1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr who gets better

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Enquirer, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that was really funny .i loved the MJ joke.
    what do you lot think

2. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enjoyed it tremendously my 7 yr old son glued to it :smashin:

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Hmmmm.......

One - Since when has the Tardis had a Bicycle Pump on the console
    Two - At a guess, do you think that (poss. spoiler) the Daleks are going to be blamed for the elimination of the TimeLords ?
    Three - When has the Dr. told people to "Just Chill" ?

It's probably good for new people, but to us old'uns who grew up with it, some of it just make you cringe.

Or is it just me?

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do probably need to chill out a little - i'm not finding it at all cringeworthy - it's being made for the same age bracket it always was (with a knowing wink to us veterans). Just think how much tv has changed over the 15 years Doctor Who has been away.... It has to appeal to (and influence) 'da kids' in order to have any future - we've already had our fun, remember....

An absolute corker (after last weeks fun, but stilted episode).
    I even confess i found myself leaning forward and gripping the sofa at times :)

They seemed to make better use of the 45 mins this time round, too.
    Excellent fun.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    nothing cringeworthy about that episode at all for me, and i guess you could call me a 'veteran' (been watching since Jon Pertwee). Ths one was funny, intelligent, pretty gripping and overall well written. The stirrup pump idea - sort of a HG Wells victoriana touch - i liked it. And actually when you think about, if he is the last of the time lords, theres no-one else to maintain the Tardis, so he might be keeping it going the best way he can :)

The Platform one and assorted aliens, felt a bit like a certain resturant at the end of a certain universe :smashin: . And it was also good to see a more serious side to the Dr as well (at times).

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,041
    It was better than last week but had some things that went against what was already know i.e. the one about the Time Lords shhhhhh what went on is a SPOILER.

I wonder what game he got the idea about the fans from. And does a Time Lord have some powers to use the Force?

I just realised how Chris is playing the Doctor hes playing it as Leslie Crowther as in The Price Is Right.

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Wasn't questioning that - and I am likewise. But it still made me cringe in places - having said that a friend of mine was extremely happy that it was back and loved the first episode immensely.

TV hasn't "evolved" over 15 years - for every "24" we get, we get 50 "Big Brothers" or "I'm a nobody, Get me out of here".

It's no big secret that I watch very little TV - even 24 I will wait for the Boxset as opposed to watching it with adverts etc. Currently "Dr Who" is the only thing I actually watch and when it's finished, I doubt I'll watch anything else - because to me, it's mostly dross (except for the shows that I will buy on DVD such as 24, Alias etc). *When I say actually watch - I don't even have it on in the background at any time! I truly mean it's the only 45minutes of broadcast TV I have on!* But hey, that's only my opinion and I am fully aware I'm in the minority!

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    2nd episode was a damn sight better than the first and I hope the series continues improving. There was a dark tint to the Doctor's character , especially at the end. Things are looking very good for this new, albeit short lived, incarnation of the Dcoctor. I just hope to God the Daleks work. Oh, and is the Master going to be in this series, after the revelation in this second episode?

Of course, all this talk of Dr Who hasn't made folk forget that the Quatermass Experement is on, has it?

Russell

9. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Strangely, I quite liked last weeks. I thought it was promising. This one I found a bit irritating. Have to agree with Sadmuppet. Too much jokiness for my liking. "Manchester Suite", "Mozz" (is he having a go at Morrisey?). Mind you, I'll still be watching...

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not to mention bopping to Tainted Love (Soft Cell version)..........

What next? Daleks in a mosh pit ? :rotfl:

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    :rotfl: how do you figure that one out?

12. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I liked tonights more than last weeks as well (For what I thought then and how many have now said the same see the other thread)

Sadmuppet, add me to that minority list. I think current TV stinks and that includes my £19.50 to Sky a month when a third of my money pays for the privalige of me to watch adverts and trailers :mad:

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i bet you can add most forum regulars to that (myself included). 2 regular programmes a week for me.

14. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After seeing 'The end of the world' I thought the Tardis bicycle pump was a bit too retro together with the 'superfan' retro air-conditioning (did one of the fans appear to have red blood from a previous victim on it?). Surely they could of come up with a more original challenge in his way and who would design a station with the computer restore switch in such an inaccessible location anyway. As for the reverse teleport at the end, a rather convenient way to get the villian back when the episode time is running short don't you think. Of course I will have to keep watching now they have teased us with the fate of the timelords. :)

15. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +142
    I was there for the very first episode the day before Kennedy's death, (no, I'm not a Time Lord). I've followed the series through the years, for better and for worse. Although Bill Hartnell will always be my fave, I've liked all the Doctors along the way, particularly Tom, Pat and Jon. What I find the new series has in common with the Hartnell years is the sense of not knowing what to expect, a feeling of joy in the excitement of exploring new worlds and old times with this person. And who the hell is this guy, anyway? The return to the sheer fun of watching the programme recaptures the spirit of the original series and old Bill himself. I can't believe how much this jaded old swine can't wait for the next episode. I'm four (nearly five) again and it's good to be alive! Also, I'm surprised by how good Billie Piper is. I wish Chris Eccleston would stay for another series though. :cool:

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Yes, it was better than the first episode but it just does not feel right. Now I am not against remaking things, hell I am just one bit new B.S.G geek, but I think my main problem with this so far is it just seems to light and fluffy. if all the other series were made for an young audience and this one is as well, then the state of the "mtv generation" is a poor one indeed. there just does not seem enough to get your teeth into. We all know that the BBC can make some cracking drama, I think some of it needs to be incorporated in to the show.
    I do like the idear of the start of a story ark involving the doctors past however. This at least seems promising. I hate the new tardis interior though.
    We seemed to have a better performance out of billy piper this week as well which also looks promising and the teaser for next week looks as if we could now be heading in the right direction.

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I liked it and my wife thought it was still too dumb. I do agree that the main issue I have is that the writers are being very safe and taking the attitude that the viewers are all pretty thick. It's light entertainment (like Ant and Dec) but I still like it.

I've got a pretty good idea who The Time Lords picked a fight with and lost.....oh yes....

Gordon

18. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never watched Dr Who before so forgive this question, but if he has a time machine why didn't he just go back in time after he reset the computer and then stop the Minority Report spider robots from hatching, saving those who burnt?

19. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Would create a paradox and would be "against the rules of time" apparently. Or something.

20. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Speaking of 'borrowing' from other sci-fi (Minority Report), then Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy fans can't fail to have noticed the links between Episode 2 of Doctor Who and 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe'.

Edit: Whoops! apologies to Joe Pineapples, didn't catch that first time round :suicide:

21. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hmmm. I thought that the Doctor's timeline was always linear?

Russell

22. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he is a time lord he could go back to a time when the master was still alive
    and looking at the simon pegg cameo on jonathan ross he looked master like

23. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It should be - but then he would/could never meet his other regenerations, but we know that (due to interference) that's not the case. But he shouldn't be able to meet his current self.

Seems they like changing the "rules" when it suits !!!

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,041
    How come the window opened pronto in the administrator’s office yet took a fair bit longer in Rose’s room..

I think a lot of the plot from last night episode borrowed from a few areas. And was riddled with plot holes and things that was just illogical.

25. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tension: trying to get the kids back behind sofas

off topic next weeks scary granny looks fantastic !!!!

26. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When people say anything negative about Doctor Who the replies are that its "just for the kids" so does that mean we aren't supposed to expect good quality scripts and excellent special effects, lots of television in america is made for kids and has special effects which LOOK special, this shows effects would look ok if the year was 1988 but its 2005, special visual effects can make you believe you are there and you can lose yourself in a show if they are done right, but if they detract from the show then you are going to lose audiences, kids of today expect great visual effects and they're soon switch off.

I know the BBC hasn't got the biggest budgets or the best effects but i expect more than what i am currently seeing, if you are going to bring back an old show and update it for a modern audience then its only fair for a modern audience to expect updated visuals which can compete with anything else the world can offer because isn't that what the BBC is fond of saying that they are the best broadcaster in the world, then lets have the best visual effects and to hell with the budget, throw money at the show and co-finance it with european partners or don't bother making it.

I have been a fan dating back to the Pertwee years and loved Tom Bakers version, he was serious but also funny, unfortunately i think the scripts for this show today and the format is all wrong, 45 minute episodes just don't work and there is no real tension in this show anymore, villians which you laugh at rather than are amazed or scared at is not the right way to go.

I think this show will start to lose viewers if it doesn't smarten up its scripts, my feeling is the producers are going for hip and whats "in" at the moment rather than making something which will stand the test of time, the format is wrong, the music score is just far too "in the moment look at me i'm hip" and the tension is zero, its a failure for me but who knows maybe it'll improve with time, and oh yeh agree with above posts its borrowing its idea's and scripts from everywhere and mixing it all up but its not working, at least for me.

27. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Loved it, much better than all that yank crap thats allways on tv (you know, buffy, alias etc.)

28. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love Buffy and her legs ain't bad either :)

29. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Poo IMO

30. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: