Downlight Advice (Under Flat Roof)

Mafo

I've scoured the net and used the search function on here but I just cant find the advice that I need.

The situation is that I would like to install downlighters in my lounge as part of a new install.

I live in a top floor purpose built flat with a flat roof directly above me. The ceiling construction appears to be plasterboard (skimmed) fixed to wooden joists and noggins. On top of this is fixed plywood (assume Marine, if it makes any difference) and then the roof is ashphalt.

Due to not being able to install from above, I have finished a room already by cutting a hole in the ceiling, feeding the wires through before removing / pushing aside the insulation so that there is a large gap around the light which is a fire rated cast number with a "back" on it.

In the hallway, I decided to "drop" the ceiling by fixing timbers to the existing joists / ceiling and then refixing new plasterboard to it. This left a void of about 100mm and here I fitted the downlighters without a "back". Cables were passed through the timbers I fixed, through a pre-drilled hole and the choc boxes are fixed to the old ceiling.

I've been reading more online and realise that the first method was not a very good idea and I will deal with this in due course. My question is, by lowering the ceiling and not disturbing the insulation / existing plasterboard, will my lighting comply with the relevant legislation?

I would appreciate your advice, particulary if you are a suitably trained electrician!! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom