• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Downlighting help :-)

eleets01

Standard Member
Hi folks,

I recently moved into a bungalow and am currently looking at updating the living room. The room is 5.2m by 4m (roughly). I was thinking of an 8, 9 or 12 downlight configuration, I.e. 2 rows of 4(8), 3 rows of 3 (9) or 3 rows of 4 (12). What do you think would be best choice for this? I'm probably more tempted to go for 12, but if I can get away with 9 then that would be ideal too.

The ceiling currently has a bad crack running along the full width of the room. I am pretty sure this crack will come back, so I am going to install a suspended ceiling(rather than re-skim) approx 125mm below the current ceiling. (Yes I know, its a big job for a little fix, but resheeting isn't really an option as the loft insulation is laid on top of it, and the centre of the loft has been floored, so just easier to lower) Are there any specific regulations about the air gap required above each fitting, or is it manufacturer specified? I see that more or less all 240v GU10 FR LED fittings are over 100mm in height, so would only leave 20 or 30mm max above fitting, which I don't think is good. Are the integrated LED units any good? They are much shorter in height, but if there are any problems I'd have to change a full fitting rather than just a lamp...

Any help and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Roy :)

blue max

Distinguished Member
Just another thought, but plasterboarding over the existing ceiling - ensuring you bridge the gap would likely solve your cracking issue.
Downlighters usually fit between joists, so as long as they fit, they will be fine. Ideally you should not have insulation tight around them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom