Download 2013

vader100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Tickets on sale tomorrow and Slipknot have now been confirmed as the third headliner alongside Iron Maiden and Rammestein.

Slipknot will headline the main stage on Friday, Maiden Saturday and Rammestein Sunday.

Three huge live acts, this could be special if they get the right bands in to support. I'll be there this year I think.

Slipknot as Fridays headliner? Blast! I may have to re-think my 'no weekend ticket' plan now............ :D

overkill said:
Slipknot as Fridays headliner? Blast! I may have to re-think my 'no weekend ticket' plan now............ :D

You think Iron Maiden are past it but want to buy tickets to see Slipknot. Awesome :rolleyes:

None of the headliners do much for me....I'll wiat on the rest of the line up before making any decision

None of the headliners do much for me....I'll wiat on the rest of the line up before making any decision
Agreed. I would like to see Slipknot, and in particular Rammstein, but I wouldn't bust a gut to see either of them. It'll depend on the main support acts now.

Slipknot's show in 2009 has been mentioned as one of the best seen at Donington. I've not got round to getting the Bluray that has just been has been released but I will soon. I've never been able to see them live so I am really keen to be there this time.

Add Maiden to it, it is almost my dream Donington headlining set. If Metallica were Sunday.......

I just hope they don't stick somebody like Alice Cooper headling one of the other stages. I don't get to go to gigs or festivals very often now so I want to see all the bands I love if they are there. Last one was Donington 2007. That was a pretty special weekend.

I've always wanted to go to Download but not a fan of the bands except Rammstein and Slipknot. Gone of Metallica ever since I found out Jason left and heard Death Magnetic.

I've always wanted to go to Download but not a fan of the bands except Rammstein and Slipknot. Gone of Metallica ever since I found out Jason left and heard Death Magnetic.

Well that's two of the only three announced so far. I'd wait for a couple more months and see who else is added. There's about another 20 or so to go yet.

Bloodstock is of more interest to me. Rammstein won't be able to do a full show (they only did 75 minutes at Sonisphere) and I've seen Maiden 100 times before..

I thought I remembered you saying that you might give it a miss next year after the shambles of the 2012 organisation -glutton for punishment aren't you ;) :D

PS - it's me, John, under a new name :)

I thought I remembered you saying that you might give it a miss next year after the shambles of the 2012 organisation -glutton for punishment aren't you ;) :D

PS - it's me, John, under a new name :)
John? :eek: What's with the new moniker?

You are of course correct. Sadly, memory, the older you get, is no longer a safe guide......... :D

Besides, the rest of the family are already talking about going, so, unless I want to end up on me todd for the weekend, the lineup needs to be crap!

John? :eek: What's with the new moniker?

You are of course correct. Sadly, memory, the older you get, is no longer a safe guide......... :D

Besides, the rest of the family are already talking about going, so, unless I want to end up on me todd for the weekend, the lineup needs to be crap!

Will you be camping again next year or maybe try an off-site hotel or something? I suppose this year was shockingly bad weather and they seemed to be totally unprepared for it from what I'm hearing from friends who went.

Will you be camping again next year or maybe try an off-site hotel or something? I suppose this year was shockingly bad weather and they seemed to be totally unprepared for it from what I'm hearing from friends who went.
That rather depends on funds. If we can afford it we'll stay off site. If we can't, well.............

The best defence is to get there on the dot of opening and pitch on the areas to the West of the 'Village'. The campsites to the East were a total swamp as water (and mud) flows downhill into them!

If a WW1 society ever wants to run a re-enactment of Passchendale, Downloads campsite, the clay topsoil, plenty of wind and rain, and the organisers sheer incompetence will provide as realistic a location as they could want!

I've been to a few Downloads.. (about 7) but 2013s lineup.. I'm not a *massive* fan of Iron Maiden, im bored sh*tless of Slipknot (Used to listen them alot, seen them about 9 times live) but Rammstein I'd like to see.

I'll judge it on who else gets added, and see if Sonisphere pull something out the bag.

I've been to a few Downloads.. (about 7) but 2013s lineup.. I'm not a *massive* fan of Iron Maiden, im bored sh*tless of Slipknot (Used to listen them alot, seen them about 9 times live) but Rammstein I'd like to see.

I'll judge it on who else gets added, and see if Sonisphere pull something out the bag.

Or even happens.

I'll be going for Maiden, I‘d love it if they add "Infinite Dreams" to their setlist, I can't believe they have left it off when it was a single on the album and a main song on the original "Maiden England" tour.
I would have preferred Stone Sour to Slipknot as they have a new album out soon, but I haven't seen Slipknot in over 10 years so I'll have a good time anyway.:clap:

Has anyone ever taken kids before? My lad will be 11 1/2 and I was thinking this may be the only chance he'll get to see Maiden live.

Are there any problems that I should look out for? He's tall (nearly 5'5) for his age so seeing the stage should be ok.

A mate of mine has always taken his kids there and they have always enjoyed it. He's never mentioned any problems taking them but I'll ask the next time I speak to him.

Has anyone ever taken kids before? My lad will be 11 1/2 and I was thinking this may be the only chance he'll get to see Maiden live.

Are there any problems that I should look out for? He's tall (nearly 5'5) for his age so seeing the stage should be ok.
Have a think about where you want to stand once you get in there. I wouldn't recommend getting to close to the front for the main stage, try the wings. I found standing to the left of the stage in 2010 better than to the right this year. Far too many prats trying to push through (forcibly) and that's not funny for the younger kids. Keep away from the front area of the main stage - mosh pits ain't funny for the youngsters either.

Can't see any problems for the under 16's at the second or smaller stages.

I'll be going for Maiden, I‘d love it if they add "Infinite Dreams" to their setlist, I can't believe they have left it off when it was a single on the album and a main song on the original "Maiden England" tour.
It was only a live single released to promote the Maiden England VHS release in '89. They actually broke their 2-singles/album rule in '88 by releasing The Clairvoyant as a third single, as a Donington souvenir comprising live tracks recorded there. I saw them at the end of the year in one of the tour's final dates at Wembley Arena, Dec '88. Did you get to see them on that tour ... perhaps Donington itself, or possibly the NEC where Maiden England was shot? (anyone here on that vid?)

Showing off time :) (though have posted it a few times before) ...

Me at the '89 London convention of Maiden FC when the Maiden England vid and Infinite Dreams (Live) were about to be released
- was getting my The Clairvoyant 12" gatefold autographed, managed to get everyone's apart from Nicko's

maiden89.jpg

Last edited:
Have a think about where you want to stand once you get in there. I wouldn't recommend getting to close to the front for the main stage, try the wings. I found standing to the left of the stage in 2010 better than to the right this year. Far too many prats trying to push through (forcibly) and that's not funny for the younger kids. Keep away from the front area of the main stage - mosh pits ain't funny for the youngsters either.

Can't see any problems for the under 16's at the second or smaller stages.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting too close.:D

I reckon we will get a pretty good experience by the centre runway(if that is still there) about half way back to the technical area.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting too close.:D

I reckon we will get a pretty good experience by the centre runway(if that is still there) about half way back to the technical area.
Depends on the weather. They had two runways either side of the Technical area, and there's now a stand for the Disabled, and people with mobile phone tickets. At the front there was a barrier erected to prevent mass crushing in the wet weather about a thousand deep. If that's used again, I would set up behind, or better, just in front of the barrier.

However, to get just in front you'll need to be early! It gets baggsied early on! :D

Nice pics Krish, where did your hair go?? :)

I've seen families with young children at Donington most years. They seem to be OK as long as the weather is comfortable and they stay out of the tight spaces ! A few years back myself and a mate were backup the hill watching RATM and there was a Mom and Dad with 2 boys beside us. The kids were probably under 10, but they had to leave mid-set as the poor lads were knackered and falling asleep!!

Nice pics Krish, where did your hair go?? :)

I've seen families with young children at Donington most years. They seem to be OK as long as the weather is comfortable and they stay out of the tight spaces ! A few years back myself and a mate were backup the hill watching RATM and there was a Mom and Dad with 2 boys beside us. The kids were probably under 10, but they had to leave mid-set as the poor lads were knackered and falling asleep!!
Doesn't he look young in those pics! :D

It's one of the two great changes at Donnington. First off, there is a much higher percentage of female festival goers at Download than back when I first went (the early 80's), and second there is indeed a good number of families with young kids there.

Let's face it, it wasn't that long ago you didn't even have family camping at Download! Now there's a whole section just for Families.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom