1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DP Upgrade or Denon EQXT what do you think?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by simonthepieman, Sep 19, 2005.

1. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This is my situation I use a TAG 32 single processor and I am
    considering the upgrade to dual processor which includes room EQ
    My sp 32avr was the latest spec ie. 7.1 bypass 192 dacs etc .

But as denon is about to launch the 3806 with the MultiEQxt
    room correction system my question is to existing A1xv or the cheaper
    AX11xv which are the only units to have EQxt at present how good have you found the EQ to be in use.
    I will only be using the 3806 as a pre/processor as I use external Amps
    and the video options are not important to me, just sound quality is.

I have read the avs forum where they do seem to like room EQ although have had some issues with sub eq which a recent software update seems to fix . I assume when the 3806 is launched the room EQxt will be the latest version.

I have posted the above in the Integrated thread but what do people here think has anyone tried Denon's EQxt and compared it to the TAG
    version.It is of course auto setup which is much easier than the TMEQ
    to set up and as the Denon has the latest spec dsp chips will they perform better as well as the tag?
    I would assume some bias as this is the TAG forum also I would guess not many people with have tried an alternative to the TAG's
    Any responses would be useful.If the denon is up to the mark I may sell the Tag (save some money) and of course not go through the waiting period of having an upgrade with IAG, how long does it take nowadays?
    Simon

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I’ve not heard the Denon but auto-configure would certainly be easier than the TAG approach. However, I’d be very surprised if the Denon system performs as well, even with later DACs.

Look at how you set up the TAG variant – you start a calibrated microphone, a lap-top loaded with the best acoustic measurement and then the RoomEQ configuration software. I used Denon kit for years and loved it but I very much doubt that is going to give you the same degree of control. I’d still be very interested in finding out how theirs works and how much control it does give, though.

I’d suggest paying a visit to someone who has set up TMREQ and listen to what it does. Then see how the Denon compares. If you can live with the difference, it’s an easy decision (bit obvious I suppose but...)

Before TMREQ came along, I was even thinking about AudioControl's Rialto. Gawd! That seems like an age ago!!

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think Johns new piece of software with both RTA and correction software built in makes life a little easier (and its free, thanks John!). I doubt that the Denon system would be quite as accurate as TMREQ although I maybe wrong. The best EQ system I've heard against TMREQ was the one on the Lexicon MC12B v4 which was automatic and worked a treat, but of course an MC12B costs a few pennies :eek: Apart from the quality of the EQ system none of the Denon kit Ive heard has come close to the refinement of Tag gear with regards to SQ ;)

4. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I assume you are talking about beta/test version since latest official is still 3.22

5. singletrailer

singletrailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Thunder
    where can I find John's new piece of software?
    Thanks for your help

6. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thankyou For the response so far. I will wait for more info on the new Denon's
    and to see if anyone does compare Auddessey to TAG EQ

7. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

I went thru similar "anguish" last year when I was thinking of getting the Denon or a DP. The Denon models I listened to and compared to my AV32R SP (same spec as yours) included the A1, A11 and 3805. Although the automated "room Eq" from Denon is easy to set up, it is not impressive enough nor flexible enough to do justice to a proper room Eq like Tag's. At the same time, I also compared the Denons to the Lexicon MC12/JBL Synthesis room Eq. To cut a long story short, the Denon's Eq is very rudimentary compared t the Tag and Lexicon, there are limited adjustments available and it is nowhere as flexible or has as many adjustable parameters or refinement as the Tag and Lexicon. The Lexicon's limitation is the use of filters for below 250Hz only, whereas I think there is no such limitation on the Tag. Also, if I remember right, the Tag has more filters than the Lexicon.

The other thing to consider is that no matter how good the A1/A11/3805/3806 is, it is still a receiver and you will be paying for the power amp section that you don't need. The pre-amp processor/DAC section certainly does not match up to the AV32R SP, let alone when you add in the room EQ of the DP. It's a bit like comparing a Volkswagen (Denon) to a Mercedes S class (Tag). That's why in my own situation I ended up going for a DP, which actually was cheaper than the Lexicon MC12/JBL Synthesis.

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Go into the TMREQ sticky, its in there somewhere :smashin:

9. IanS

IanS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  10. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    audionutter
    Thankyou for your response it is nice to know the baseline quality of the TAg is fundamentally better than the
    Denon in fact i went from a 3801 to the tag and it was far far superior to the 3801
    I just expected over the years and with eqxt the denon may be an improvement .
    But from your experince with Denon's EQ it seems the TAG still has it
    How long does an update to DP take and how much was yours as your SP is the same spec as mine?

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
  12. singletrailer

singletrailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  13. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yes, but this is still version without RTA etc. Mark was either talking some test version or just kidding with us.

14. IanS

IanS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Maybe John M. is still working on that version? But as far as I am aware, no others have yet to be formally released.

15. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simon,

I didn't upgrade my SP, I got a new DP instead. I still have my SP which I am probably going to use in my second system. So I don't know how much IAG charges nowadays for a DP upgrade. Sorry.

16. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I use my system for listening to music, with video and film a long way behind.Now, a real beginner's question! Those of you who say the DP is much better than the SP (which I have): are you referring mainly to music, film or both?

17. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both (short and brief)

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Neale has posted above...yes to both...much better overall,and when you take into account TMREQ,it's just a different league(and yes,I've owned both).