Downloading maps, speed cameras etc

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Ferguson9, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Ferguson9

Ferguson9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi

Ive just bought a tomtom 910 and was wondering what the best way is to download the latest maps, speed camera info etc.

Do you pay £50 or something a year or can you just download the latest maps for say £5 whenever you want.

I wont be using mine that much, only for the occasional trips out of my city so I will only want to update the maps etc then rather than every week or even month.

Can I just pay the £5 or whatever when I want to update?

Thanks

2. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi,

With mine, I paid the one off payment for whatever, then downloaded it to my Tom Tom and then when ever any updates occur you get them.

Have to say that I can't speak for the Speed Camera download but I can't imagine they would charge you yearly. that'd be a rip off.

Darnun

3. Ferguson9

Ferguson9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    How much is it for the yearly subscription for the maps? Can you only get them from tomtom or are there cheaper sites?

4. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well my Tom Tom came with the UK maps already and I wanted the Western European one. I assume that you have installed the Tom Tom software on to your machine?? This allows you to find out all about what you can download and how much it all is?

I think the western European map was around £90 if I remember correctly. It's been a while. Now I have paid that, I won't pay anything else and it will be constantly updated via the GPRS signal as and when I use it.

To my knowledge you can only get the maps from Tom Tom site but I may be corrected there. I have never looked anywhere else for them to be honest.

I have to admit to getting the speed camera one off a friend of mine. I found a way of getting the file, he had, to work on my Tom Tom but that's another story for another forum. :smashin:

5. didgeman

didgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pocketgpsworld has the speed camera database. It is £2 per month but you can pay for just 1 month. You wont get updates this way though.

The database is well worth 2 quid every now and then IMO.

6. tjxkeith

tjxkeith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

If you are into newsgroups you will find maps there. I use UltraLeecher you have to register and subscribe but its a lot cheaper then Usenext. see

http://www.ultraleecher.com/cms/

I have the TomTom 520 and I put the version 6?? USA maps on it and they worked fine the latest UK and Europe is version 705. You will need a large SD card for all the maps.

7. Ferguson9

Ferguson9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    So when you have paid the £50 or whatever for the uk map for example, then its free forever or do you need to pay this everytime an update comes out or every year or what? How does it work?