Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DP and Height Channel ver 4.10

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Bogi, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    So, has anyone tried out the height channel feature in the version 4.10 /4.20 software yet?

And come up with a workable real life solution to the 7.1 or 6.1+height channel dilemma with DPLIIx? :rolleyes:

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Bogi.

I am running v4.2 with PL2x and have the height channel (speakers) installed.
    I have not had the time to really have a real play these last couple of weeks (or at least not in sociable hours).

I have a problem in so much as my 2 surround back speakers are at least 1.5m apart so if i simply engaged height channel the remaining surround back is off center.
    I have got around this by installing a mulitple pole relay arrngement so that when height channel is engaged the unused surround back then drops in parallel to the active surround back speaker/channel (luckily they are 8 ohms).

There is no get around at present you set the speaker array to either 6.1 and height channel or THX2 compliant 7.1 speakers.
    To use both height channel and THX2 you have to change between 1 surround back and 2 surround backs within the menu.
    I also have to use the second listening position function to allow for the change in surround back spl's when using height channel.
    Tag are working on a more elegant solution to this with the next software up-date as i understand it.
    Any way when i next have half a day to play height channel investigations is top of my list, i have been enjoying PL2x in this interim.

regards

Steven

3. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Steven

Well, I'm hoping to receiving my unit back from its third round to the Tag factory (repair stuff - a sad story) any day now so I can do some testing.

I've concoted a little box which will act as switch between the height and the dual back surrounds (also 8 ohms). However I haven't yet ordered DPLIIx, I just want my unit back and get it up and running. I've been using SLR+back for 5.1 sources as well as for DPLII.

So, do you find the implementation of DPLIIx' 7.1 mode worthwhile as compared to DPLII with SLR+Back engaged?

All the best
    /Bogi :)

4. Xtrips

Xtrips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve and Bogi,

I admit I feel a bit lost with all your discussions.
    Could you spare me 5 minutes and give me some advises about my config?
    I will probably get my new Sharc DP card soon and will probably solve my sound problems. I guess in the end Tag will regain my confidence. So I am asking myself, where do I go from here?

I am actually using a 6.1 config.
    What does it have to do with THX2 ?
    Should I consider upgrading to a 7.1 config ?
    And what about the ceiling channel ?

If I stay with my 6.1 config and add a 7th channel for the ceiling, will I encounter the same problems you are experiencing ?

Thanks for your time guys.

5. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Xtrips

In a THX2 set up you can choose between using 1 back speaker or 2 that are a bit apart. The dual set up is actually what THX recommend. However it's still the same 6.1 back signal that is routed to the two back speakers.

DPLIIx uses a matrixed signal that allows for some steering between the two back speakers as does TMS 7.1 (Tag's proprietary format).

There are only 7 outputs on an AV32R 7.1 unit. If you want to use the Height Channel you have to use the Right (or was i Left?) Back Speaker output. This means that if you have a 7 speaker set up with two back speakers you need a kind of switch with an extra output for the Height speaker, this means also that when engaging the height channel the back speaker signal is only sent to one of the back speakers which will be weird as it's a bit to the side.

However, if you only use 6 speaker this is not a problem. Also, if you have a switch you can use 7 speaker set up for music, DPLIIx etc and then when you want to use the height channel you run the matrixed height channel signal to the 8th speaker in the ceiling and can still have both back speakers activated.

What it all boils down to is having 8 speakers with 7 outputs on the Tag unit having to deal with sometimes 6.1 signals and sometimes "7.1" (not discrete but matrixed).

If you stay with the 6.1 speaker setup and then add the 7th for the height you shouldn't have any problems, I think...

Corrections to the above are highly appreciated. :cool:

6. Xtrips

Xtrips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Bogi!
    Thank you for your clear explanation.
    I think I will stick with 6.1 plus 1 height channel.

What speaker would you recommend for the height channel?
    I am equipped with Linn on all speakers + sub.

Do you know any Internet site holding a list of movies carrying a height channel ?

Thanks again.

7. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Xtrips:

Well, as I haven't received my unit from its repair yet I haven't actually installed the height feature yet. It's only activated from software v 4.10.

However, I'm planning on using a Mission bipolar 7DS I have lying around as it is placed flush to the ceiling, which I think is non obtrusive, and it's white which I think will be nice.

As for software with height channel, that's easy:

There are none!

There was some rumour that When We Were Soldiers would have it, but I believe it turned out that there wasn't.

The Tag Height Channel is an artificially derived channel from 6.1 sources only.

I guess though, it'll be cool with flics like Das Boot... :cool:

cheers

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    THX2 can only be engaged if 2 back surrounds are used - unless you lie about it, but the point is that THX2 looks to extend a 5.1 stream into 7.1 speakers.
    Hence this "problem", you can at present set the Tag up to be THX2 compliant OR a 6.1 speaker array AND height channel.
    PL2x is not affected and will wncode to a 6 or 7.1 speaker array.

Regards

Steven

9. Xtrips

Xtrips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Considering that:
    - THX2 is a kind of DSP treatment to the sound that can only be administered when having 2 surround back channels

- the height channel must be encoded in the media, and not reproduced if inexistant on the media

What would you advise me?
    To opt for a 7th channel for THX2 and finally have a THX2 configuration (is it worth the investment?)
    Or to invest on a 7th channel for the ceiling channel, and wait for future media that might or might not make use of it.

The thing is I won't use any splitter, or boxes or else. i won't bother.

Thanks.

10. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I understand it correctly, the height channel info is derived from the soundtrack if there is no dedicated (matrixed) channel. Therefore, while random, there will be results regardless of software, though they might not always be desirable. If it works anywhere near as well as PLIIX then I won't be complaining, but I haven't yet figured out if I want to start ripping my cinema apart to make this mod;)