Downmixing 5.1 to 4.0?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by wunduk, Jan 5, 2007.

1. wunduk

wunduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Warning: this posting will probably outrage the golden-ears, so you'd better stop reading now. ;)

My intention is to create a 4.0 setup with my favourite pair of speakers (old ProAc 2s), and those spherical Apple Pro computer speakers for the rear - the noise they make is very acceptable for their tiny size.

I'm avoiding a subwoofer because the ProAcs have enough deep bass not to need one (and I have neighbours).

I'm avoiding a centre speaker for two reasons. Firstly, the front speakers are rather too close together for a centre speaker to offer any benefit. Secondly, I'm thinking of getting a Pioneer PDP507XD and hanging it on a chimney breast (far enough) above a heater, so a centre speaker would be hard to arrange without looking very obtrusive. (Using the under-mount Pioneer speaker would be the cleanest-looking option - left and right wired in parallel with an amplifier that could cope with half the impedance. It still spoils the clean lines of the panel, though.)

I initially started searching on here for shallow (as in depth) AV amplifiers and there doesn't seem to be anything less than 30cm deep, to fit the cabinet I'll be using - even with the back cut out. But with this odd combination of speakers, I'm quite happy to use two old stereo amplifiers, which will fit where I need to put them. In fact, I need something very low powered for the rears or I'm at risk of melting them - not the 50+ WPC that seems impossible to avoid nowadays!

I therefore need a four channel volume control and input selector, plus at least a Pro Logic decoder for Freeview (and Wii if I get one). Unfortunately, having this as a separate component leads me into "audiophile" territory where the prices rapidly get silly.

Through these forums I did find a possible candidate though: the Creative DDTS-100. This also offers more advanced digital decoding which I'm quite likely to make use of, and indeed would have to use for DVDs as it doesn't have a sensible multichannel analogue input. It's small and remote-controllable so looks ideal - except that I don't think it's compatible with systems without a centre speaker. (Someone asked about this on the Creative forums and got no answer.) My Dolby Digital DVD player and my old Yamaha Pro-logic AV amp both allow you to disable the centre speaker, mixing it into front left and right, but I see no way of getting the DDTS-100 to do this.

So, can anyone suggest anything else? Alternatively, how's this for an idea: I mix the DDTS' centre channel output into front left and front right using an op-amp or two? And would I mix the subwoofer output in the same way, or ignore it?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    Hello wunduk

Stick a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector (YSP-1000 or YSP-1100) below the Display with a small active sub and forget about mini AV Receivers and combining decent HiFi speakers with computer speakers for rears etc.

Joe

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Joe's right, what you are suggesting sounds fiddly and is not likely to offer particularly good results. The Yamaha Sound Projectors would be ideal in your situation.

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The apple speakers you're suggesting are likely to be completely outclassed by your Proacs, resulting in them probably being more distracting than beneficial.
    I'd suggest you go with a dedicated stereo amp as against AV, it'll sound better (certainly with music), and you can get them of smaller size.