Downloading podcast as MP3

DrD787

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is probably a FAQ but I couldn't see it on the Podcast forum. When I click on "download the MP3" for the podcast it downloads but insists on playing in Quicktime, depsite having Media Player associated with MP3 files. Then when I do "save source" it asks me to pay for a Quicktime upgrade. I despise Quicktime to start with, so I'm hardly likely to want to pay to upgrade it. How do I just do what it says i.e. download an MP3 file that I can then do what I want with.

Tony

This is probably a FAQ but I couldn't see it on the Podcast forum. When I click on "download the MP3" for the podcast it downloads but insists on playing in Quicktime, depsite having Media Player associated with MP3 files. Then when I do "save source" it asks me to pay for a Quicktime upgrade. I despise Quicktime to start with, so I'm hardly likely to want to pay to upgrade it. How do I just do what it says i.e. download an MP3 file that I can then do what I want with.

Tony

Are you pointing to

http://www.avpodcast.co.uk/cast/avforums_podcast_033.mp3

Save this file to your desktop, right click on it and select open with.. then select media player.

Hi Tony,

It could be a number of things. First of all select media player on your pc and then click on properties. Where it says file types, select all and remember to click on save. Now go to the podcast link and Right click and save as. Now when you open the file it should play on your media player.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Tony,
click on save. Now go to the podcast link

Let me know if this helps.

Trouble is I *can't* go to the podcast link - as I said as soon as I click on that link it automatically downloads it into Quicktime and Quicktime won't let me save it.

Do you have any mp3's on your system that you could try ?

What happens when you open them ! Does quicktime open them ?

Do you have any mp3's on your system that you could try ?

What happens when you open them ! Does quicktime open them ?

No, they open with Media Player which was the point I was making in my first post about the file association not being Quicktime. I have a disk full of MP3's and have no trouble handling them - I just want to get the AV Podcast as an MP3.

The podcast doesn't use quicktime unless you access it through iTunes. If you are using a link on the forums for the MP3 link it will depend on your media players on your PC.
Did you try what i suggested with media player properties? If so and it didn't work, the only thing I can suggest is that you disable quicktime on your PC and then try the properties in media player again.

Open quicktime and go into edit preferences and then quicktime perferences

go to file types and tick mp3 so it looks like the following.

quick.jpg

Then register another media player or any other as file type mp3. Hope this helps. :)

Problem is that soon as I click on that link it fires up Quicktime and Quicktime won't let me save it

Are you using the left mouse button?
If you click with the right mouse button you will get a small pop up menu with 'save link as' option. You can then save the file to your computer and then load any media player and load the file.

Sorry if you already know this but I can't see anywhere in this post where the right mouse button is mentioned.

Are you using the left mouse button?
If you click with the right mouse button you will get a small pop up menu with 'save link as' option. You can then save the file to your computer and then load any media player and load the file.

Sorry if you already know this but I can't see anywhere in this post where the right mouse button is mentioned.

I have now sorted it thanks. The problem was that when I right clicked on the link in the email sent me by AV news I wasn't offered a "save link as" option, even though I could left click and download it to Quicktime. However, when I went to the AVForums link itself I was able to save link as.
Thanks all.

Tony

:thumbsup: No probs, hope you enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom