1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download ipod to new computer

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Stuart Ballanty, Apr 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Stuart Ballanty

Stuart Ballanty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ipod is currently logged on to an Apple Mac computer and I have a lot of music on itunes on that Mac.
    I have just bought a new PC with Windows XP and, despite having loaded itunes, I cannot work out how to reformatt my ipod for XP and download (upload?) all my music to it.
    Do I have to wipe my ipod and start all over again?

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A basic XP computer can't read a Mac-formatted drive (of which an iPod) is one example). So, officially, you need to reformat the iPod to Windows format, then reload all the music back while docked to the Mac, then read the iPod on the XP box.

However, there are one or two third-party utilities which will allow the XP box to read a Mac-formatted drive. I've used Here and Now, and MacDrive for this, but I'm sure there are others.

3. Stuart Ballanty

Stuart Ballanty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, Mick, or your cat, for such rapid and helpful feedback. I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Stuart