download speed - can someone help me please

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by jimmy5jumpers, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jimmy5jumpers

jimmy5jumpers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi,
    i checked my download speed at the speedtest.bbmax, and my download speed reads as just under 10Mb, which would be fine.
    I've been trying to download an Itunes update (600Mbs) and the file starts downloading about 2Mbs, then gradually decreases until it reads about 50kbps, sometines it will go back up, then descrease again.
    eventually it just stops altogether.
    The 600Mb file according to Itunes, based on current download speed will take 13 hours!!
    Virgin Media tell me that as my reading of 10Mb on the speedtest is within what I pay, they cant help me!!
    can someone here please let me know why th speedtest says my download speed is 10Mb, and files download at a snails pace?

many thanks

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Plenty of reasons why Speedtest and download speeds would differ.

Firstly, are you running the tests over wifi or cable? The latter will give you a more accurate readin g since wifi signal quality is affected by lots of things around the house (cordless phone, microwave, fridge, etc).

Secondly, the Speedtest results show the maximum connection speed and not necessarily the download speed which are two seperate things. You can connect at 10MB but your actual download speed could be much less.

Thirdly, Virgin implement traffic shaping so your 10MB will drop by 75% once you hit the threshold for 10MB (which will vary depending upon your specific package).

Fourthly, when downloading that iTunes file, the speed will depend on other networks factors suh as load and congestion so if you are downloading at peak time, the speed will be much less, at both the Virgin and iTunes end.

Lots of other reasons too but the above cover the main ones :smashin:

3. wright_here

wright_here

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hijack this post, but i have the same problem. I have a 30m/s download speed, but when i actually download anything it runs along at maximum 1m/s.

Surely this cant be right?

4. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    Hi mate what do you mean?

1MB per second
    Or
    1Mb per second?

Big difference. :)