1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

download video clip from tape

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by May1121, Dec 3, 2004.

1. May1121

May1121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, sorry for a "green" question like this. but i just bought a canon optura40 digital camcorder and shoot some videos in the DVC tape. How can I download the video in the tape to my laptop? This is urgent. Thank you for your help!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    No problem with the 'green' question, after all you need to ask to learn.

OK, to get any footage from a DVC tape onto a PC or laptop you need to connect them together by firewire (aka iLink, ieee1394 or DV port). If the laptop does not have a firewire connection then you can add a PCMCIA firewire card for around £20. The card should be supplied with a firewire cable, but if not then the chances are you will need a 4 pin to 4 pin cable for around £10. If you were connecting to firewire on a PC then it would be 4 pin to 6 pin cable.
    Once connected and powered on the laptop will automatically recognise the camcorder. you just need to then add some software to capture & edit the footage. If running Windows XP then you have the very good Movie Maker to do this. Just make sure you have all the XP updates from Microsoft that will have upgraded to Movie Maker 2 that is a lot better. If not running XP then take your pick of programs from the likes of Pinnacle, Ulead, Sony etc many costing well under £50, far less if going for an SE or LE version of the software.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

3. Alex3784

Alex3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also trying to put some tapes from my camcorder onto my pc, i was wondering if what you said above applied to my camcorder. I have a JVC GR-DVX8. The tapes it uses are 'DV digital standard' and on the camcorder, there is a port (i think that's the right word lol) called DV out. I'm sorry if my question sounds stupid but i want to be perfectly sure before i go out and buy a firewire card and cable.

Thanks for your help

Alex.

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes 'DV-out' is the correct port for your firewire connection (aka i-link , IEEE1394) proceed just as Mark said above, except that for a PC you will need a 4pin to 6pin cable and a firewire port on your PC (or you need to fit a card (cheap and easy)

5. Alex3784

Alex3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou guys for all your help, it's much appreciated :)

Alex