• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dr. Who and the Daleks Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
The Quatermass-inspired creation, Doctor Who, was going from strength to strength for the Beeb on British television, so it was hardly a surprise that a big screen outing was on the cards. With William Hartnell still playing the cosmic magician in living rooms all across the country, Amicus, under the auspices of the prolific producer/screenwriter Milton Subotsky sought to energise the character with the more audience-pleasing and bankable face of their regular star, Peter Cushing, who was six years the TV adventurer's junior, though considerably more dynamic.

And utilizing Technicolor and widescreen cinematography wouldn't do any harm, either.

When the film was made in 1965 Cushing was already indelibly associated with Hammer Films and with his classic interpretations of Baron Frankenstein and the vampire-slaying Professor Van Helsing. But he had just played the fateful role of Death, himself, in the great portmanteau...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dene

Standard Member
Thanks a lot for this, sounds good for the transfer.

May we expect a review of Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. :)?

Dene

Standard Member
Yes, you may. :)

Coming up very soon. I much prefer that film.

Cheers

Chris McEneany :devil:
Yay! Thanks, looking forward.

The 2nd one probably is the better film - but I just love Skaro in the 1st. Superb production design, esp. the forest. Can't wait to see it HD.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Lovely review & while I may agree about the film a little, I really loved this as a kid much more than Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D maybe it was the creepiness of the forest that did it for me, still its great to see that some love has been put into the hi-def transfer :smashin:.

bawheid

I remember Bernard Cribbins' constable infiltrating the "robomen" in Daleks' Invasion Earth. As I recall it was quite funny, but then I was only Five years old :D

The musical theme cue for the robomen is a tune that has stuck in my head for decades, a proper earworm it is :facepalm:

briandamage

"Terry Nation's Quatermass-inspired creation, Doctor Who..."

Ouch. Wrong in SO many ways. Someone might want to fix that before we send the Daleks in to exterminate your ignorant reviewer.

brian s

Distinguished Member
"Terry Nation's Quatermass-inspired creation, Doctor Who..."

Ouch. Wrong in SO many ways. Someone might want to fix that before we send the Daleks in to exterminate your ignorant reviewer.

Yes it's more than a bit wrong but it seems like it's going to be the best ever home presentation ever. That has to be something to look forward to.

:smashin:
Bri

Garrett

I remember Bernard Cribbins' constable infiltrating the "robomen" in Daleks' Invasion Earth. As I recall it was quite funny, but then I was only Five years old :D

The musical theme cue for the robomen is a tune that has stuck in my head for decades, a proper earworm it is :facepalm:

I use to listen to a radio program on Saturday lunch and they played a tune called Fugue for Thought by Bill McGuffie when I saw the opening of the film and end where the robbers attack the bank I spotted it.
Love to get a sound track of the film on CD as I always loved the main title and wondered how they manage to get that swirling picture back in them days if anyone knows please tell me.

By the way Bernard to me looks a bit like Judge Dread with that helmet on I wonder if that where 2000AD got the idea from

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
I use to listen to a radio program on Saturday lunch and they played a tune called Fugue for Thought by Bill McGuffie when I saw the opening of the film and end where the robbers attack the bank I spotted it.

I have that one on this CD.

Who Is Doctor Who?: Amazon.co.uk: Music

A soundtrack album for both films is also available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_&_the_Daleks_(soundtrack)

Amazon.com: Dr. Who & The Daleks/Daleks Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (OST): Malcolm Locklyer, Bill McGuffie: Music

Bri

Garrett

Thats funny the CD is at .com and is an import and yet not avalable in the UK must be old stock in the US

Sarah7

Here's a random thought for the day - as the official release date is a Bank Holiday do we think online suppliers will make a special effort to get these sets into the post for delivery on the Saturday?

brian s

Distinguished Member
Here's a random thought for the day - as the official release date is a Bank Holiday do we think online suppliers will make a special effort to get these sets into the post for delivery on the Saturday?

I certainly hope so. That way we'll still be getting some Who on a saturday night.

Bri

HummerUK

My copy of Dr-Who-and-the-Daleks-Daleks-Invasion-Earth-2150-AD has been despatched by MovieMail.

I had already paid by Paypal so left the order with them.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Had my copy of the 2 Movie LE dispatched today by Sainsburys, at £14.99 it would have been rude not to get it :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Same here. I hope I get it on Saturday.

Bri

Unless they switched to sending orders directly via Royal Mail I think that unlikely, expecting it Tuesday/Wednesday.

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Unless they switched to sending orders directly via Royal Mail I think that unlikely, expecting it Tuesday/Wednesday.

I have never had a pre-order title from Sainsbury's arrive any sooner than mid-week following a Friday despatch. I doubt this will be any different.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom