• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Downscaling 1080p to 720p

Markk

Standard Member
Hi all

I currently have a Toshiba HDE1 HDDVD and a Sony BD-PS300 BLU RAY connected to my Yamaha
DPX1000 projector, (720p) model. The HDE1 looks fantastic at 720p into the projector. The Blu Ray looks good but not brilliant. The projector will not accept a 1080p signal, nor will it do 24hz. I have tried both players outputting 1080i but I prefer the 720p image.
My conclusion, the scaling in the HD DVD player is much better than the Blu Ray machine. The question is, as time marches on will any Blu Ray manufacturers bother with 720p quality? Do I need a good exteral scaler to let the Blu ray machine output 1080p at 24hz and the scaler output 720p at 50hz? or do I just cut my losses and buy a new projector?

Problem is I really like the DPX1000:mad:

Any ideas welcome..

spooney

I am not sure to understand your issue.:confused:
Did you set 720p as output in the video settings on the Sony? You can change the HDMI resolution to anything between 480 and 1080 p and i.

Markk

Standard Member
Hi Spooney

I have tried outputting all the resolutions from my Blu ray machine. The image does not look as good as the HD DVD player at any resolution. It seems a lot softer.
I was a little bit vague in my first post as to what I was asking.
What I was trying to say is... Has anyone got a Blu ray machine into a 720p projector and making an excellent image? If so what Blu Ray machine are you using?

I suppose I am dissapointed with the BDP-S300 compared to my HD DVD player.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom