1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dpl, dd, Dts...........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyp, Feb 16, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but........

I have a Sony 940 a/v amp, Sony 725 DVD player (R2 only) and Sony VCR. The
    DVD player is connected to the amp and TV via a digital coaxial cable and
    RGB Scart respectively, the similarly the VCR via analogue phono and Scart.
    When I set the amp to AFD mode (Auto Format Decode) and use the DVD player,
    the amp will auto select 5.1 DD or DPL according to how the disc is encoded.
    The only exception to this is with DTS software (eg Gladiator), where I
    actually have to manually select DTS from the film menu screen each time,
    its this normal??

Next question: Are there any TV programs (normal TV, not satellite, digital
    etc) or videos encoded with anything else but stereo? When I watch either
    of these sources with my amp set to AFD, I only get stereo - is this normal?

I played Star Wars Episode 1 the other night, and was surprised I also still
    only got stereo, not even DPL?? I can select DPL manually on the amp but is
    this a 'virtual' DPL or real encoded DPL from the software?? Does DD not
    mean a full surround sound soundtrack??

Sorry for so many questions!!

Thanks

Andy P.

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can't speak for the Sony,but my Yamaha E800 auto selects DD and DTS ok.

Most new Movies on VHS Video today are encoded with Pro-Logic Surround Sound and sound excellent.

TV Programmes available on most Platforms that are in Dolby Surround Sound are the X-Files,new Star Trek's,Frost,Cracker and Heartbeat spring to mind.

DD covers all channel options and systems whether they are Stereo,DPL,DD 5.1 or DD EX 5.1.

3. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all.
    I am also using the same connections.I hope this is correct..but i think:

The A.F.D only works when you use a source that's connected digitally.
    So when you have a analogue source the A.F.D. will select stereo. In other words it doesn't work.

So you must select normal surround or other DSP modes. If a movie( and some series) broadcast in stereo the signal will also include a DPL code in it. And the receiver will decode it automatically.

And i guess that Starwars episode 1 was with the VCR. Only DVD and LD can send a DTS/DD signal. Even the "Digital" satelite is only regular stereo/DPL signal.

Hope this helps.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have a DB930 which is the predecessor of the 940 and is virtually the same machine. I believe only the casing, location of buttons and the amps are different.
    As was said earlier, the AFD mode only auto detects a digital source(meaning DVD) but what wasn't said was that it may not automatically play the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. It depends on what the default soundtrack selection is on the dvd itself. What I mean is that for example a disc may have a Dolby Pro logic(DD 2.0) soundtrack as the default but it may also include a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. The AFD would detect the digital source but select Dloby prologic decoding. In this case you would have to manually select 5.1 from the dvd menu. Most dvds have 5.1 as the default anyway but this is not always the case. The flourescant blue light will light up when a 5.1 soundtrack is playing, so if it doesn't on a particular disk when you think the disk has 5.1 then check the dvd menu's.
    With regard to the issue about prologic on tv and video, 99% of movies on video have a prologic soundtrack and most of the popular tv shows do also.
    You should select your video input, set the sound mode to 'Normal Surround' or the Dsp mode of your choice and the amp will remember that selection and always use that sound mode. What about non Dolby prologic tv programs and video's I hear you say. Well IMHO even non encoded stereo programs sound good with prologic encoding switched on. The true Prologic stuff just sounds even better.
    The same applies to your dvd input. ie Select dvd on the amp,Select AFD, the amp remembers and as I said earlier you should only on occassion have to go into the dvd menu to select 5.1.
    Hope this helps.

------------------
    Don't be a don't be.......Be a do be!
    HomePage - http://gofree.indigo.ie/~deveney

5. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks guys, this helps a lot.

Andy P.