1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPLII vs DTS Neo:6: Which is better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tk2001, Jan 16, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I currently own a Marantz SR-5200 and I am very happy with the way it decodes DPLII although I would have prefered slightly more bass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does DTS Neo:6 perform the same job as DPLII by converting an analog stereo signal to a 5.1 signal but in 6.1 instead of 5.1?

Are there any improvements over DPLII? I read that in DTS Neo :6 mode, the volume level of all the speakers are increased by 3dB, can someone veryfy this?

Is DTS Neo:6 compatible with DPLII encoded soundtracks such as Star Wars: Rogue Leader on the Gamecube which is encoded using DPLII?.

When playing music or watching films through DTS Neo:6, is the bass reduced in the same way DPLII is?

Lastly, how does DTS Neo:6 fare against a DD and DTS 5.1 soundtracks?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Encoded in DPLII? I thought DPLII was to enhance stereo sources only (as does DTS NEO:6)?

Badly I would say. DD and DTS are discrete systems, DTS Neo:6 (and DPL, DPLII) are matrixed so the channel separation is much better for DD and DTS soundtracks.
    Well, actually the above applies: DTS Neo:6 is intended for stereo sources and not a direct competitor to DD and DTS.

I dare to say DPLII and DTS Neo:6 are just another DSP mode. Which doesn't mean one or the other is not good, but I lack a bit of experience here though from what I hear most people actually rate DPLII very high - in use with stereo sources.

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Nope, Rogue Leader is encoded in DPLII and uses 'true' 5.1 separation of all 5 speakers and subwoofer. You can hear Tie Fighters flying coming from the rear-left speaker to the from right speakers - its actually the first game ever to incorporate the use of a 'true' DPLII 5.1 soundtrack.

"LucasArts Entertainment Company is proud to announce that Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader will support Dolby Laboratories' Pro Logic II sound technology. Star Wars Rogue Leader is the first interactive entertainment title to use Dolby Pro Logic II and will provide players with fully interactive, uncompressed, real-time five-channel surround sound. Want more details? Check out the "Ears-on Impressions" article at IGN.com." - www.lucasarts.com

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby PLII is not a DSP mode and it doesn't just enhance a stereo soundtrack.

Dolby Pro logic 2 encoded tracks contain 5 channels but these are matrixed into the stereo L/R. As far as I can tell there is no Subwoofer channel in DPLII (I stand to be corrected)

As for the original question. I think (IMO) Neo6 Music is better than DPLII music for stereo sources.

And I would also like to know whether Neo6 actually Decodes DPLII encoded stereo in the same way or whether it does its own decoding??

5. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good, if long article, so DPLII is the THING... I use it always for TV , Tunner and 2 channel DVDs...

7. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A damm good read!!!

That was by far the most insightful read regarding DPLII, DTS Neo: 6 and other matrix decoders I have stumbled across.

Not only does it answer most of my questions regarding the DLPII vs DTS Neo:6 debate, but it also compares other similar matrix decoders to each other and gives the ovarall pros and cons of each decoder.

In the end, I am happy I brought a Marantz SR-5200 which supports DPLII - yes, I know there are better receivers out there but for the price I paid for mine, I'm more than happy with it.

Heres a quote from the review that sums up (not directly) how well DPLII has advanced over the orginal DPL:

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yet that does not mean it's better than DD or DTS (5.1), or in other words it might be a welcome addition to DD/DTS receivers as to enhance stereo sources. I don't think it is intended to compete with DD/DTS (not another format please!) since it remains matrix encoded. Technically it remains a DSP mode though (when used with stereo sources).

9. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner, this got me thinking(!) Is DPLII actually an encoder, as well as a decoder?? IF it can decode DPLI stuff and add its stuff, but also encode stereo material, it seems that way.

I've just read the rest of this thread properly (always a good idea) and sussed this out. DPLII decodes DPLI and adds stereo rears - "DPLII music" is a separate mode which encodes pure stereo sources.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You cannot decode where there has been nothing encoded. So the only way to make surround out of a plain stereo source (not DPL) is by applying processing, aka DSP.
    What DPLII makes out of DPLI or DPLII encoded sources is a different issue.

Well, perhaps I cannot express myself too clearly or I am too picky. ;)

11. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Location: Taipei, Taiwan" You don't half hop about the world do you, Reiner!!:eek: What's it like there compared to KL for example?

Regards

Jim :cool:

12. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

A word about the ‘Secrets’ matrix decode comparison – it’s worth noting that their Pro Logic II decoder was ‘tweaked’ over a number of weeks since it was part of the Meridian beta program, whereas the other matrix decoders were often used straight-out-of-the-box with all their parameters at the defaults. Anyone familiar with Neo:6 will know that there aren’t many adjustable parameters, whereas Logic 7 on the other hand has a whole host of adjustments.

I think it’s worth noting that the two major players, Logic 7 and Pro Logic II share many of the same goals in either music or movie modes, namely anchored stable centre/front imaging and an enveloping, expansive rear soundstage. Logic 7 has the edge here because it was designed for seven loudspeakers as against Pro Logic II’s five, although Jim Fosgate says it would be possible to expand his system.

Being able to flip between Pro Logic II and Logic 7 on the same box (a Lexicon MC-12) I’d give a slight edge at the moment to Pro Logic II, but only because the SHARC re-coded Logic 7 suffers the odd steering error. Version 1.1 for the MC-12, due February/March will address this issue and then it’ll be a very close run thing. Logic 7 on an MC-1 is, arguably, an equal if not superior system. Put it this way, they’re both very good…

Neo:6 is a little different since in the music mode it doesn’t use the centre channel; this is an odd approach since the use of a centre often improves off-axis imaging, but my experiences tend to echo those of Stacy Spears. Circle Surround is the poor relation to all of these, although Circle Surround II shows promise.

Circle Surround II: http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surround2001/technology/page_01.shtml

But how about Pro Logic II, Logic 7 or even THX for the car? Anyone fancy a new BMW? http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/meyer/page_06.shtml

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

13. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26