Download starts ok then slows

rcaudwell

Been having ongoing problems with Sky broadband for the 10 months since I got it, after plenty of calls to CS I`ve got a just about bearable 2-3mb download speed on Max, but still have a problem whereby the download starts off at 4-5mb, but slows withing about 30secs to 2-3mb. It then fluctuates up and down slightly for the rest of the download but with the general trend going downwards. If I download anything bigger than about 100mg I end up with downloads of 1-1.5MB by the end.
Anyone come up with anything obvious I may have missed here, or do I have to put up with it untill the long awaited time I can get my MAC code from them.

Rygar

Novice Member
Post your stats. It may not be an ISP specific problem.

Transfer rates as reported by IE/Firefox etc are not very reliable. They are constantly recalculating so many will see high rates to start with that slowly fall. The rate reported at the end of a 100 MB download will be the most accurate.

rcaudwell

Thanks, stats as follows:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 6096 9022 0 1708 17042 00:11:42
LAN 10M/100M 188 0 0 63 0 00:12:24
WLAN 11M/54M 9363 6242 0 16600 1812 00:12:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
Line Attenuation 18.0 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 12.7 db 13.0 db

The bit that`s always baffled me is the sync speed is spot on, but i`ve always had poor actual speeds. This is the same with a wired and wireless setup. I`ve also tried running TCP optimizer to very little effect.
The router is plugged into the master (and only) socket in the house, the socket has had a new microfilter, and the only other thing connected is a Sky HD box but i`ve tried it without that connected as well and it`s made no difference.

Rygar

Novice Member
That's a bit puzzling I have to admit. Maybe someone else can suggest something better...but all I can suggest for now is use mognuts hack to get your FULL stats then post your problem & stats & Skyuser. Someone there may have a better idea than I do.

As a matter of interest what do you get on a speed test at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

John Simon

Not a sky bband expert here so apologies if I seem like a numpty.

Does ie not start caching as soon as you go to the page - so when you click download the increased speed you see is really the cached file & the d/load speed slows as the cache decreses - the speed you see at the end is your actual download speed

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom