DpM's Garage Conversion - Questions and Build Thread

DpM

I am going to be converting my garage into a cinema. I am about to apply for the planning permission for this (change of building functionality) and an extension to the house. I am currently going back and forth with the architect around the plans and wanted to get some advice on what the best option would be of the ones below, or maybe someone has an idea I have not thought of? I will also use this thread for updates on build, equipment and to no doubt many more questions for those that have experience around taking on a project like this.

The house extension will be first as there is a need for an extra bedroom ASAP, having said that I don’t expect that work to be started for at least another 6 months maybe more due to builder availability. The cinema room will be at least 8 maybe 10 months off. Not a bad thing as I can cover all the bases for questions I have as they come up.

The garage itself is not attached to my house but is attached to the neighbour’s garage. The lady next door has said I can do whatever I want, and she is not concerned with the noise. I will want to soundproof to a decent level though as she is in her 80’s and won’t be there forever. Looking at other threads the best option would be to build a room within the room.

Anyway ontop the option I have though of. Here are the current measurements (Please excuse the terrible plans, I used the plans from the architect and butchered them).

Current Garage Measurements.jpg

Here is option 1 where I keep the current storage shed and use it for the AV equipment:

Cinema Measurements Option 1.jpg

This is option 2, but I also have the issue in my mind that the room is almost square and therefore a pain for sound and the equipment would be in the room.

Cinema Measurements Option 2.jpg

Option 3, build a wall to have the projector behind and other equipment, but the room would a wider than longer could that be acceptable for sound?

Cinema Measurements Option 3.jpg

Any advice, pointers, opinions would be most welcome, thanks for taking the time to read this far.

ufo550

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the av equipment being in the room IMO. A suitable bespoke cabinet would hide them away.

Its important to get the viewing position, and location of your screen; I don't think option 3 would work.

Personally I prefer option 2, with the screen on the wall opposite the door. See what others think.

DpM

I wouldn't worry too much about the av equipment being in the room IMO. A suitable bespoke cabinet would hide them away.

Its important to get the viewing position, and location of your screen; I don't think option 3 would work.

Personally I prefer option 2, with the screen on the wall opposite the door. See what others think.
Thank you for the reply. If I were to go with option 2 then maybe building a housing for the projector would help reduce the noise from it.

ufo550

Distinguished Member
Noise.

I know there's quite a few members who find such noise quite annoying. My PJ is boxed in, only because I have a star ceiling. The fan is audible, but it doesn't bother me, especially while watching a movie, I don't notice it then.

Without the star ceiling, I wouldn't of boxed it in. The manual states it should have 30cm air gap each side. I couldn't have this, so I have some cabinet fans keeping it cool. More 'noise'.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
The important part is how many people this is for?

That will dictate how far you sit from what size screen, and therefore what size the room needs to be.

I don't like option 3 because of the reduced throw distance from the projector.
If it's more than just you in the room, I like option 2 and would put the projector in the storage section, and have a hole for it to shine through. Good throw distance and instant hush box for the projector.

I assume the garage is really close to the house, so you don't have to face many elements on the way?

DpM

The important part is how many people this is for?

That will dictate how far you sit from what size screen, and therefore what size the room needs to be.

I don't like option 3 because of the reduced throw distance from the projector.
If it's more than just you in the room, I like option 2 and would put the projector in the storage section, and have a hole for it to shine through. Good throw distance and instant hush box for the projector.

I assume the garage is really close to the house, so you don't have to face many elements on the way?
I am open to suggestions on how many, I was hoping for guidance based on the room size.

In an ideal world 4 people but that then would have my seat if in a row of 4 off centre. I imagine for 90% of the time I will be the only one in there as I am normally the one sat up at night on my own watching movies. Therefore, why shouldn’t my seat be in the sweat spot 😊

I guess if there is space maybe a row of 3 with 2 more seats behind for the rare occasion more people want to watch. That is if space permits. If not maybe a row of 3 and have some beanbags for kids to sit on the floor, not ideal but in a pinch.

The storage space could be a good idea, it is currently an up and over garage door that I was going to replace with a roller door for access to the lawn mower, car washing stuff, tools etc as was not going insulate it as well as the cinema section of the building. With the PJ in there I expect I would need to do so, so the cold in winter won’t cause an issue?

The garage is very close to the house and with the planned extension will be even closer about 5 foot distance from back door to cinema door.

Thanks for the replys so far @ufo550 & @Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I am open to suggestions on how many, I was hoping for guidance based on the room size.
Eh? We have 2 children, so my cinema had to accommodate at least 4 people (I do want us to all be able to sit comfortably), otherwise there'd have been no point building it. Since it wasn't much more effort, I've made room for 4 more in the back, as it's not compromised the front row at all, but if I couldn't fit those, 4 would have been fine.

In an ideal world 4 people but that then would have my seat if in a row of 4 off centre. I imagine for 90% of the time I will be the only one in there as I am normally the one sat up at night on my own watching movies. Therefore, why shouldn’t my seat be in the sweat spot 😊
Quite right. A row of 3 would be good, unless there are 4 of you in your family, and leaving one out would cause issues.

I have a row of 4, with centre love seat. I can move the chair to the side when there are less than 4 of us, if I want my seat to be in the centre, or if it's just me I can sit in the centre of the loveseat if I like. But if there were only 4 of us, I'd probably have done a row of 3.

I guess if there is space maybe a row of 3 with 2 more seats behind for the rare occasion more people want to watch. That is if space permits.
A lot of people put recliners at the back, but you don't need them if your room isn't massive. I've got recliners at the front, and at the back I've just gone for 4 real cinema seats. You could fit them in about 105cm, with a small riser (like 7.5").

If not maybe a row of 3 and have some beanbags for kids to sit on the floor, not ideal but in a pinch.
So how many of you are there?

The storage space could be a good idea, it is currently an up and over garage door that I was going to replace with a roller door for access to the lawn mower, car washing stuff, tools etc as was not going insulate it as well as the cinema section of the building. With the PJ in there I expect I would need to do so, so the cold in winter won’t cause an issue?
First and foremost you'd need to make sure if doesn't get damp or dusty. Maybe you'd have to seal it from the storage area, and have air paths to the cinema room. But first think about seating location and screen size, and see if the projectors you'd be interested in can throw a large enough image without going into the store area.

The garage is very close to the house and with the planned extension will be even closer about 5 foot distance from back door to cinema door.
Oh that's great. My outbuilding is like 30m away, and the prospect of walking to that to watch a film was not good (for us).

Thanks for the replys so far @ufo550 & @Triggaaar
:smashin:

Last edited:

DpM

So how many of you are there?

There are 4 of us in the household. I had not though to other options other than recliners TBH so I will need to investigate that side of things, maybe a loveseat could work.

First and foremost you'd need to make sure if doesn't get damp or dusty. Maybe you'd have to seal it from the storage area, and have air paths to the cinema room. But first think about seating location and screen size, and see if the projectors you'd be interested in can throw a large enough image without going into the store area.

The projector I was probably going to opt for would be the JVC N5. I have also been wondering about getting that sooner rather than later with the new models coming along and hearing (on the AVF podcast) that prices are going to go up substantially.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
There are 4 of us in the household.
So the big question is, how many of you will watch together? It's often difficult to know the answer. Some families like watching things together, other enthusiasts are usually watching on their own. I think it's worth taking a bit of time to really think how the room will be used, and by whom.

For me it varies from 1 to 4, but if I made it for 3 it would be awful for the times we want to watch together (given that I just about have space for 4).

I had not though to other options other than recliners TBH so I will need to investigate that side of things, maybe a loveseat could work.
Mrs T isn't keen on me building a cinema room in the first place, but having a sofa section was her prerequisite. It also saves space (1 armrest fewer), which is a big deal in my room. And further, it means those sitting at the sides are sitting a few inches closer to the centre.

When trying to fit a row into a tight space, it's worth considering the slimmer seats (unless you're a large family). I found that things like the Valencia Tuscany and Octane Flex have way more room that we need. Even their slimmer models are very roomy for us. So a slimmer model meant we could get more seats in, and have us all close to the centre of the screen, and further from the side speakers.

The projector I was probably going to opt for would be the JVC N5.
Oo nice. Work out what distance you'll be from the screen, and what size image you want. Then check how far the N5 needs to be in order to create it.

I have also been wondering about getting that sooner rather than later with the new models coming along and hearing (on the AVF podcast) that prices are going to go up substantially.
Have you got access to a new one now? If you have, and it's a decent price, it's not a bad shout. It depends how long it will be until your room is ready. I massively underestimated how long it would take me to get my room built, so I've had lots of equipment taking up space in our house for over a year.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom