Dr. Who and the Daleks 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
Is it just me but why ruin what could look like a great Release and cover it in Cartoon / Animated looking Art …….?

Why not use original Live Film Footage or whatever
but why oh why Cartoon looking image it spoils it Big Time .

From first look it conveys the Cartoon Version of said Movie as such .

Shame of a Classic Release.

it seems many New 4K / Blu ray releases are in Cartoon Drawn why ?

Apone

I want the Tardis to fly around my room in Atmos :p

FutureShark

I think all 4k uhd releases should do reversible covers like Arrow do. A choice of original or new artwork.

Doctor Smith

I love both films. Although it may be through rose tinted glasses. 2 things stopped me ordering this. The price and artwork. £50 for one film and artwork that makes me want to vomit.

bigry

Distinguished Member
I love both films. Although it may be through rose tinted glasses. 2 things stopped me ordering this. The price and artwork. £50 for one film and artwork that makes me want to vomit.
Same but I held my nose and ordered,love the movies and a sucker for the collectors edition of movies.

Doctor Smith

Same but I held my nose and ordered,love the movies and a sucker for the collectors edition of movies.
Dont blame you for ordering. Wish I liked the artwork. I would have ordered if it was £20 cheaper.

Gazgum

As much as I’ve always loved the Daleks, one of the best alien creations right up there with....well, the Alien: I just can’t bring myself to buy this or the sequel, they both should/could have been so much better,even given the budgetry constraints. Dropping the silly Roy Castle character from this one for a start.

6 is about right in my view.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Having watched the TV show in Black & White (I remember watching that first episode, rivetted to the set), I was so excited as a kid to see the The Daleks in Colour. No way I will pay this type of money for a nostalgia trip (Especially with that totally naff cartoon cover), but will definitely rent this soon as I can.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Having watched the TV show in Black & White (I remember watching that first episode, rivetted to the set), I was so excited as a kid to see the The Daleks in Colour. No way I will pay this type of money for a nostalgia trip (Especially with that totally naff cartoon cover), but will definitely rent this soon as I can.
I've watched it from the very beginning. I saw these films many times at the cinema and then on TV. I'm looking forward to seeing these releases. The covers are terrible though.

Bri

thearrowmaker

As others have stated £50 is very off-putting. It now seems to be Studio Canals standard price for their special editions.
Over the weekend I picked up The Outsiders Complete Novel, but only because HMV currently have 25% off. Nice as the set is there's no way I would have paid £50 for it.
This Dr. Who release and its sequel are ones that I'll pick up when the standard editions are available in a special offer, say a 2 for £25.

FevreDream

This was on Horror not long ago, I thought it was terrible. 🙄

The_Wierd

Same here. Until then, I'll hang on to my Optimum Releasing Dalek Collection 2-film DVD set (£5.99, 2008). :)
I have that one too, it's good enough if I feel the urge to watch them again. A Blu-ray upgrade would be ok, but no way I would ever drop 100 quid on these films.

Even as a special edition, the artwork on this one is horrible, and the tat it comes with particularly tatty. A "special collector's coin" - shut up and take my money!!! :rotfl:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
A "special collector's coin"
If only it came with one of the Radio Controlled Daleks they used to make - or even the "Stop & Go" Dalek! (Mine got stolen Decades ago :( ). Then 50 Squids would be OK

The_Wierd

I think I fancy the coffee table book more than watching the actual films again, looks really good:

Amazon product

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I think I fancy the coffee table book more than watching the actual films again, looks really good:

Amazon product

Seeing those pictures of the Original Daleks, the little kid in me still wants to go & hide behind the sofa! :)

The_Wierd

Still too spendy for me, but the steelbook is 20 quid less, and I think looks much nicer. Doesn't have the "special collector's coin" though, which of course is a massive blow.

1655126436354.png

160 Sport

Is it just me but why ruin what could look like a great Release and cover it in Cartoon / Animated looking Art …….?

Why not use original Live Film Footage or whatever
but why oh why Cartoon looking image it spoils it Big Time .

From first look it conveys the Cartoon Version of said Movie as such .

Shame of a Classic Release.

it seems many New 4K / Blu ray releases are in Cartoon Drawn why ?
Agree, looks like the start of Grange Hill!

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Agree, looks like the start of Grange Hill!

All it is missing is a sausage on a fork :D

Not a Dr Who fan but I love these films. Saw them both at the cinema on release. Far too many 'chock full o' tat' / 'titans of tat' editions are around at the moment.

If it was the same price as the Get Carter UHD I'd have bought it already.

brian s

Distinguished Member
All it is missing is a sausage on a fork :D

Not a Dr Who fan but I love these films. Saw them both at the cinema on release. Far too many 'chock full o' tat' / 'titans of tat' editions are around at the moment.

If it was the same price as the Get Carter UHD I'd have bought it already.
At your age you didn't see them on their original release.

Bri

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
At your age you didn't see them on their original release.

Bri

Oops! Must have been a re-release. I even remember Clapperboard playing a clip (Roy Castle in the canteen I think it was).

Edit: Looks like I was -1 when the first one came out :D

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022