Downloading old games to my PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by videonasty, Jan 14, 2008.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I noticed that on Xbox 360, you can download old games onto your system to play. Can this be done on a PS3, if so, where?

2. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    There are 'retro' games available for purchase from the Playstation Store, this is accessible from the XMB (PS3 home screen) if you have a network connection available.

The games aren't free, but they're only a couple of quid, potentially cheaper than paying for a Gold membership to XBL, depending on how much you want to download.

Alternatively, if you can get hold of a 60Gb model, you can play older playstation games that you may have the discs for (these are probably available for peanuts from the net as well).

Hope that helps.

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Just to clarify the only old games you can download on the PS3 are PS1 games. There is no option to download PS2 games and whether this will be an option introduced in the future remains to be seen.

4. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Is there a site to show me what is available?

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Not that I'm aware of although you may want to check the official Playstation site. If you access the PSN store on your PS3 it will show you what's available and allow you to purchase them. I haven't really looked into them but I believe there aren't that many on the UK store at the moment. Holpefully more will be added.

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Just to clarify one other aspect:

Remember that both 40GB & 60GB model PS3's will be able to play PS1 games. Where as only the 60GB model PS3 has backwards compatibility for some (not all) PS2 games.

After reading a few threads there still seems to be some confusion as to whether 40GB PS3's can play PS1 titles.

S.

7. Rob B

Rob B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    The 40Gb model will only play PS1 games that have been downloaded from PSN though, right? Optical Backwards compatibility has been totally removed now, meaning only the older 60Gb one can play the actual discs (as well as PSN downloads ofc).

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    AFAIK the 40GB model will play all PS1 games, either old discs or PSN downloads. The 40GB is missing the emulation software that the 60GB uses for PS2 backwards compatibility.

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though:rolleyes: ) that the reason the 40GB model is missing PS2 BC is to keep licensing costs (and hence overall 40GB model costs) down to a minimum. I think the 40GB is technically capable of PS2 BC if the firmware had the missing 60GB code. I believe Sony argue that the 40GB would cost significantly more if they decided to include the relevant PS2 BC code.

S.

9. catisfit

catisfit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Actually the original US PS3s had the two most complicated chips (EE and GS, basically CPU and graphics chip) from the PS2 inside to make it backwards compatible. Obviously this is an expensive way to do things, so by the UK launch they had emulated one of the chips in software, making each unit cheaper. The 60Gb still has the other chip.

That other chip has not been emulated, and the 40Gb does not contain it, so the 40Gb is not backwards compatible. It's not the case that there is software on the 60Gb which is missing from the 40Gb, it's actually a hardware chip which is missing. It's a common area of confusion.

10. Rob B

Rob B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    Aye, the US ones had the Emotion Engine which was consequently removed from Euro - and eventually US - machines.

Didn't know the 40Gb could play PS1 discs, learn something new every day :)

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for the detailed explanation catisfit ! :thumbsup:

S.