• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DPReview - Amateur Pro-gear/Pro Amateur-Gear...

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Some of these are interesting as well. Pro with toy cameras.

shotokan101

Banned
Why is that Jim?

They have a studio session in which there is no need for AF, image quality is plenty sufficient for their needs, ISO is not being pushed.

We know that the camera whatever they use is not going to make any difference in this scenario.

...that's sort of the "point" isn't it ? - to show that it's experience that matters more than gear....

shotokan101

Banned
Some of these are interesting as well. Pro with toy cameras.

Yeah - watch lots of those - always interesting to see what they can produce...

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Well I found this interesting on DPReview...

Shootout: Pro with amateur gear vs amateur with pro gear

Jim
Tbh this is not a scenario where you are testing a camera or lens. Studio lighting with lenses stopped down is going to narrow the gap of any pretty much any gear. Also, as has already been mentioned on here the only difference between a pro and amateur is that one makes their living from it, not that one is necessarily better than the other.

I get the point it's trying to make in that the tog is the most important bit, just look at some of the portraits in the latest Master of Photography. Thousands of pounds worth of gear to churn out tripe. However, all that being said I still disagree that gear doesn't matter. In scenarios like the video whilst the bridge is narrowed there will still be a difference, and if you're wanting the absolute best results then you need the better gear. Then there's the times when you need fast accurate AF with shallow DOF, nice creamy bokeh, fast accurate tracking, the ability to let a lot of light in etc etc.

There seems to be this vogue thing at the moment where folk keep saying gear doesn't matter, but it's nonesense imo. It all depends on what you're shooting, what you want your final image to be and what your expectations are.

Edit: Just seen some of this has been discussed already :laugh:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
...that's sort of the "point" isn't it ? - to show that it's experience that matters more than gear....
Yep this ^^^ This makes far more sense than those that say that gear doesn't matter :smashin:

wysinawyg

I think the Pro Tog with Cheap Camera did this better.

I found it fascinating watching David Hobby doing off camera flash with a dirt cheap Chinese flash gun and an even cheaper Buzz Lightyear camera. Properly out in the real world using his knowledge to try and make up for massively compromised gear.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom