Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Downsizing?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nick, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A2 with an old Mission setup of 753, 75C and 77DS with a Rel storm sub.

I am moving house and am considering a smaller, all in one speaker package and need a slim centre speaker, ideally silver to match the plasma.

Any suggestions or should I stick with the current set-up and just change the centre speaker - if so, any ideas of suitable replacement?? Budget of up to £1,000 for the whole change.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Sorry, not an answer to your question.... but just letting you know that if you decide to sell your 753's, I may be interested!

3. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules, thanks for the interest but will be keeping them for a seperate Hi-Fi set up if I change and dragging the old Cyrus 3 Amp and PSXR out of the cupboard :)

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Those old Mision 75's were, are, real stars. To be frank, I think that swapping to an all in one slimline system will not sit well. The best all in one that I have heard in the Infinity Oreus (info here). Pretty good, but not up to your Mission standards.

Russell

5. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is exactly the sort of look that the good lady would approve of Russell thanks - I will try and track down a set to audition.

My post last night about setting up a true audio system with the 753s has got me thinking and as a result I am now either going:

1. Keep the Rel and the 77ds and add smaller front and centre speakers.
    2. Buy an all in one such as the Infinity suggested.

Any thoughts???

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Have a look at the VM series from B&W that may fit the bill for the front three or perhaps even the spherical Orb speakers that are mentioned elsewhere on this page.

In the past I had a similar system to yours in that I had a REL Storm plus Mission M7DS rears but I had M&K fronts

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I had floorstanding fronts before my upgrade. I used to prefer floorstanders as they have a more full sound, genrally. However, after listening to both M&K 850's and Ruark Etude standmounts, I have changed my mind. I find standmounts to be more artuiculate, especially with a decent sub. If it were me I would go for smaller front 3 and keep the rears until you want, need, or in my case, afford to replace them.
    Saying that, the Orb speakers Ian mentioned look pretty good (thread is
    here). Dunno what they sound like, though.

Russell