Downloaded games won't install ! (Error Code: 80029564)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by py6km, May 4, 2007.

1. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Has any else had this error code?

I downloaded Super Rub a Dub and Blast Factor, but neither will install ("an error occurred during the install operation"), and I get the code 80029564.

According to a quick google search the cause of this code is unknown

:mad:

2. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    i've had this when i downloaded Ninja Gaiden. Deleted it and re-downloaded fixed the problem. Dunno why it happens. Also happened on Dej jam.

3. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Downloaded Def Jam three times (not sure why!) - each time it installs but when i run it - error "corrupt data"

4. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I also download Def Jam from the USA and when I installed it and tried to run, I message came up stating that the data was corrupt.

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,897
    Make sure you have the latest update.

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Strange. Def Jam works fine for me. Infact I haven't had a problem with any of my downloads.

Regarding the OP's problem do you have the latest update ? If not that may be the reson why the downloads aren't working.

7. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I had the same problem with Def Jam but also get a lot of problems trying to download video's. Some times it downloads it in a second or two and then I get Unsupported Data as an icon for it. It can take several attempts to get a video to download properly off the store. An annoying bug, especially as you then need to delete the icons of xmb

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It might be an issue with your connection or your PS3. It's certainly never happened to me and I haven't really heard of it happen to others.

9. Xabi17

Xabi17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hate to rez (not) but I just got this now.

Bummer.

10. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Seeing as this thread has been revied, I do not get the above problem any more since the (many) updates. I do not think there was a problem with my connection but rather a bug that must have affected a small number of people. After all, the recent 1.93 update was rumoured to have fixed a similiar network connection issue from the 1.92 update.

11. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I tried installing the Split/Second demo the other night and got this error. I now can't install ANY games or demos! Has anyone else had this happen recently?

By the way - sorry for reviving such an old thread.

12. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,869
  13. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Cheers, I'll give it a go.
    I hope I won't have to do this all the time though as it happens for all downloaded demos/games now. :thumbsdow

14. 80029564buster

80029564buster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please excuse the reactivation of the old thread and copy-pasta, but this in one of the threads that appears in Google when you search for this error, so I thought there was no better place to put my info on how to fix it, so I was motivated to sign up and post just for this!

--
    Much as I love it the PS3 has its quirks, that's for sure. The most annoying I have found is the mysterious error 80029564. The symptoms are this : download a demo or game file bigger than a certain size from the store and try to install. Once it hits 14% (always 14%), it errors out with 80029564 and leaves a "corrupted data" file in your games folder. I am posting this here to share my experiences and fixes for this common problem.

So, what causes this?
    This is where it gets a bit weird. A cursory internet search reveals that many, many people have had this problem but that few have solved it. And those who have claimed to solve it have done it in different ways.

So, what's the official line?
    I rang Sony customer support and they said that the file was corrupted, perhaps by a momentary dropping of the wireless connection. Now, this sounded extremely unlikely to me as it would be unheard of for a download service like this not to retry or fail an errored transfer or to checksum a download for errors at the end. From forum posts, they seem to give out this bogus advice a lot. Their solution was to move to a wired connection and try again. I tried this, to no avail. But everywhere you go you will see people touting this BS solution, to the point where it drowns out any discussion of a correct solution. The only plausibility I can see in this is if 14% just happen to be the point in the install process it does a CRC check. (But read on for reasons I believe this not to be the case.)

An even more alarming suggestion you will find on the web is that it is due to faulty RAM and you need a hardware fix! But I think it is also extremely unlikely, as faulty RAM would cause much more system instability than a failed install. And why would all installs, no matter what size fail at the same point? CRC again?

My next attempt at a fix was to move to a different account on the PS3 and try from there. THIS WORKED! But don't get excited. It only worked once. But the fact it worked even once proved that it was not file corruption.

Then I thought I had something installed on the PS3 which was causing problems. I cleared out all the stuff I could and tried again. Failure.

Then - the nuclear option - I wiped my HD and started from a blank slate. I redownloaded the file - and THIS ALSO WORKED! I think this comprehensively rules out the data corruption theory. But it is not really a realistic option as you will lose all your game saves, and who is to say the problem won't reoccur?

I tried backup, then formatting the drive and restoring. The error was still there, and that's 4 hours of my life I am not getting back.

I then read a bizarre suggestion - run the install, create the corrupted data, delete the install file (NOT the corrupted data) and redownload and install it with the corrupted data from the first install still in place. Amazingly, this works! This is the easiest solution, though again not ideal as you have to download everything twice. Still, you get to keep your game saves!

Or, you could buy a new PS3 - pretty sure this will work going on the HD clear method, but it is a tad expensive ;-) But if you are having these problems on a new machine, you may be able to persuade Sony to replace it under warranty. Good luck with that though, as they seem clueless about this error, always attributing it to transfer problems.

Another proposed solution is to turn off the Media Centre capability while downloading and installing. I have not tried this as the double download trick works for me. I will try it again and update if I get the error again.

Anyway - for TL;DR the solutions

CONFIRMED WORKING
    1. Leave corrupt data from failed install in place, delete install data, redownload, reinstall
    2. Try a different user account on the same PS3 (BTW games installed on one account can be seen on all)
    3. Format HDD and try again
    4. New PS3!

UNTESTED

1. Disable Media Centre functionality on PS3 when downloading and installing

NOT WORKING (for me anyway, contact me if it did for you)

1. Using wired install of wireless to download (offical Sony solution!)
    2. Faulty RAM (solution of guys trying to sell you stuff).
    3. Backup and restore to the same PS3 (restore to a DIFFERENT machine may work though?)

So, that's my experiences. I wanted to get them out there on the web as there is very little consistent info on this problem out there. If you think it has helped, have any other solutions or have anything else to add (I would love to hear from PS3 developers especially if they know what happens at 14% in the install process)

15. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
  16. 80029564buster

80029564buster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a very good thread, and I did read it before my post, but some of the information on it e.g. about background downloading and router problems are total red herrings. And it wasn't clear that you have to NOT delete the corrupt install data before redownloading. So I thought it worth posting my little FAQ here. Of course this error is so mysterious who is to say it is the same cause on all PS3s ;)

EDIT: Actually, I notice I haven't mentioned rebooting in my post, perhaps if you do that you CAN delete the corrupted data? But never mind, it's all here on AVForums anyway for future searchers ;-) My only motivation in posting this was because I suffered such extreme frustration myself, and to highlight the info for anyone else stuck like I was. Props to you if you had it sussed already! :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  17. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Yeah, the "delete the corrupt data before rebooting and redownloading" seems to be key.

18. zub316

zub316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok need some help. Having this problem for about a year now. Yesterday I download Sims Sky heroes demo. Was small file size around 400 odd MB, tried to install it failed at 14% so deleted the download file but kept the corrupted install file rebooted the PS3 and redownloaded the file and it work.

Today I tried EA MMA, exact same way but no luck :-(

Any help much appriciated.

Thanks in advance!

19. Kaden101

Kaden101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Try deleting some other data from your hard drive. Either a demo, or the installation files from an old game you don't play.

I had this 14% problem with the Ghostbusters patch, & it refused to install about 4 times. As soon as I deleted something else it worked straight away. I read that it was something to do with hard drive space allocation. Haven't had any problems since.

20. zub316

zub316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have various times deleted stuff but no luck.

21. Kaden101

Kaden101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    If it makes you feel any better, you aren't missing much.

22. t4v

t4v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the error for the first time trying to install NFS: HP. Deleted and trying a redownload.

edit - that seems to have got it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  23. buckem

buckem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem too. Searching around a common theme seams to be Netgear routers, which seem to have various PS3 issues. The setting that stopped me seeing this incredibly annoying error was 'Disable SPI Firewall' in the 'Advanced->WAN setup' section of my router config.

For the techies, I guess (purely a guess!) Sony must be using some weird protocol to download data which doesn't include a TCP (or similar) layer; the router must have blocked some packets and the protocol failed to notice, which if correct is crap to say the least...

24. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    All very well, but that doesn't explain when you don't download in the background, that it works...
    Delete the data(not really necessary) and don't download in the background.

The Packet Inspection firewall is only in useful in the unlikely event of DoS attacks, not really anything else.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  25. buckem

buckem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'don't download in the background' fix didn't work for me - it would fail too. But my theory may apply to that - if Sony really are using a fault-intolerant protocol doing as little as possible to upset the download process would help.

The SPI firewall fix may be legit (i.e. maybe packet delivery from Sony sometimes looks like a DoS attack, which makes sense if they're just throwing a load of UDP packets at you), or it may just tweak some internal logic which makes things works better...who knows.

26. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Right,

New PS3 slim, a few weeks ago, signed into PSN, and downloaded previous content:

Mortal Kombat 2,
    Super Rub a Dub,
    Super Stardust HD,
    Little Big Planet Move.

Downloaded all in the background, all 4 failed at 14%.

Carried out the steps in my post above, and in the other thread.

Re-downloaded them all, NOT in background, all 4 installed fine.

Literally a few minutes ago, deleted Super Stardust HD.....tried download Super Stardust HD on my kids phat ps3, disabling SPI, on my netgear...downloaded in background...download failed to install at 14%.

Enabled SPI, deleted download, and corrupt install data, re-downloaded, NOT in background, Super Stardust HD installed.

So, SPI has nothing to do with it, IMO.

All ports on both PS3's open for the requires PSN access.

27. buckem

buckem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sucks badly. Sony need to sort out this issue - it's been annoying folks for years.

28. WilliamBryant

WilliamBryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GUYS!!! I have read everywhere on the internet trying to fix this problem, but my dad is an IT manager and figured out what finally worked for us! I extremely recommend trying this for yourself, but i'm not 100% sure it will work for everyone. I could't install a map pack, and then found out i couldn't install ANYTHING. So this is what actually worked!

1: Update your router firmware! Open your browser and type in your gateway IP address. If you don't know how to find this out, you probably shouldn't be messing around with your router anyway. Or just look it up online, i'm sure you can find a how-to somewhere online.

2: Put your PS3 in DMZ!

3: Disable WMM (Video Priority)

4: Set NAT security open (No deep packet inspection)

This was done with a linksys wireless router. I didn't put in-depth instrucctions because everyone's router will be different. Please please PLEASE give this thumbs ups or like it or whatever. Just let everyone know that this WORKS!

It may actually just be one or two of the things above, but it worked with the combination of all of these so i'm sticking with it!

We tried many different things, but this one actually worked. I can't stress enough to post a link to this or something. Just get the word out okay!? If you wanna know why this works, well here it goes.

A PS3 is basically built for speed, thats what it's optimized for. So with your NAT type open, it kind of slows it down. We think that since it trying to go too fast, that packets are being dropped in the download. Disabling the WMM, and putting it in a DMZ will just contribute to everything. Simply updating your router may fix the problem, but I would rather do all of it so I don't have to download a large file just to find out that I needed to do the other steps also. 4.0 may have been supposed to up the speed, which caused the problem, but there's no way to know for sure. I give full credibility to my dad Will Bryant to figuring this out, but I'm posting this, so i ask to please not just copy and paste this and take credit.

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!

29. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Thanks will try tonight as have been having issues similar to yours. Your instructions do seem logical to fix the issue as I suspected similar causes.

30. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Can't put my PS3 into DMZ with Superhub.