1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downfiring Sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by HT Dude, Nov 21, 2000.

1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must confess this is one aspect of subwoofers which I really don't understand. I have had a QBass, Q100E, Stadium II and Studio II. The latter 2 being down firing.
    From the point of view of sound quality, with the RELs at least, it doesn't make any difference.

2. slamakn

slamakn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are downfiring subs better / worse than front firing ones? Surely the position of this is more important than front firing as the sound would be 'soaked up' by your carpet!!?? The one I am looking at is the Eltax Atomic A10 from Richer Sounds.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
    NPS

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has a Rel Storm, which is downward firing. When he moved from his old house which had a wooden floor, to a new one with concrete floors, he lost a lot of bass. I know that the floors may not have been the sole cause of this.
    In the end, he got the best result by laying the Storm on it's side.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an M&K VX-100 Sub. It is quite exquisite in performance. The sub fires down also.

As far as I am aware some subs demand extra pressure 'loading'. It's like pent up pressure that explodes more vigourously due to the fact that the driver is inches away from the floor.

Also, this loading gives the flattest frequency response and greatest output.

Regards

------------------
    Stewart C

An amateur but an enthusiast