Downloading Youtube vids

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by yorkshirecath, Jun 10, 2009.

1. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Is there a straight forward easy way to do this???

Thanks x

2. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Yeah, but i'm not sure if the forum rules allow people to talk about it / link to sites for it.

A quick google should give you what you need though ;)

3. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm obv a bit naive then. Is it illegal?

4. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    It's against the YouTube Terms of Service:

5. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Just google/bing* it youtube download :D

*Forever Microsoft fan boy :thumbsup:

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    Don't see how it can be since when you view it on the YouTube website it gets downloaded onto your computer automatically.

The legality will be how you use it from that point onwards - if just to view on your computer it can't be illegal because Youtube put it on your computer in the first place without you even asking.

If you want to host it elsewhere, send it around, sell it etc. then it is illegal (probably).

Cheers,

Nigel

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    Iccz is perfectly correct that it is against their terms and conditions to download a video.

As such, we cannot condone or encourage people to do so.

Thanks,

Dave

8. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Then Google needs a quick lesson in the internet. When you watch a Youtube video it is downloaded, temporarily into your temp internet files. And remains there untill they users deletes it or the browser does.

:D

9. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    But it does state:

I'm sure they know that files are stored locally.

10. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    But then again YouTube say that it is only for streaming but they don't stream it, they download it to your computer.

If they stuck to their 'streaming only' mandate then YouTube would have died out years ago. It's success is based mainly on the fact that they don't stream but download (or upload for the pedants).

In normally operation I'd say that <<<1% of YouTube videos are viewed in true real time.

Cheers,

Nigel

11. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    But the cached files are not stored in a playable format, well they are, just missing the .flv extension, but still it's a totally different thing between having files cached and downloading files and storing them in a format that is fully viewable etc.

It's not like their Terms of Service are not clear on it.

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    The point is Nigel, that they do not want to watch it again, even though it is "temporarily" stored on your hard drive. Subsequently accessing it is a :nono: according to their terms and conditions.

What you get up to in the privacy of your own hard drive is up to you, I'm just pointing out AVFs stance on the matter :)

Dave

13. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,495
    But if I watch it on YouTube and then go and watch it on YouTube again - it doesn't say "Sorry you've already watched this once before".

Nor does it say "Okay I'll stream it for you".

No it says "actually you've already got it on your hard disk, I'll play it from there"

I appreciate the legalize, but they'd have a pretty tough case trying to prosecute you for watching it on your PC for personal use when they put it on there in the first place - especially as if you watched it legimiately through their site they'd use exactly the same file rather than downloading a new one.

If YouTube wanted to enforce their legalize then they could stop the downloads overnight - of course, YouTube would then die out shortly after.

Cheers,

Nigel

14. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    I think the fact of the matter is they've put it in their ToS for legal reasons - various record and film companies often put videos up themselves - the ToS is just there to make them feel a bit more secure about it, and the fact that most of their users probably wont have a clue about the cached files. Obviously policing such a thing would be near impossible.

15. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    KEEPVID and a multitude of other similar sites allow you to download from streaming sites. Whether you use it to download vids from certain sites with certain terms or not is entirely up to you. Nothing whatsoever dodgy about the keepvid site though, so no reason not to actually name it.

Or use CC cleaner, stream the vid then go into your internet cache. The vid will be the only large file there and it will play in VLC player amongst others.

16. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Except the fact that it violates the YouTube Terms of Service, something which a mod has already said in this thread that is not condoned by AVForums :confused:

17. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Knives can be used to commit murder which im sure AVF does not condone, does that mean I cant post THIS link?

Lets not get silly here for goodness sake.

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    I obviously carry about the same weight as YouTube's Terms of Service :D

"Yeah, we read it, just didn't take any notice of it..."

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with mentioning a piece of software with a legitimate use and discussing that use. Discussing it's use to do something wrong (however trivial in the real world) is.

So to use your analogy above, that link is fine, discussing how to murder someone with a knife, or explaining to a 16 year old how to circumvent the over 18 law to get one would not be. And a link to combat knives might need to be looked out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  19. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    What a terrible example, how is buying a cooking knife in any way violating anyones terms of service, any law or even any kind of rules?

When a question is asked about a site like OP has asked, there is only one simple answer, Yes it is possible, but it violates the ToS of that site, and linking to the software directly on the thread is effectively a promotion of how to break the ToS of YouTube, something i'm sure AVF do not want people using the forums for.

20. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    For the love of god. What you do on your machine, is no business of mine. And vice versa. So if I download Youtube videos and keep and store them, and watch them out of Youtube UI. Then that's my business. And if big bad Google want to come after me, then again thats my problem.

Now stop fighting children :D Kiss and make up (optional) :p

21. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    If that knife were to be used to commit a crime it would be against the law.

Just as the site I linked can be used legitimately and illegitimately. It gets a bit silly though doesnt it. The OP could start a new thread and ask are there any sites that allow you to download streamed vids (without using the word youtube) and suddenly its fine? I did say its up to the OP whether they do it or not.

I can just imagine the next question: "Is there anywhere online I can watch Prince videos?"

Answer: well there is but we cant possibly say where as Price's record company doesnt like it. Its not AVF breaking any copyright laws (or even condoning the breaking of them) if someone answers "yeah theres loads of them on youtube"

Oh no Ive just went and did another one :O

22. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    The question was can you download videos off youtube, and you gave a link that goes to a site which allows this...

That would be like someone saying, where's a good site to buy a knife to kill someone, and you could say, well you can buy really good cooking knives from <site> but it's illegal to murder someone...

You're still answering their question, regardless of how you want to write it. Which to me is advising them on how to Breach the Terms of Service, which isn't really necessary.

Wether the site is legal/legit etc or not when you're linking to it in relation to the op's question it's as good as AVF condining it by leaving the link there, anyone can come see it - maybe from googling terms in this thread such as "download youtube video", skim through replies and find the site that allows them to do so.

23. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    :thumbsup: Fine by me. The OP has been advised that it is in breach of Youtube's terms and conditions and she also knows AVF doesn't encourage anyone to do it.

In that context discussing that it goes on is fine but telling people how to do it isn't, because it's getting close to promoting piracy which is an infractable offense.

Dave

24. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    So why is it that piracy is so heavily moderated if you are not actually linking to pirated files or piracy sites etc :confused:

Can we not just use the "your machine your business" attitude to that?

25. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    It is a grey area in which we have to make a judgement call sometimes.

It's more along the lines of do what you like on your own machine but don't boast about. This thread is teetering the wrong side of the line, but I've left it because some interesting points have been made. If I'd got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Rygar and Wayne might be sitting on a 6 month 5 point infraction each.

Dave

26. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    I appreciate that technically it is a grey area but I just think its somewhat trivial and verging on the ridiculous not to give out the info when its something like this that is SO widely known about and the information is so easy to find.

I mean consider this....chances are if the OP goes to google video, the very same clip will be there with a nice little button provided by google that says "download this video"

There I just gave a third way of getting that video all above board & legit. Phew! Will get some sleep tonight now :thumbsup:

27. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    We try and keep it as simple as possible :)

If another site says, do not do that, we try and respect those wishes. We don't try and judge whether those rules are a little bit silly.

Dave