1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPL2 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thedude, May 26, 2003.

1. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When my receiver is in DPL2 Movie mode, why can i hear slight vocals coming from the rear and main, its supposed to be coming from the center only right? Then why there are still vocals coming from the surround though it can only be heard when u put ur ear to the surround or main?

Unlike when decoding a DD 5.1 in which u can only hear the dialogue from the center, i thought DPL2 is almost like DD 5.1 with discrete 5.1?

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO, it's not!! DPLII is an analogue format, just like DPLI but with stereo separation for the rear speakers. The signal is still matrixed from an analogue stereo signal, so your receiver is basically guessing what sounds should go in the rears, and it's thinking maybe it should put some voices in the rears.

With proper DPLII material the stereo signal will provide subtle hints to the receiver about where to place sounds in your 5 speakers. With standard stereo material played back in DPLII, there are no subtle hints just the standard stereo singal, thus your receiver guesses where the sounds should go.

3. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sunday,

Ohhhh thanks for the info, i thought its like DD 5.1, so theres no problem with my DPL2 and its normal right?

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about those VHS tapes that has Dolby surround logo? If the connection is analog the PL2 will just decode the VHS as 2 channel stereo right? unlike those DVD's that is Dolby Digital 2.0.

If i have 2 movies of the same title, one is in VHS format that has Dolby surround stereo logo on the tape and the other in DVD with Dolby 2.0 surround and i use DPL2 on both movies, will the sound differ. i mean which will be accurately decoded? which has more precise channel separation? dont mind about the sound quality coz i know the title thats in DVD format has better quality, what i mean is, is the surround output on all channels the same? or the surround output on the VHS will be different on the surround output on Dolby 2.0 in dvd?

6. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DPLII will decode any Dolby Surround encoded source. The Dolby Surround on the VHS tape is identical to a Dolby Surround encode Dolby Digital 2.0 track, the difference being that the latter will be of better quality.

Dolby ProLogic works with phase and amplitude differences. The more phase accurate the source, the better DPL will be able to do the job. With a tape-based medium, phase errors can occur easily because of the tape not being exactly aligned with the heads of the recorder. With a digital medium, this isn't an issue.

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting to know thanks. So if it's out of phase it'll get sent to the rears and in phase sounds will go to the fronts, correct?

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Sorry to jump in, but wouldn't a well recorded VHS soundtrack be better than Dolby Digital 2.0? Especially if its played back on a decent VHS machine.

I've been using a VHS deck to record audio for years. Its a trick that never really caught on but the quality is phenomenal. Way better than compact cassette, and possibly better than any domestic audio recording medium in use today.
    If you've not already tried it, you should IMO.

Dolby digital is a 'lossy' format.
    Surely a good quality analogue signal of the same source is going to be better.

I've never actually compared a DD2.0 soundtrack with its equivalent on VHS, but my money would be on the VHS version.

9. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understood it PL2 Movie is only really for movies encoded in Dolby Surround and that if a source is only plain stereo PL2 music is the better mode to use. Well thats what I do anyway.

To quote from the Dolby site:
    "All Pro Logic II receivers offer a Movie mode optimized for movies or programs with Dolby Surround soundtracks."

"Probably the most innovative feature incorporated in most receivers is the Music mode, which creates a rich and enveloping surround ambience from stereo sources such as CDs."

10. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you take the bad quality of broadcast television and rented tapes into account, DVD's DD2.0 tracks are far more consistent. When you record your own stuff on VHS with a good quality source, things are different of course.

11. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Since converting to DVD I find myself unable to watch any of my pre-recorded VHS tapes I cringe at the picture and sound quality (some of these films have only been watched a couple of times), so where a good quality analogue VHS tape may be better than a 'Compressed' DVD you try finding one.

For the question Dolby 2.0 Surround and Stereo Surround are the same thing 2 channels = Stereo, the Centre and Rear information is 'Matrix encoded' into the left and right channel in the same way that the centre rear information for 6.1 Matrix is encoded into the Rear Left and right channels.

12. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Jules is referring to self-recorded tapes using a good source. Pre-recorded tapes are a nightmare most of the time.

13. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that a DVD encoded with Dolby Digitial 2.0, was infact just plain stereo and a Dolby Surround dvd would be labeled as 4.0 or Dolby Digital Surround.

14. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had a look through a load of DVD's today to see how they were labelled, including a load of 'Budget' titles, and could only find Dolby Surround written on them, no Dolby 2.0 or 4.0 stereo, there were a load of Dolby Digital without the 5.1 so can only assume they are also surround or even straight stereo, did find something interesting on the Phantom Menace Video quotes 'Dolby Digital' along with the THX and Lucas Film stamps, not sure how they get away with this? VCR’s are analogue aren’t they? Surely it should be Dolby Surround or even Dolby Analogue?????? Suppose no one was willing to argue with Mr Lucas.

15. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just Mr. Lucas being a bit lazy to change the labels for the VCR edition from the LD version... :) I have the LaserDiscs. Thos things ROCK! :clap: