1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downfirer to close to the ground?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chedmaster, Jul 8, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    As you can see in my pic, my MS308 is now pretty close to the ground, i took the spikes off and replaced them with a couple of blobs of blutac each. Sound is slightly more laid back and natural, and i prefer the sound its making with the "2 Fast 2 Furious" soundtrack, Feeder - Pushing the Senses, and AOTC, all I've tried so far.

I think I'm finally getting this beast to integrate with my fronts (you big sub owners are probably laughing at me calling it a beast, but i have enough change from this to go to Newquay with my mates next week so ha!).

I love a bit of heavy bass music, but get bored of it quickly, for example Jin - Peel Off and Chingy - Gettin' It.

Any way veering off topic. Is it too close to the ground? The lip of the cone protrudes about 2-3mm and theres about 1cm (maybe slightly less) space between base of sub and ground. I assume the sub was meant to be used like this as well as the spikes are removable? Maybe Tons of Fun can help me?

Its on a level concrete slabe as well so nothing to excite, I'm just wondering whether the sound reflecting back can have an adverse effect on the cone?

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You risk actually hitting the cone on the slab. 1cm is almost nothing in clearance terms for a nice wobbly subwoofer cone. Your sub is probably muffled because you've robbed it of its designed clearance.

If you find the bass too heavy on your favorite music tracks then turn the sub's gain/volume down! Or move the sub further away from the nearest corner. Or both! :)

Nimby

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its not in a corner anymore, and i shone a torch underneath and it isnt hitting or coming anywhere close, when i say the lip i mean the bit "attatching" it round the edge, the cone itself obviously isnt out this far. Forgot to attatch pics.

Attached Files:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The sound reflecting back won't have an adverse effect on the cone, I think the problem you have is that the sub simply isn't that great and you're growing tired of distortion. Not meaning to insult your purchase or choice but it's a budget sub and you're getting budget performance. :)

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    to be honest, its the first real sub ive heard, and all i bought it for is the rumble effect of movies, im not bass's biggest fan in music, i consider it very boy racer-ish :rolleyes: , and for movies all i wanted was the punch that i was missing before. For music atm i couldnt be happier (i.e. without sub) (unless i stole my dad's linn), and im still chuffed with the effect its having on movies.

I know if i heard a better sub i would want it desperately, and when i want something, i get it asap no matter how, very impatient :) !

I also like it to look good, but as you say im not doing any damage (hopefully :rolleyes: )

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm back home now so you can come and have a listen to my subs if you can afford to matey! Just send me a PM and we can sort something out. :)