1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DP upgrade for the AV32R- Worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rob, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Folks,

Having looked at the possibility of upgrading my AV32R EX with the dual processor option, it looks as though it would cost around £1800 for my model. This is not far off what I paid in the first place!

Is there really that much of a difference? It looks as though I'm unable to listen to one before hand, so could do with some comments from users, and people who have heard both.

Cheers Rob.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I was thinking about this upgrade too, but changed my mind as I doubt it would be of great benfit over my current set up.

Heard lots of people of the Tag site rave about the upgrade, but I just can't justify spending more than it cost in the 1st place just to get more power that I don't really need as I doubt I'll ever go 7.1 etc..

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Rob.

I sold my original av32r on to a fellow member here, it was a 7.1 unit with 24/192khz dacs (PL2 and DTS ES Discrete) but no bypass. The actual cost of up-grading this unit worked out to be not that far away (about 600.00 if i recall correctly) from selling on and buying new, which is what i did and got the 5.1 bypass into the bargain if you like.
    Firstly just to get this out of the way, i got my new D.P unit in the middle of March and have suffered a few technical difficulties ever since, a mixture of both software and hardware incompatibilities that the dual processor presented that, to the best of my knowledge have only this minute now been ironed out and on Friday i received a D.P unit that appears to be functioning flawlessly, i was aware of other owners experiencing similar problems but am not sure as to whether the entire D.P range was afflicted up until Monday of last week, certainly as i understand it production was "halted"? for a little while but those chaps at Tag have got it all under control now.

Is it worth the up-grade?
    How long is a piece of string?

Is it better than the original unit?
    Yes, but no-one is going to tell you that it is like going from a Metro to a 911.
    For starters if you are only using 5.1 then you have no need or ability to use THX2 processing (other than subwoofer boundary compensation)
    How many of us use DTS96/24?

The selectable crossover points on all channels and bass redirection rules (and of course boundary compensation) now allow a comprehensive bass management set-up that allows you to use your speakers in a more efficient way.
    TMREQ is so very good - that in my opinion it just could be as Tag say, in that under poor room acoustics' situations it is probably better than a speaker up-grade - but of course if your room is better than average then TMREQ is not going to have the same dramtic effect - although you really should hear what an even subwoofer response sounds like - simply magical! I kid you not.
    Processing across the board is much improved,it is both razor sharp and perfectly delineated within a constant and stable 360 soundfield.
    A few changes to some of the existing surround programs have been made.
    Party mode and the forth-coming height channel are new free surround modes.
    Dolby headphone is an optional extra.
    I think the unit is bloody superb, but then everyone knows (and is bored by) this.
    It is still a Tag and retains "that" sound - like it or loathe it.
    It is in my opinion and my set-up a great purchase/up-grade/whatever, i could forsee however for some that it simply will not bring the same gains.

Regards

Steven

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for your posts Guys, A few good points to consider.

Acoustically, my room is not good, virtually square, so the TMREQ could well be worth it in itself. I currently use a BFD , which I've found effective, although limited of course. I'm mainly using Kef TDMs and Rotel amps , which I know are not 'top end' but would probably still benefit from the upgrade. I may see what kind of deal I can get on a new model against what mine is likely to be worth (standard AV32R EX, only upgrades I've had are PLII & DTS discrete). This could be the deciding factor.

I guess these decisions are never easy.

Thanks again,

Rob.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Yes.