• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Downgrade time-what are my options?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

We've got Sky + HD & have decided we don't watch enough TV anymore to justify the £60 or so we're splashing out each month.

Here's how it breaks down:

• Sky phone line=£11 (approx).
  • Sky HD Sub=£10.
  • Sky Sports=£20 (approx).
  • Sky Channel Package=£19 (approx).

So there's the £60 or so we pay to Sky every month. :eek:

Obviously I'm in for roughly £11 per month for a phone line (for our ADSL as we can't get cable) whatever happens but I'm thinking of either ditching Sky altogether and getting a FreeSat+ FOXSAT HDR box or maybe keeping the Sky HD box and going what I believe is "FTA", but I'm not sure what this FTA malarkey entails, what I will get and what it will cost! :oops:

All suggestions/advice welcome. :)

Thanks. :thumbsup:

logiciel

Hi.
The only free HD channels are BBC a few hours a night, ITV a few programmes a week, Luxe 24/7; and C4 24/7 but mostly upscaled HD can be had on a £20 one-off card.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi.
The only free HD channels are BBC a few hours a night, ITV a few programmes a week, Luxe 24/7; and C4 24/7 but mostly upscaled HD can be had on a £20 one-off card.

So I could just cancel my Sky sub, get a £20 card (where from?) and that's it?

Would I not need to pay Sky the £10 per month to be able to get BBC HD/ITV HD & C4 HD?

Plus what would be my options to be able to record (if there are any)?

Cheers.

DJMS

Established Member
You wont be able to record. Best bet is to go for one "mix" at a cost of £18 per month as this will give you the ability to use all the sky plus functionality still.

Try calling to cancel just sports plus some mixes first. I did this a few month back and got 25% off for 6 months.

F

Fatwaz

if you were going for a freesat box dont forget you will have to fork out £150 roughly for the pvr.if you did you wouldnt have sky sports so by just canceling that you save £20 a month and of course you would also only be able to watch a couple of hd channels so getting rid of the hd sub is another £10.keep the mixes you have or reduce to the minimum if you really dont watch a lot and you will still be able to use the sky boxes recording facilities.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Here's what we have....

• Sky+ Subscription £0.00
  • Sky+HD Pack £10.00
  • 4 Pack with Sports Pack £39.00
  • Subtotal £49.00
  • Sky Talk Phone Line £11.00
  • Total=£60.00

Last edited:

DJMS

Established Member
Here's what we have....

• Sky+ Subscription £0.00
  • Sky+HD Pack £10.00
  • 4 Pack with Sports Pack £39.00
  • Subtotal £49.00
  • Sky Talk Phone Line £11.00
  • Total=£60.00

So you could reduce to:

Sky+ Subscription £0.00
Sky Talk Phone Line £11.00
1 pack £18:00

Total £29.00

If you phone up to do this they might just do it or might make you an offer....

I wanted to drop ESPN, movies and 3 packs (cant remember) and they offered me 25% off for 6 months which allowed me to keep everything (bar ESPN) I was planning to drop for 50p per month :D

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
So you could reduce to:

Sky+ Subscription £0.00
Sky Talk Phone Line £11.00
1 pack £18:00

Total £29.00

If you phone up to do this they might just do it or might make you an offer....

I wanted to drop ESPN, movies and 3 packs (cant remember) and they offered me 25% off for 6 months which allowed me to keep everything (bar ESPN) I was planning to drop for 50p per month :D

Just noticed that Sky are also offering 6 months free BB at the mo, so I wondered if I could get that and save the £7 I'm currently paying O2?

I think there's a £30 "connection fee" with the BB offer, so that may wipe out any potential cost saving there. :rolleyes:

Current O2 BB: 12 x £7.34=£88.08 per year.
Sky offer=6 months free, then 6 x £10 per month=£60, plus £30 "connection fee"=£90 per year. :thumbsdow

scarey

Established Member
azzin, you need to be in a qualifying area to receive the sky special broadband offer...your telephone exchange must have the sky 'llu' equipment installed. you can find out by putting your postcode in on sky's webpage...

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
azzin, you need to be in a qualifying area to receive the sky special broadband offer...your telephone exchange must have the sky 'llu' equipment installed. you can find out by putting your postcode in on sky's webpage...

I can get Sky BB LLU in my exchange. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom