Dr Strangelove: The most hilarious film of all time?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gorshin, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some choice quotes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen, tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
    General Jack D. Ripper: Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
    General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
    General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence. :rotfl:

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, about, uh, 35 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper, the commanding general of, uh, Burpelson Air Force Base, issued an order to the 34 B-52's of his Wing, which were airborne at the time as part of a special exercise we were holding called Operation Drop-Kick. Now, it appears that the order called for the planes to, uh, attack their targets inside Russia. The, uh, planes are fully armed with nuclear weapons with an average load of, um, 40 megatons each. Now, the central display of Russia will indicate the position of the planes. The triangles are their primary targets; the squares are their secondary targets. The aircraft will begin penetrating Russian radar cover within, uh, 25 minutes.
    President Merkin Muffley: General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons.
    General "Buck" Turgidson: That's right, sir, you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority. :thumbsup:

HAS to be me the greatest satire ever?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Certainly one of my favourite films, up there with Withnail & I and Batman: The Movie. :)

3. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,538
    Brilliant film, Kubrick and Sellers at their best :smoke:

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    no it's not
    monty python and the holy grail, wins that award.

5. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Another :thumbsup: for Strangelove. I had to pick myself up off the floor the first time I saw Slim Pickens doing you know what at the end!

6. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    'You'll have to answer to the Coca Cola company'

and

'Gentlemen!! This is the war room'

I agree it is the greatest war comedy

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to say that it's the best comedy film ever, but not necessarily the funniest film ever. Regardless, it's brilliant.

8. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Classic film definetely
    But for me it has to be Monty Pythons Life of Brian

"Do you think its funny when I mention the name Biggus Diccus?" (hope this is allowed)

9. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    "............you can't fight in here, this is the war room."

Apolgies for the inacurate quote, but the whole film is just fantastic.

10. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual :thumbsup:

11. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Mr President, I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than 10 - 20 million killed.... depending on the breaks :rotfl:

It's classic stuff.

KH

12. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    General "Buck" Turgidson: That's right, sir, you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority.

Dr. Strangelove: Mein F¸hrer! I can WALK! :rotfl:

General "Buck" Turgidson: Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

President Merkin Muffley: You're talking about mass murder, General, not war!
    General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

General "Buck" Turgidson: General Ripper called Strategic Air Command headquarters shortly after he issued the go code. I have a phone transcript of that conversation if you'd like me to to read it.
    President Merkin Muffley: Read it!
    General "Buck" Turgidson: Ahem... The Duty Officer asked General Ripper to confirm the fact that he *had* issued the go code, and he said, uh, "Yes gentlemen, they are on their way in, and nobody can bring them back. For the sake of our country, and our way of life, I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them. Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation. Uh, my boys will give you the best kind of start, 1400 megatons worth :rotfl: , and you sure as hell won't stop them now, uhuh. Uh, so let's get going, there's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids. God bless you all" and he hung up.
    [beat]
    General "Buck" Turgidson: Uh, we're, still trying to figure out the meaning of that last phrase, sir.
    President Merkin Muffley: There's nothing to figure out, General Turgidson. This man is obviously a psychotic.
    General "Buck" Turgidson: We-he-ell, uh, I'd like to hold off judgement on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in.
    President Merkin Muffley: General Turgidson! When you instituted the human reliability tests, you *assured* me there was *no* possibility of such a thing *ever* occurring!
    General "Buck" Turgidson: Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.