have been watching something else or out.

They once rang Tom Baker on Dead Ringers radio show and they was using the voice of Tom and pretended to be the Doctor, Tom immediately twigged what was going on and played along with it. It was one of them all time classics.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I'm a huge fan of Christopher Lee as well, don't get me wrong, it's just that if you're familiar with the LOTR in book form you'll know that Saruman is supposed to have the most extraordinary (literally) enchanting voice, and Lee's voice these days is sadly not quite the splendid thing that it once was. :(

He's still vocally far more satisfying than most american actors, mind you.

And yes, "Devil Rides Out" is definitely Good Stuff. (Sterling support from Charles Gray. It always seems strange seeing Paul Eddington in that film, though!)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Why an animated webcast and not a proper return to TV? A series, maybe 10 episodes long, in a Saturday evening slot with the same sort of budget as Jonathan Creek etc would surely be a success.

8. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Odd that "Withnail" and "I" have both had a crack at the role now... ;)