Downward firing sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mcmullanbrush, Aug 18, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using a downward firing sub and it has been causing my living room to vibrate.
    I previously used a much more powerful forward firing sub without any such trouble.
    The sub is sitting on wooden floorboards, is there anything I can do to isolate it. Would sticking blue tack underneath it help:confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First things first: fix yer floorboards !!! If you've got loosies screw 'em down tight.

A complex solution is to have a heavy mounting beneath the floor, with appropriate holes in your floorboards, and your sub 'sitting' on the mounting, rather than your room. This, in effect, decouples your sub from the entire house.

If that's too elaborate, try a big peice of granite, marble, even a paving stone on blu-tak sheets or halved rubber squash balls and have the sub on top sitting on spikes. Er, or something.

HTH,
    Mike.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikes couple the sub to the floor. Try without if the sub has rubber feet.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Paving slab sitting on halved squash balls then the sub sitting on lumps of blue tach on top of the slab. I reckon that the presence of the squash balls and blue tack, the arrangement should not only be reasonably decoupled but would also be less prone to itself resonating in response to the room.....Isnt it wonderful the idea physics brings to me! :D

ad

5. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you can sit it on something solid thats damped, ie a paving slab sitting on a bed of sand this will help, impossible I know but your not only vibrating your floor boards but you now have a coupled cavity under the floor. It may just need the paving slab, it's fun experimenting time.

Please excuse the spelling i'm drunk

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I admire your style;)

Thanks everyone, I will experiment a bit:)

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try squash balls filled with silicone sealant underneath concrete slabs underneath spikes... worked for me.

8. Sean O'Squirrel

Sean O'Squirrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Brush,

As a matter of interest, what kind of sub do you have as it seems only a few days ago that you had one of Chip's favourite fire hazards.

9. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seano hello

I own a Paradigm servo-15 and a Yamaha yst sw800.

They didnt blend very well so my plan was to sell both and buy 2 subs of the same make and model.

Unfortunately, I had no interest in the Yamaha, so I have agreed a sale on the Paradigm and I am now trying to set up the Yamaha to provide the required bass on its own.

This is why I discovered the problem.

I can attest that after 30 months of ownership the Paradigm did not cause a single house fire or death.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst this is a debatable point, I think you misread/misunderstood what I wrote anyway.
    Mike.