1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DP question...how does this differ from the SP?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Smurfin, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    For a short time as many of you will know, I owned a Tag AV32R with 192khz dacs, and combined with my old Blueskies (which had a very bright edge to them) it became fatigueing - especially at high volumes. I vowed I'd never own Tag again, but I now own PMCs which are certainly less edgy than the blues, and am just wondering if the equalisation on the DP actually smooths things out at all?

If it does, then looking at those prices I am sorely tempted..... :eek:

Any advice from people with experience?

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Anyone? :)

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The main difference the DP has is the TMREQ room equalisation system, which, by all accounts is nothing short of sensational.

It also offers various things like party mode, PLIIx and a few other bits and pieces. Details can be found here http://www.iaguk.com/tma/av32rbp192dual_main.htm

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    With TMREQ you dont really deal with any frequencies above 200hz so it wont dull down the top end. If there are any problems with your top end it is in fact likely to make it more apparent as it strips away all the bass flab. You could add in a filter to take off the very upper frequencies if you wished but its a much more effective tool for removing resonance in the LF :thumbsup:

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    So the inherent brash sound of the Tag is likely to be consistent? (I don't mean to be controversial as I know lots of people like that sound, but my experience, certainly partnered with Blueskies, is one of fatigue setting in!) After doing a search, I couldn't actually find much in the way of comparisons between the SP and DP, but I have seen numerous references to TMREQ "smoothing" out the sound. I guess it's a difficult one to answer, because it's all so room dependant (I know my room isn't brilliant acoustically).

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    TMREQ really does make a massive difference however :) But the DP has lots of other nice little features, I in particular like the ability to set individual cut off frequencies for each speaker making bass management much more accurate :smashin: PL2X is also a boon especially when you tag it on (excuse the punn) to DD5.1 :)

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :thumbsup: I would say that speakers effect the overall balance of the sound far more than the electronics. I love the Tag sound, but I have heard Tag electronics partnered with M&K stuff (which is known for being forward) and thoght it sounded bloody awfull :( I would say that the harsh sound was more to do with the blue skys than the Tag. As far as I am aware and have been told Blue skys have a very similar analitical type of sound to M&K, imsure partnered with your PMCs the DP would sound great

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I live in Perterborough mate, not too far from Bedfordshire. If you wanted to have a listen to my DP, you would be welcome :thumbsup:

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt , if you match the equipment carefully (AV32RDP amps and speakers), it might give you sound you dreamed about.

I found that Accuphase amp and Dynaudio speakers sing when fed dromTAG source equipment.
    I think Christoph claims the same for TAG - McIntosh - KEF combo.
    However most of the users found all TAG - Nautilus setup the best.

But you have to listen by yourself and decide what suits you the best, preferably in your own 4 walls.
    Enough crap, I am going fishing for a week, finaly some brain rest :)

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Well Hi-Fi Bitz have sold out now, so that's answered my question for me:) I wouldn't want to take the risk anyway without hearing it, due to previous experiences. What are the odds that someone's bought a load to stick on ebay? :) Bet you'll see a few popping up with a Buy It Now price of £2000+...