1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downward Firing Subs & Suspended Wooden Floors...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dimmy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't they agree with eachother? Phil (THX 1138) said he had a bad experience between his SVS & his floors, and thus it sounded awful.

Am I now constrained to front firing?

TIA

Dimmy :)

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    Not as far as I'm aware, there are no "rules" for bass in this respect and every room is different. You may have a suspended wooden floor, but don't rule the SVS out. I wouldn't worry tbh...

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I had similar doubt regarding downward firing subs and my suspended wooden floor but they were unfounded. Obviously the placement has to be right but thats the case with all subs in any room, i found as long as my sub was situated over a joist everything was fine. I have the kEF kHT2005.2 package if that has any bearing on your situation, placed over a joist in my bay window ;)

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I am sure Phil put my guesses to rights, here, but I will offer some thoughts:
    Phil also had, at one point, 2 REL Storms. These were downward firing and I seem to remember him enjoying good quality bass. There was some issues about using 2 subs together, as I recall, and the room shape is somewhat irregular which may be an issue.
    I am sure you’re aware; whatever sub you choose, the size and shape of your room will be the most important factor influencing the setup of a sub. When I had my REL Storm III (which Phil bought from me indecently) it took me ages - nearly a month - to set up right. The MJ acoustics was much the same and the time I had the sub on loan was not enough to do it justice, to be honest. My old REL Q100 was also a hard slog to setup as was the Sonus Faber Gravis - both front firing.
    Conversely, my old Strata III, Paradigm PW2200 and my current Q400 were all very easy to get right, and would sit just about anywhere in my room. The Paradigm in particular seemed to fit in just right, perhaps elevating it's perceived performance above what it actually produced.
    Like Smirfin said, there isn't a hard and fast rule and it is a rare occurrence that a sub just won't work in a room. Normally this has got to do with odd sub designs, like the Gravis which has 2 sifdefiring ABR's. The cylindrical SVS design, if I remember rightly, is a down firing driver and a upwards firing port which is itself unusual. Maybe the combination of this outré design and irregular room was why it didn't work too well in Phils room?

Russell

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So SVS might still work well in my room?

Is there any way to make a calculated guess?

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dimmy
    I dont know if you read my thread about nathan silly but he was in the same situation as you he ordered his blind and was more than happy with his purchase as you can tell from his reveiw and yes his sub was in his bedroom suspended floor.
    For what its worth if the sub wasnt to your liking iam sure youd have know problems reselling it.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    Ps i think stellavision had his svs pci in a flat also suspended floor with no problems at all.:)

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then perhaps plan SVS lives on :D